Letting go

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

honeybera

Re: Letting go

Post by honeybera »

STRONG TRIGGERS!!! BEWARE!! You've been warned...
I have internet connection RIGHT NOW, so I thought I might swing by. I just finished watching MAID on Netflix, which I thought was going to be about a cleaning lady for the Mafia or something, but it was NOT that at all. It was all about domestic violence (DV), especially emotional violence. Wow. :shock: What a surprise. It was instead my own life story! It's funny, I'm being led back through my own life, fleeing emotional abuse to my friend's house to spend the night for fear Stupid S (SS), DS's dad, would do what he'd promised and give my DS (yes, the very same one) to his mother for her to send to Mexico ("and I'd NEVER see him again!!"), unsheathing his Buck knife and telling me in a rage that he'd cut my nipples off so I could not breast feed DS anymore IF I DARED to "cause trouble" at his mother's house for Xmas. I used to (kind of jokingly) cower down and say to him, "Si, jefe!" (yes, boss! - in Spanish) as I allowed him to torture me mentally and then my own daughter to get to me, to get that elusive control for him by making her squat for long periods of time in the kitchen or lay in her bed for days. (And I wonder why she hates me!) She was 11 at the time. :roll:

He also withdrew permission for me at literally the LAST MINUTE to use his van to drive to work (my bus driver job!) on my crucial first day of training! I remember stopping him from scaring me to death by facing up to him, then he simply turned to my daughter until I got enough backbone to stand up to him for her sake, too, but the corker was when my nearly 3 yr. old DS "wanted Mommy" to dress him, "not Daddy". SS's response? OMG, he BEAT HIM, putting SS's folded hands on top of DS's head while DS was sitting on the table and pushing down HARD!!! I thought he might break his neck. Then he grabbed DS by the leg, leaving his hand print as a bruise from grabbing him so hard, and beat him one-handed while holding him upside down like a punching bag! I tried to dial 911 and just lay the phone down, but accidentally hit "speaker" and the dial tone came on. SS spun around on me and said, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!?" I mumbled something about checking my messages and pushed the wrong button. He suddenly stopped, handed DS to me, I handed DS to DD, by then she was 12, and whispered, "Take him to our neighbors!!", which she did. He never physically hurt me, but he scared me to death MANY times, he DID hurt DD who told me later that she had figured out how to ease the pain of squatting for so long (it's a torture that he had learned in Vietnam), but the laying in her top bunk for days on end were horrible for her. Before SS stopped beating DS, he reminded me as he was doing it that he could do nothing PHYSICAL to DD or me, but that DS was HIS, and he could do whatever he wanted to do with him. He was right. Neither of us had LEGAL custody and both of us were DS's biological parents. He had all the rights that I did. TERRIFYING!!

After it was all over, SS had parked out in the front of the 168 unit complex (the Projects) in the street, a good walk of about 2-3 blocks, so I walked him out there and I forced a weak smile, and I even kissed him goodbye - but I knew that this was IT!! I was with this jackass for 5 long years, taking his abuse. I was in one of those "DV shelters" over Xmas when DS was only a few weeks old, same old story that time, and I was back there again many times. That's not counting when I was fleeing from him due to his mistreatment of me by going over to my friend's house. I recognized myself in the MAID story on so many levels! After the beating and getting SS out of there, I attempted to take DS to the nearby hospital emergency room. They said that they'd seen worse ("Where's his cigarette burns?") :roll: and refused to do anything! I was shocked! So I took him the 20 miles to our old Dr.'s office and he was appalled! He said he'd have to report this to the authorities and I said, "YES, PLEASE DO SO!" To this day, DS has serious problems with "moderate scoliosis" - caused by this day and the terrible beating he took?

I WAS going to donate all these really nice toys (from our day care)...Barbie dolls with tons of accessories, hand held playthings, tubs full of Legos, play mats for babies to lay and play on, a 5'x7' rug with roads embossed on it with lots of Matchbox sized cars, and a big "puppet theater" complete with a whole lot of puppets, all name brand stuff, like Mickey and Minnie, Pinocchio, and so on. I didn't want to give them away to be sold as some sort of "packaged up garage sale items", not even through the DAV. I DO need to let them go, though. Plus I have all these clothes of mine, mostly in 3x, taking up closet space. I would LOVE to share these clothes and toys with others who could really use them, and especially the kids and the puppet theater and all the puppets. But I'd like it if that could stay in the facility. Working out some of the fury and/or confusion the kids must be feeling, or even the mothers playing, too, or using the friendly puppets to reassure the kids or have them "act out" what they've seen or been through to help the counselors with how to understand and make their plans. Do it with play instead of confrontation. Let the puppets tell.

More "me" history: I was at a battered women shelter once where they were SO CORRUPT! It is why I plan to INSIST that these nice "toys" stay at the Shelter and that the clothing is given out only to the women. At this former Shelter, huge, big trucks full of donations would come in and pull up to the garage next to the dining room. But when those trucks came in, we residents all had to move to the front room and NOT LOOK at what they were doing out in the garage. Me being me, I had to take a peek...and what I saw made me gasp! As the truckloads of donated clothing was delivered, the STAFF at the Shelter was picking through it to give to THEIR OWN families!!! No wonder they didn't want us looking!! And I could HEAR them: "Oh look! Don't you think this coat would be perfect for my daughter/niece/mother/ME?" or "Oh, look at these toys! I'll put them away for next Xmas!" and on and on it went. When they had had their fill of new and used items, the cream of the crop, they would allow us to pick over SOME of the remaining items in a couple of cardboard boxes. I don't want that to happen with my donations. I don't think it will in this place I'm going. It more reminds me of the other place I went, the honest place. But I'm still going to check and ask at least.

I've also got a nice student desk out in the garage. It's ancient (1974) and has no chair, but it's totally functional. Plus those two chest of drawers (someone could use them, I'm sure), taking up room in the storage room. And there's SO MUCH BEDDING AND PILLOWS AND TOWELS that I'm sure that they would welcome. But just do help the poor, fleeing women and their kids, and not just your greedy selves and I'm GOLDEN!

==================(Tuesday evening)

It was predictable. DS is home and now I have NO INTERNET CONNECTION AGAIN. It's really getting to me. Yesterday he was working and I had internet. So I paid ALMOST ALL of my bills while I still had my connection. I PAY for my connection (AND HIS!), but I only have it for a few minutes at a time. I can't check my money, can't pay my bills, can't study anything like recipes and how-to videos re: the freeze dryer, can't order anything online. AARRGGHH! :x And I can only write on here, but cannot send it off. I'm getting depressed. I have barely been out of my room for days. I have no water in my room ATM and haven't eaten much in days, either. Having eye-popping pains in my abdomen and slight nausea, too. I'm not even hungry. I see my Dr. on Monday, but I cancelled my mammography/hand-and-foot x-rays today due to the pains in my abdomen.

I just found (by using my cell phone) an extender online because it's what I think I need to "extend" that internet connection into my bedroom thru two walls from DS's bedroom where the router is. So I texted a pic of the extender to my ODS to see if that is what I need. I am SO DUMB and unsure of myself about all of this! I got a tiny bit of relief tonight when the internet popped on for a sec. ODS says that DS is using up so much of the broadband (d/l movies, playing massive games, and so on, which sucks up the broadband. DS oftentimes takes the flash drives to work to entertain himself while he guards) that with my already weak connection I'm getting only "intermittent" internet signals. It's why it's so "off and on". SO FRUSTRATING!!! ODS should probably let me know by morning. I even know where I'm about to plug it in - and it's good for a boost of 2500 Sq. ft. That's my entire house! So it should be ok. When N was here and trying to get a job online, he complained of this exact thing. I had an extender (circa 2014) in my room ever since because when N got a job, he left it here. Not much trouble with an internet connection then, but DS and I unhooked it for some reason. Now I'm having the same trouble again. I've never felt so isolated! I can't even reach you guys when something triggers me like that Netflix series MAID. Wow, it really took me back!

================(Wednesday midnight)

I am so thrilled!! I probably have a "home" for EVERYTHING! All my old clothes, the puppet theater, puppets, and other toys, maybe the old desk in the garage, maybe even the rolltop cluttering up the storage room plus the two old chest of drawers from my welfare days!! The lady called me "generous"! :lol: No, they are helping ME to heal by allowing me to clean out my house of my old things to help other women who have suffered from DV and their children. They even have a secret location where the women are placed temporarily - EXACTLY what I went through!! Tears are in my eyes as I write this because it makes me so HAPPY to do this. The sense of loss is GONE. And the offices are right here in downtown! I CAN DELIVER IT in my pickup. Cost of gas for that old gas-guzzler be damned!! I have never felt so blessed. I am safe from all of those in my past who wanted to hurt me. I am safe. I am safe.

I will call the DV shelter in the morning to set things up. Pain in my gut be damned! Maybe I'm just hungry. Maybe I just shouldn't be eating too many carbs (like I have been lately). Finding this place, finding it so close to me, having my truck running, tags and all...it makes this just feel right. I guess MD began this journey for me, but others have completed the job. I have to face it that I married my first husband within two months of when he drugged me and raped me (I was a virgin) so "he would know that I was his". My God, I should have RUN AWAY from even marrying him!! Cruel bastard!! In fact, I've been raped three times by 3 different men. And I know from DV, too. One of my rapists, a Marine just back from Vietnam, a former boyfriend and a coworker, held me in my apt. all night, waking if I even moved, even walking me to bathroom and guarding the door to the windowless bathroom. When he said to me at first, "I'm going to rape you.", I scoffed. I said, "Yeah!? You and what army?" and he hauled off and hit me so hard that I flipped over backwards clear down the small hallway. When he raped me, I SCREAMED my head off, fighting him, until he grabbed my throat and choked me HARD...and I heard something go snap in my neck. I quit fighting and he let go of my neck and continued to rape me. I didn't know that the security guard was dealing with some disturbance up in the front of those apts. and could not hear me. He held me there until we went to work TOGETHER the next morning. I called MD from the offices there in a panic, told her what had happened, and that I was about to call the police...and she said, "Don't bother. They won't believe you anyway." and she convinced me not to call the police. So I did not call them.

Looking back on all of this, from infancy to childhood to adulthood, to have come this far after all of this, it's a darned MIRACLE!! I am SOOOO BLESSED!!!! I SURVIVED!! ALL OF IT!! I SURVIVED!!!!!!! I believe that what I'll do is call the Shelter People first thing in the morning and make my offer to the manager to donate my things, but then FINISH the front yard weeding (it's only like 1/3 of the front yard), put the license plate tags on the truck, and then get into the storage room and move out all those toys. Same with the stuff marked DAV in my foyer. I KNOW that everything will be going to help these moms and kids. Maybe finish cleaning off the desk in the garage so someone can use it as a school desk. Maybe get DS to help me move the rolltop desk out, too, and just donate it. They have him working like crazy starting on Thursday, so I'd better grab him now. Every thing I do, I am doing it for those women (and children) who are being victimized by some jerk. These are some really insecure men (usually men) who need to control instead of giving love and kindness to keep their women happy. No one flees their home for no reason. It's heartbreaking to flee, it really is. Scary, too. I vividly remember driving the bus night after night and thinking about SS, thinking, "OMG. What if he LEAVES? What will I do without him??", and I'd begin to cry...yes, while driving the bus! **DING!** "NEXT STOP, DRIVER!" :lol: It seems funny now, but it wasn't then! Talk about looking for love in all the wrong places!

The creepiest part of the entire SS debacle was when he called me maybe a week after I got the courage to come back to my apt. from the DV shelter where I'd been staying. I'd left him a note to tell him I'd left: "You always said that all I needed to do was tell you to leave and you would. Please do." He'd gone back to his mother's house some 300 miles away, but then he called me. When I confronted him with the beating of our son, he said, "No, that never happened. It NEVER HAPPENED." He didn't yell this, but nearly whispered it, like trying to hypnotize me. What an idiot!! :lol: I then found out that HE was the one that BEAT my son severely on Father's Day a mere 3 months before the beating that I observed. He brought DS back from SS's mother's bruised from his shoulders to his butt, big, round bruises, and DS was terrified to strip down for his bath, something that he usually enjoyed. I did call the police that time, but SS thoroughly denied it, and even I believed him. It seems that DS, then 2, had wet his pants. SS, feeling ashamed that HIS SON had wet himself, didn't want to appear to be a bad parent in front of his mother and older brother, so he beat his child HARD. Oh yeah, good idea...IDIOT!!

==================(Thursday midnight)

Now it's 2am. The computer is working ATM. I pulled up the place online that I want to give the puppet theater and all the puppets to. To put it into their hands, especially when doing counseling with their clients, takes all the burden of loss right off my back. That feeling of terrible sacrifice is gone and is replaced with a sense of happy duty and plain JOY to be able to help. They were duly impressed last night by my generosity. However, just getting nearer to going to that place and all those frightened, depressed, and dependent women - my God, what a TRIGGER for me!!! I'm sure that each has her own story. I don't know them, but I was them. Does that make sense? I don't like facing that. I really don't. Did I make myself a target for MD's Flying Monkeys that MD didn't know and wasn't aware of? And if she did know, did that matter to her? It did make me 'less than", and after all, wasn't that the ultimate goal? "I just can't break your spirit!!" :x Well, maybe 3 rapes and 2 failed marriages and 20 yrs. in abject poverty living in the Projects that racially despised me would do the trick for her. All were her Flying Monkeys and all gave her intense pleasure. She called me "used goods" and "damaged goods" and had me put out my cigarette and step off the porch so "the neighbors wouldn't see me and think that I was her daughter". She called me "deformed" and yanked my towel off me, leaving me standing there naked. No, I had plenty of training on how to be the Queen of Low Self Esteem at her hands.

But the trick was on HER!! :lol: WITHOUT a MAN around, I managed to turn my whole entire life around - slowly, to be sure, over decades of time, but I DID IT! You know, they have peer counseling there at the Shelter. Maybe I should just write a book about my own experiences. Really tell on MD good!! :P "BREAK MY SPIRIT!!" BE DAMNED!!!! Maybe if I wrote it all down, I could let it go. It doesn't mean that I approve of what she did or her reaction to what other did TO me as time went on (her gloating satisfaction must have been positively observable as she learned of each time it happened!), but I never wanted her to get away with it unscathed. She tried to ruin my connection with my DB, my only sibling, but with his wife's passing from COVID, we are now becoming close again. I never really hated him. But now we are getting closer.

Write a book. Hmm. It's a thought.

Let me try to send this off.
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Well, it sent! And I have an internet connection (for right now), but I have BOOTS laying here next to my computer chair along side of me, quietly on a lovely down-stay, and I just had to share. She's my VERY yappy and energetic one, but right now she is as quiet as a mouse (no pun intended). I keep petting her on occasion and giving her a couple of those DELUXE, yummy training treats. Spot is gone, and I'll never EVER forget her, BUT Spot's passing is not the fault of either of my pups. They miss ME because I miss Spot, so today I decided to let them in individually. Lots of pets and cuddles along with a bit of training, like teaching the usually noisy and pestering Boots (who paws at me and "talks" to me in a whiny teenaged voice - I swear! :lol: ) to instead give me what I want and need at this time, to simply lie beside me quietly and be my dog, my companion. And unbelievably, she did so! YAY!!! :mrgreen: Same with Mittens, although both have their own distinct personalities and need different training focuses. They are also VERY jealous of any attention given by me to the other, so I separate them sometimes to give them individual and more focused attention and training. It works out better that way.

Mittens did wait until she went into the kitchen later on after DS got home from work tonight, squatted right there in front of both DS and I, and PEED this big puddle!! :shock: We BOTH shouted at her mid-pee. She stopped shortly...and ran off, skulking, ears down, confused and embarrassed! The breeder said to hold their nose to it and scold, but Mittens was playing doggie keep away, plainly shamed already, so instead I just pointed to the "offense" and said disapprovingly, "OH MITTENS! Look at what you did!" She knew. You could see it. She got the point.

But it was also not the end of the world, so we then called both of them over and gave both of the dogs love and pets before putting them to bed. Then I laid down a paper towel over the pee puddle, it soaked it up, DS gathered it up, and I can seriously sweep, bleach water mop, and then steam sanitize the floor in the morning. It needs it anyway. I find that by now I am an expert at cleaning up "messes" - thanks, Spot. :roll: That's a part of having her here that I don't miss, but it is over now. And Mittens and Boots LIVE to please me, so correcting a "whoopsie" or two should not be a problem. These are such sensitive dogs that a harsh word and a pointed finger should do it. They could so easily be cowed with harsh treatment. They are feists, ornery, scrappy little dogs, with docked tails erect and a proud stance and bright eyes, dogs that love to hunt and protect. But they need guidance on potty training, too. They never foul their pen anymore. No potty pads are needed, even though they are in the pen without access to outside for hours, 10pm-7am daily according to our town's rules. They are anxious to go out in the morning, I would be, too, and if they could keep quiet throughout the night OUTSIDE, I would not even keep them inside without access, but up to now that is just impossible. The rats outside (or anyone or anything else uninvited) would just be too much for them not to go wild over at 1am! Nope, nope, nope. Not yet.

It's really nice that I'm finally beginning to get to know my dogs, and they get to know ME more, too. They are amazing! I can see many years of happiness ahead with all of us. I need to be outside with them more. I have my Annie's Annuals plants arriving any time now. OMG, I have SO MUCH to do! And the hot weather is coming. We're about to have our first 92ºF day tomorrow! :oops: Now granted, that's only really scorching from about 1pm-6pm. After that, it's a mere 88º at 6pm and 83º at 7pm. Walk in the park time! 8-) :lol: But starting at sunny 7 AM, it's only 57ºF. I need to get to sleep at night and not sleep all day because I've stayed up all night. Doing what? Not much, really. And I get up at 3-5pm, but with the heat coming, that's not such a good idea. I need to be up and ready to go at 7am to beat the heat while gardening and cleaning out that garage, which is a real option now.

I'm not the only one who does this. Many other elderly folks do it, too. And they can if they want to, but I have all my killer plants and trees ON THE WAY here, big, beautiful HUMMINGBIRD favorites in all colors (mostly reds, blues, purples, oranges, and bright yellows) that are also heat and drought tolerant. Some are also very rare plants. I just got my tulle (pronounced TOOL) material ( from eBay), like the stuff they sometimes make tutus out of for ballerinas, because I saw online how rats, gophers, and other pests (even cats) can't stand the FEEL of this lovely material on their claws/nails. It's off putting to them. Eewww!!! So they just avoid it and whatever crop it's over. I'm going to wrap my trees with it and spread it over the tops of my tall planters, like a floating row cover. Water and sun easily go right through it, but the rats and birds can't eat my strawberries before me, not with my tulle messing with their claws! Same with my fruit trees. They ate all the SKINS off every one of my lemons!! Not the lemons themselves, but the SKINS ONLY! Ruined my entire crop last year. So I got a LOT of ivory colored tulle and plan to even tack it up on the fence to prevent the rats from running up the fence and across the top of it (making my dogs go NUTS!!) and then slip back down and out of site. I'll just staple some up directly onto the fence and stuff some down into the crevices that the rats take advantage of. Try your trickery on TULLE, Rats!! :lol: I pray that it works.

==================(Friday)

Great day with the pups! My new microwave popcorn makers arrived. We tried to make popcorn in the IP some weeks ago = bitter disappointment! Barely even popped. So I got these foldable silicon poppers (Amazon), straight from China, a real gamble, but with great reviews, so I got 2 of them, blue for me, red for DS, and I tried them out this evening. WOWEE! IT WORKS!!! NO oil, NO butter, just a scant bit of popcorn (PLAIN!!) and nuke it! In about a minute or two (if that long), it begins to POP POP POP like crazy and lifts up the lightweight silicon lid on a bed of several cups of WHITE, wonderful, fragrant POPCORN!! OMG, it is SO GOOD. When DS got home from, he tried it out, and he loves it, too. Yum, yum, eat 'em up!! :lol:

=================(Monday - wee hours)

I'm still up at 4am. I'm back at this "up all night" nonsense again. DS is working his rear end off - they're giving him these HUGE 12 hour shifts about 100 miles away, so there's additional travel time (3 more hours round trip!) as well. That's a 15 hour day. So I even put away the dishes as well as load them up, and will finish the front yard as soon as it's light out when I'm awake. I have to be super careful with my balance and movement. There is no one to rescue me right away. I'm thinking about getting one of those Life Alert things: "I've fallen and I can't get up!" :lol: Hey, it could happen!

The pups are mellowing nicely. They still bark, but it's softer and not so shrill! I'm getting to know them and them me a whole lot more! I'm also letting them into the house a LOT more. It was exciting for them at first, but now they just lay down happily and watch me. Tomorrow I'm starting on the Storage Room (there's PLENTY to do in there! And I think I can get a lot done by myself while DS is at work.) plus I want to BEGIN to wash out the food grade storage buckets and fill them up with all this rice and beans and pop in some oxygen absorbers. I have everything to do this, and I believe that I can still heft a 20# sack of stuff, whatever it is. I may need to unbox and unearth some of my freeze dryer accessories already, but this has absolutely nothing to do with my freeze dryer. I'll need DS to pick up and move (to the garage probably) all the leftover vinyl planking that dear N left behind when he sort of "did my floor" when he was here in 2017. :roll: That stuff I cannot lift. But it needs to be moved to give ample access to our electrician when he comes over to install the "dedicated 20 AMP plug" necessary for the freeze dryer.

And I need to actually CLEAN that area, too. All that activity is upsetting our "pet spiders" in the family room area! :lol: Cobwebs galore! But waving my dry mop around is doing wonders getting rid of them. And I need to get busy dusting, too. Even the actual floor itself. DUSTY. I'll clean off the dust from the ceiling fan, too, while I'm at it. Then I'll hit the Storage Room once that one section of wall is cleared off (about 10' long - currently has toys and mystery boxes of little importance), wash out some of my new food grade buckets and lids, add some large (6 gallon Mylar bags) full of easily stored food items into the buckets, pop in a OA (Oxygen Absorber - I have all sizes) or two into each bag and tap on a lid or use a Gamma lid - oh, I already forgot that I need to locate my impact sealer to seal the Mylar bags before putting them into the buckets. :| THERE IS SO MUCH TO LEARN! Difficult to do the first time, but I'm SURE it will get easier and much quicker as time goes on. And between this learning and learning Spanish and playing my word games on my phone, I double dog dare Alzheimer's to show its ugly face around here! :lol:

I am so grateful to all of those people who have taken the time to video all sorts of tips and tricks on how to do all of these things. Otherwise, I'd be lost! "Do this." or "Don't do that." or "NEVER EVER do this!!" to save me from making too many mistakes along the way. How can retirees "be bored" when there are so many adventures to be had? Next up (maybe today?): Get my new 1T computer (from several years ago - just never set up b/c IDK how) out of the hallway - and before that get my folding table (a like brand new 6' long Lifetime folding table to be used as a desk) all set up and get my computer and 27"monitor unboxed and set on the "desk", its new home. My dusty printer will be moved off the top of the cardboard box it's been sitting on for the last 20 yrs. and onto the "desk". The folding table is slightly bigger than the ghetto setup I currently have. :roll: :lol: OMG. So I'll have to have DS do the lifting - and he's working tomorrow...BUT I can get it all ready for him for when he's not working. Onward and upward!

===========(Wednesday wee hours)

I'm trying to correct my crazy sleep schedule. Got up at midnight. Now I'm working on cleaning the floor in front of my bathtub where Spot oftentimes made her toilet. We had a potty pad down there for her. Sometimes she made it on there and sometimes she didn't. Both #1 and #2. What a mess after a year of hit and miss, even with periodic cleanings. But tonight's the night for the final cleaning. :cry: It reminds me that she's really gone. No wonder I've been avoiding it.

That final cleaning includes a thorough washing and bleach watering of my new "desk" for the new desk top computer which served as a block of my shower and shower mat area. DS is now home from work, soon to be rested, and eager to help me set things up. (Thank heavens!) He even FINISHED the front yard weedeating yesterday without being asked!! :shock: I also learned that my Annie's Annuals order is FINALLY going arrive today...INCLUDING <drum roll please> my 3 purple tree collard plants! :mrgreen: I can hardly wait!! Also included:
Item ID Product Name Quantity Unit
378 Echium gentianoides 'Tajinaste' 1
377 Echium fastuosum "Pride of Madeira" 1
2597 Ceanothus 'Ray Hartman' 3
4787 Abutilon 'David's Red' "Flowering Maple" 1
3600 Kale 'Richmond's Pride' "Purple Tree Collard" 3
926 Salvia mexicana 'Limelight' 1
1008 Streptosolen jamesonii "Marmalade Bush" 1
2854 Tecoma x smithii "Orange Belles" 1
ALL of these except for the Tree Collards are hummingbird plants. Those two on the top (Tajinaste are tiny blue bells, and Pride of Madeira are tall bluish-purple plumes of tiny blossoms), both on evergreen plants. The Ray Hartmans are HUGE plants or trees, depending on pruning, 15'x15', covered in purple trumpet flowers (for my hummers), and lovers of HEAT and SUN and even DROUGHT tolerant, so to the back fence for them to block my neighbors view directly into my bedroom on a 15'-20' tree with lovely lilac-like flowers that hummingbirds go nuts for! The Abutilon is a red hanging trumpet flowering shrub. The salvia "Limelight" is a real knockout, with vibrant Chartreuse colored leaves and stems with bright purple flowers - so pretty! The Marmalade Bush is a multicolored orange-red-yellow tubular blossoms all over a nice evergreen tree, and the Tecoma Orange Belles is just what it sounds like: orange bell-shaped flowers "cluster-bunched" all over another evergreen shrub/tree. All hummingbird FAVORITES!

=================(Wednesday noon)

THEY HAVE ARRIVED!! And they all look great, as they always do with Annie's. You should see those Purple Tree Collards!! VERY purple and VERY tall! Like 18" tall! I paid as much for my Green Tree Collard as I did for all three of these and all are about the same health-wise. The Echiums look like the weeds I pull in the backyard...well, so far. I have faith. And they are also very rare. Even Annie's is out of stock on them now. They come from an active volcanic island off the coast of Africa that's about to blow, so to preserve these plants that are used to blistering heat and drought conditions, I bought a couple for up against the back fence (warm in winter, able to tolerate the summer heat, too). Most of these plants are happy in "hot and dry" conditions. I'm thinking forward until summertime.

Lots of transplanting to do. I have LOTS of pots and LOTS of enriched seed starting 'soil' to fill them with. Plenty to do. Never really bored. Need to plant those collard trees right now.

Honeybera
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

7:30am Friday morning 4/15/22

I am dating these posts since I never know when they will send or refuse to send, so I just keep adding to them. They eventually will send, but I never know when I'll actually have an internet connection. The frustration with this and the push to be the responsible one and to be ABSOLUTELY perfect when making it happen is causing me some actual physical problems, especially in my gut. I'm getting pains all over in my abdomen, sometimes so strong that they wake me up from a dead sleep. It may be IBS? But I don't have an actual diagnosis from my (quack) doctor yet. I have lost so much faith in him (and all the rest of the "doctors") since the pandemic. :roll:

Part of the (IBS) problem is stress. I try not to be stressed, but I also can't just ignore it. I do try to find delight wherever I see it, like in my new plants (SO gorgeous and healthy ATM!!) or watching my dopey dogs playing with each other. I'm in the process of training my barely one yr. old pups to stay inside with me when DS is at work, especially at night. Ancient old Spot filled the bill before, although she wouldn't hurt a fly or even bark at one. Not so with the pups. In fact, they just learned why one doesn't try to catch the bees on the rosemary plant. The honeybees just love those tiny blue rosemary blossoms on the outstretched droopy arms of the plant, and the dogs thought it was great sport to bounce the limbs and get the bees all excited and then snap at them and try to catch them by snapping at them like they did with the flies in the yard. Well, they eventually did catch them. :lol: It only took one time per dog and some swollen muzzles. But they got the idea. I haven't seen them batting at the rosemary bush in some time.

I also got to wondering why I hadn't gotten my tax refund yet. It's been over a month that (I thought) I had sent them off. So I checked. With my antiquated computer and my unstable internet connection, I managed to finally see what I needed to. To my absolute horror, I realized that it had NOT been sent electronically (e-file) and that I have until Monday (by the grace of God!!!) to send it off by snail mail. So I packaged it up and sent it off. WHEW! :roll: But the STRESS I had to go through with this crappy computer (a 14 yr. old Dell laptop with a sketchy battery!!!), my 27" TV "monitor" (DS thought he'd "save me money" by getting a TV instead of an actual monitor :roll: ), my outdated keyboard that has keys that stick sometime, and a printer that sometimes will take the paper and sometimes will not. Add to that the intermittent internet connection and you get the picture. STRESS!!!!! And I am responsible to keep the house running financially. RESPONSIBLE!! :|

And the rolltop desk is still in the "storage room", taking up room and blocking many of the areas I need to store OTHER things in there and unclutter the rest of the house. I feel like a broken record asking DS to move that freakin' desk (and the two old Welfare chest of drawers, too)!! As soon as that's done, I can begin to move Part of the storage room fiasco is my fault, too, but I could really use some help with certain items. This is difficult at best and impossible at its worst.

I need to still find a "home" for all the old day care toys, especially that puppet theater and all the puppets that go with it. I don't want to store it. Maybe give it to someone who works with kids with a history of abuse. The DV shelter said they're not taking any donations.

=====================(Friday Noon)

I'm so frustrated that I could...well, let's just say I'm frustrated. NO INTERNET CONNECTION AGAIN!! DS took off in his car without a word, so he's gone. I finally found someone who deals with child abuse victims in a children's hospital setting and she is SUPER grateful to receive the puppet theater for her therapy sessions. I was so happy! She's also taking all the Barbies, the Barbie doll house, the puppets (if I can find them - I saw them some weeks ago, but now they're gone again), all the Legos, the 5'x7' "road carpet" (for running cars on - it's like new), and all the fold-up interactive games/kits (and there are many in perfect shape up in the closet), but I need DS to help me move all this to the front room, staging this for the big donation on Monday. I need to clean most of these things up. Most are just really dusty after sitting for the last 25 yrs. I managed to drag the puppet theater down the hall to the kitchen and I cleaned it up nicely. Still no DS to help me move the rest of it. AARRGGHH!!!

He just texted me. He's working again. :roll: So far, that's 6 out of 7 days! And he's supposed to be PT. It leaves me too alone. I can deal with some isolation, but this is getting to be TOO much isolation with no relief in sight! I've learned to enjoy my alone time, but this is TOO MUCH. DS gets home by 9:30pm tonight, but I'll be deeply asleep by then. I'll get up in the wee hours and he'll be asleep. I may see him for a couple of hours [MAYBE!!], they'll call him in on an "emergency" basis :roll: AGAIN, and we go through the same thing! I CANNOT DO THIS ENTIRE HOUSE ALONE AND ALL BY MYSELF!! IT'S TOO MUCH!! AND I'M NO SPRING CHICKEN! Can't be up on a ladder unsupervised anymore. Maybe I should look into those Life Alert systems. MD had one.

At least I have the dogs. If I get creeped out or overwhelmed by something, they will happily check out the house for me. I am SURE that if they found anyone, I would pity that person! They would attack. Boots would bark, but Mittens (aka Avalanche :lol: ) would nail them! She's freaked out whenever DS comes in from outside until she recognizes him.

This wouldn't be so bad if I had a working computer. I tried to watch a youtube video...wait! It crapped out on my phone, but I can try it on my TV! HUZZAH!! :mrgreen: I'm going to see if I can pull up a video on how to set up my own computer! It scares me to death. I need to transfer ALL MY FILES AND DIRECTORIES from the laptop onto the new HD and I'm so afraid that I'll screw it up. TERRIFIED!!!!!!!!!!!!! Every man in my family knows exactly how to do it, but here I sit...ignorant as hell!! DB even worked at a bank as their IT guy and ODS currently works in the Midwest as a networking specialist supervisor.

==============(Sunday early morning - HAPPY EASTER!)

No internet connection still. STILL! It's wearing on me. I can't even "talk" to you guys! Even DS isn't here or is sleeping for work the next day due to a 3 hour travel time turnaround + an 8-12 hr. workday. This is the second week of them working him FULL TIME rather than part time. In fact, he's working MUCH MORE than a 40 hr. week!! But I hate to tell him to work less since he's trying to pay off our outrageous car insurance bill (which he created by getting a ticket doing 105 mph!! :o ) before Oct. when it will restart again. I still pay (up front) the standard bill, but I am refusing to pay the EXTRA thousands more due to that ticket he got. So I hate to say, "Don't work so much." He's trying to do what's right, and I hate to stand in his way when he is.

The trouble is that this absolute isolation I am facing is driving me deeper into depression, and I can do nothing about it. Every "support group" I thought I had has been slowly disappearing: Spot died (truly a mixed blessing, but I really miss her more than I thought I would), DS isn't even here (and I really need him to help me with the heavy lifting during the decluttering and organizing), and even my wonderfully distracting internet (cooking, gardening, and a ton of other things to keep me occupied) isn't there for me anymore as my formerly faithful computer dies. What's worse, DS (and even ODS) keeps telling this 75 yr. old with NO training to set up my OWN computer and switch ALL my current files and bookmarks (and they are legion!) over to the new desk top, to just "take the risk". :roll: THIS COMPLETELY OVERWHELMS ME!! I sometimes attempt to start on it...and then the first thing that happens is the instructions begin to use technical terms that are WAY above my pay grade and stymie me COMPLETELY, and in the process TERRIFY ME that I'll erase YEARS of carefully saved files and directories FOREVER!! "No, you can't mess things up like that. Just do it.", they tell me.

And I know that I need to do this, BUT BUT BUT...!!! WHAT IF...???!!! :cry: I am here all alone, not even anyone to tell me what to do, or more appropriately, HOW TO. I am not unintelligent. MD used to call me STUPID and LAZY all the time (and UGLY, too), but I never have been any of those things. How I learned to cope with things that made me feel "out of control" was to STOP COLD. Just follow orders, sit down, and shut up, in other words, withdraw. It never exactly worked with MD (nor anyone else for that matter), but it always seemed to help somewhat. So yesterday I allowed myself a "day off". It felt like depression, and like overwhelming anxiety and even panic. I allowed myself to BE SICK and just lay around. In fact, just walking to the other end of the house felt like climbing Mt. Everest! I feel like I have nowhere to turn to but this forum (isurvive.org, but without a real "connection", an INTERNET connection), AND I MEAN NOWHERE, to just write it out to no one LISTENING, at least for now. Even now I'm beginning to tear up. :cry: This is just too sad. I don't deserve this.

OK, so what to do? Hm. I have lots of plants now that need me, as do my dear pups. I need to water my yard. Yesterday I cleaned out my weed overrun tall planter, rescued my lovely Cha Cha Chives and gave them a much needed haircut, and it looks much happier now over there. In the planter next to it, I have a couple of fuchsias that have rooted into the soil right through the 4" plastic cups they came in many years ago. I could be kind to them today. There's also in that planter oregano, dill, and a nice lilac bush that needs a more PERMANENT place to live. Refill my pups/birds water dish (by simply doing my watering). And I desperately need to transplant my 3 GORGEOUS Purple Collard Trees out in my hobby room into nice roomy 1 gallon pots and set them outside in this fabulous 70ºF weather.

Maybe I can even try to clear what I can from the storage room before DS is finally able to help me in there. I just got a HUGE order from Walmart yesterday, mostly "triple roll" paper towels, that need to be cleared out of the front room. I may be able to drag those 6 big packages (and I mean BIG!) down the hallway to the storage room, one at a time, making a spot for paper products before DS crawls in the door exhausted this evening, ready for bed and SLEEP. I'll need to take my sweet time doing so, for I exhaust myself so easily these days. Just pulling them off the front porch yesterday took it all out of me! I don't even know what's inside the 3 other boxes that came in since I was just too tired to look or care. But we have outrageous porch pirates just itching for me to forget to get the packages inside, so unless they're just ridiculously heavy (and few are - I used to work for a moving company before being a bus driver, so I know how to move things, even heavy ones), I just move them on into the house. But yesterday was a real challenge!

OMG, old dingbat Mittens has taken to attacking my 2 gallon plastic watering jug! :lol: Something seems to be in there. She's sticking her nose in, and then begins tossing it around and barking at it. I welcome the ability to see that. It is definitely comic relief! Got to laugh at such a crazy dog!

I'm glad that I can still AT LEAST write it all out on here. I can't send it, but I can at least write it out. And I do have a lot of positive things I really need to do that will probably perk me up. I don't want to be depressed. I'm trying to cheer myself up. I could easily let go and wallow in this. I took one day off. Laid in bed most of the day. I even ate a big bowl of buttered popcorn and watched a Bruce Willis movie. :roll: :lol: WOW, what a wild child I am!! But to do that every day wouldn't be a kindness, and to give myself kindness and love I think may be the first step out of this depression.

=================(Easter - noontime)

Much, much better! Not perfect, but WAY better! I watered EVERYTHING! And I'm glad I did. Some things were about to "go South" due to needing a nice drink of water. I think I'll start keeping track of when I water on my wall calendar. It's easier to see that way. All my citrus (Meyer lemons, Eureka lemon, and the Cara Cara orange tree) have a TON of blossoms on them! I need to begin fertilizing EVERYTHING, too. My strawberries (4 tall planters worth) got a good soaking. They are FULL of BIG weeds! Nothing I can't take care of with my gloves on and my weeding tool, but just not today without either. Tomorrow will be better to yank out those weeds after the soaking I gave them today. I also salvaged 7 nice plump red strawberries for my OMAD today. There's a bunch more out there, but I'll handle that tomorrow, too.

There's a couple of really good things that will help tremendously in clearing out some of the clutter here. I tried to give that puppet theater (and the puppets if I can find them again) to the DV shelter, but they said no. So I tried calling around and FOUND someone who would LOVE to have any and all toys that I can give to them. The best part is the donation is this is a T involved with identifying children suspected of being abused and she is doing this in a children's hospital setting. PERFECT! And this T was SO GRATEFUL to have these things, including the Barbies and all accessories AND a Barbie Dream House (she doesn't know about the Dream House yet ;) ), tubs of Legos (she took training when dealing with interviewing with Legos!! Who knew?), a 5' x 7' rug with "roads" on it and tons of little toys (yes, like some matchbox cars) and dinosaurs and big ugly bugs (the boys should love them) and teddy bears and "farms" with small animals where everything folds up in a little suitcase (I'm donating several of those), and beads on a string and beads on a platform on wires and a little round rug with attached items for very small babies to play with, and so on. Everything is dusty, but I can tidy those things up. I already did the theater and it turned out great! I'd forgotten that it actually folds out, is made of very sturdy plastic, has a black curtain to "hide" the puppet master behind so the puppet "talks" and not the puppeteer, and even has a pretend clock and little cubbies built into the fold out wings. It stands about 3 ft. tall and about the same distance wide. I hope and pray that in this T's hands abused children will find the help they need with these tools I'm donating. There is NO STING in "letting this go" anymore. In fact, I'm doing this with a sense of being honored to help. Very gratifying!

Whew! I just priced the Step 2 puppet theater ($59.00-95.00) - and none of these are as nice as the one I have. I am so glad to donate this!! And the Barbie Dream House. This T is getting a real bargain. And she is so nice, too. Happy to get all of these nice things. I need to wipe down and dust off each piece. I think I'll send her a picture of what I've gotten ready for her tomorrow first thing. I may ask DS to take all of these things down to her office which is about 2 hrs. south on the freeway. I have the option of dropping everything off at the children's hospital here and let them deliver it to her. That would save me some money. I'll call her back tomorrow and we can figure out the best plan.

Even earlier I need to transplant my purple tree collards and set them outside. I'd like to see if DS can help me move the big round Lifetime table that I've had for years over in front of my WOW so I'll have somewhere to place all my new plants as I transplant them one by one into bigger pots. During the heat of the summertime I can just place them under the table so they can get some shade. I know that heat is coming, and coming fast. It's a big, round, and very stable folding table. I'd like to set up my small Weber propane BBQ out there, too, so I can cook steaks and chicken thighs out there during the summer. Should be rather nice. I just have to make sure that my doggos don't start to dig around my plants or knock anything down from the table. I find that simply placing a few rounded stones in the planting bed/tub/pot does the trick. The pups can't dig through rocks, and these are heavy enough to resist being moved out of the way by busy paws.

======================(Monday noontime)

Today was not good and yet also good at the same time. I'm watching that old enemy Clinical DEEEEEPRESSION creep into my life again. I got up at 4am, played video games for a couple of hours to wake up (normal for me), planned to "do my pills" for next week, and transplant my 3 Purple Tree Collards. Instead, I ATE SOME SESAME SNACKS, POPCORN, AND SF CANDY and watched old sitcoms on TV. This is NOT a good sign for me. I heard DS take off for work (?) and continued to just sit here, uncaring, almost riveted to the spot and unable to move without great effort. I did NOT want to SEE anyone, even see my son. That is BAD.
I began to make another appointment for mammography and other x-rays since I have a discharge from my left breast (also normal for me), but this time it's sort of bloody. :? I need to get in there to see if anything has changed significantly. But instead I first called my health care plan and signed up for a paid for CBT (?) therapy (mental health). I speak with my T tomorrow evening at 5pm. And then I made another appointment to get the mammogram and x-rays for Wed. And then I transplanted one of my purple tree collards. ♥♥♥

========================(Tuesday morning)

DS's workday was cancelled! YAY!!!! I am up, showered, dressed, and ready to start the day. Doing my pills ATM. I missed one day already of taking meds since Monday pill caddy refill wasn't done. Then finishing potting my other 2 purple tree collards. Then start an Instant Pot full of ham hocks and chopped collards. I LOVE collard greens! I do hope that I like tree collards, too, but I probably will. They lack the acidity that other brassicas have that make them "bitter", so the tree collards are "sweeter". And they look like a lovely ornamental plant, both the green and the purple ones (with no clue that they are food to avoid any backyard thieves when/if famine hits...and it well may). They are a "green" to be picked all year round. They even propagate easily, and they survive the cold, frosts, and even snow by becoming even sweeter tasting. ♥♥ Gotta love these plants! ♥♥

DS is at the store right now refilling his Monster energy drinks supply (by the case, I pay for them). I still have no computer, but with DS home for the next few days and not working 100 miles away, it should begin to move slowly towards being fixed. At least I hope so!

====================(Thursday 6am)

GOT AN INTERNET CONNECTION! Sending this RIGHT AWAY.
Progress

Post by Progress »

Gurl, you are a SURVIVOR! I feel honored to read your posts.
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

4/23/2022 Saturday night
Progress wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:16 pm Gurl, you are a SURVIVOR! I feel honored to read your posts.
SO GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU, ♥PROGRESS♥!! I honestly thought that I was all alone. I really NEEDED that attagirl, I really did! I'm always honored to have you read my long posts! I'm apparently ending up writing a book of my life, but to "tell on MD" and all her cruelty is very purging to me and it heals me deeply. Maybe I can just "let go" someday. I sure hope so.

I AM WRITING THIS ON MY NEW COMPUTER!!! ON MY NEW "DESK"! (But my new printer is sitting next to me, still in its box. :cry: ) DS set this up for me, but had to go to work last night. Before he left, he had blown up on me (he does that sometimes when he gets frustrated) by getting really angry with me for not knowing how to operate this new system. He was FURIOUS! I don't like it when ANYONE becomes angry and acts disgusted with me, but especially him. It made me cry! Too close to how MD treated me all those years. I know this is all easy for him, but for me, OMG!! So hard!!!

First thing I did was PAY MY BILLS for the first of May (once I figured out how to do so and what buttons to push)! That had been bugging me something fierce AND causing me to be super depressed because of no one offering to help me do something so necessary, ignoring how important it was to give me, as my beloved Grandma used to say, "a lifting hand", but now I can rest easy again. I can set up directories and files later (with guidance). MY INTERNET CONNECTION IS GREAT!! HALLELUJAH!! It is such a relief!

Also nice is the underneath of the "desk" since I vacuumed up a TON of dust and dirt from where the old one sat! Man, did it need it! One problem: I can't open one side of my blackout curtains anymore. I'm too short to reach them behind my much larger desk top to pull them open or closed. So I've decided to call out a window drapery company and have a motorized curtain rod installed. One push of a button (or using my smart phone app) and my curtains will open all the way up in the morning or close up at night. I can hardly wait. (Note: MD had motorized curtains installed at the ranch, maybe even in her "dream house" that my father bought her later on, her idea of "elegance" which was vitally important to her, but I'm not going to let the idea of her having motorized drapes get me down and not get the solution for my own problem simply because SHE had them. Nuts to that! I believe that that is real ♥PROGRESS♥! :mrgreen: )

I may have lost a long post in the transfers of files from one computer (Windows 7) to this one (Windows 10). I have been called back in for another "follow up" mammogram. :? They said it looks "sort of shady". IDK. Just what I need: more stress!! :roll: I go in this Tuesday. This has happened before, once in 2012 and again in 2015. Both times it was nothing to worry about and was benign. So fingers crossed.

I had some trouble getting on to this site tonight (but I eventually made it!!), and one thing I noticed was a place on this website where pet photos are allowed. Maybe later I'll post some pics of Boots and Mittens, my gorgeous little rascals! I wonder if that would be possible? I'd love to share them with you!

Super long day! Very emotional for me. Off to bed now.

===================(Sunday afternoon)

I am sitting here at my SUPER SPEEDY computer with the SOLID internet connection happily typing away. :mrgreen: I'm also looking at the mess all over my floor: the empty computer box, the dead, paper-jammed printer (the new one is sitting on my desk still in the box and is out of the way ATM), my box of papers to be shredded, my heater from underneath my old "desk" which needs to be dusted thoroughly and set back under my new "desk", and all of the gardening items that need to be moved to somewhere other than IN FRONT OF my WOW and used out in the garden! It shouldn't take that long, but right now I have NO ACCESS to walking out into my garden area and even watering! :x Not good!! So I'll tidy that up, too. It's mostly just CLUTTER!! And once it's tidied up, I intend to KEEP it that way!

I washed Spot's bedding last night. DS wants to keep it for the pups use. OK, they are some pretty nice items, like two MyPillow dog beds. So I'll rewash them today for extra cleaning and use them in the pup's pen. I'm also going to clean my burgundy bathroom carpets that have been hidden away from my dear Spot's terrible and habitual potty targets. I deserve my nice rugs in my bathroom where they belong. I'm noticing myself saying (to myself): "I DESERVE..." a lot more often. Or either "I do NOT deserve...", like, "I don't deserve to be treated in this way." or "I deserve to have nice things." or even the much more uppity, "I deserve to have things the way I want them." Heck, everyone wants to have their way. And I don't have to kow-tow to anybody to deserve that.

Well, if I want to do all these things today (including making some space in my front room and storage room), I'd better get moving. I've got literally more than a hundred of pounds of hard and soft wheat berries, split peas, kidney beans, and chickpeas in 25# bags on their way to my front room to be put into all these Mylar bags and food storage buckets that I have and put into the storage room. But I have my computer back (and better than ever!!) to guide me through all this and beyond. I can do it!! (I hope! :lol: )

Honeybera
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

I just fired my T! She was scheduled to meet with me on the phone last Monday, 4/18/22, but was a no show. I got an intake call and tons of excuses the next day. I let it slide. Our next appointment was for today...and she was 12 min. LATE AGAIN! Her excuse (because she always has one) was that she was "in a meeting" re: her missing the first meeting with me. Hm. :roll: I let it slide AGAIN. So we began our "session" - and she never stopped talking! I know about her German Shepard dog and the many things that it has done. I got in about 2 words about my dogs. I know that she is VERY religious. (Who cares?? And whose session was it - hers or mine?) She kept interrupting me, talking over me, much more interested in her issues than mine. She'd ask me a question and I'd start to speak and she'd cut in with something personal about HER. Yap, yap, yap!!! This was on MY NICKEL!! :x

At the END of the session that she'd yapped through most of the time (at 11:45am - mind you she was a FULL 12 minutes LATE!), I reminded her that we'd started 12 min. late. She got all huffy on me (not a wise thing to do), claiming that she was only SIX minutes late and that she was "in a meeting" discussing ME and it was so that that scheduling error would never happen again. I said, "Well, you were a no show last week." SHE EXPLODED! "I was on my day off!!! Don't YOU think that I DESERVE a day off!!?? Am I supposed to work non-stop?? No days off?? Is that what you think?" and on and on and on. :roll: I told her as well as I could with her shouting like that that I didn't feel comfortable with her anymore and could I switch to another T. She tersely agreed. Good! And good riddance!!

These people are supposed to help by setting goals with their clients and then talking to them once or twice a week to see how they're doing. I could really get behind something like that, especially with the house and garden. This lady was ASSUMING that I wanted to get out of the house and fraternize with every senior citizen in town. NOOOOO!! That was HER goal, not mine! As long as I have my computer, my new driver's license, and a running vehicle, I can leave and go anywhere I want to...OR NOT! I DON'T WANT TO! She even suggested (strongly) that I join this lame group that "takes pictures all over the world out the window", like from their house or an airplane or their hotel that they're staying at. HO-HUM!! "I'm sure that you could find some support there." WHAT?? "You could take pictures of your garden." DOUBLE WHAT? My garden is a MESS right now!! I do not want anyone being invasive or seeing the mess that I'm in. That T had an agenda (a square hole) into which she was going to shove me (a round peg) into, and between her absolutely riveting stories about her home and her dog :roll: , she was determined to do it. She simply would not LISTEN. Isn't that a T's job? She even suggested that I go out to dinner "with my peers". Uh no. I'm deliberately on a special diet.

She also kept contradicting me. "I'm doing keto and intermittent fasting." :o "OH NO! Fasting isn't good for you! You could drop your blood sugars too low and harm yourself." Hm. :roll: Ok then. "Keto is too high fat! You should eat low fat." OMG. How dumb can she be?? I'm living proof that this works. No more arthritis, no more "fatty liver disease", nice healthy kidneys and gall bladder, and a low a1c. And the fat is slowly disappearing from my insulin resistant stomach. My muumuus, once rather snug, now drape loosely on me and fall off my shoulders, so I know that I'm losing weight. And for me, it's easy. And the best one she said: "Check with your doctor [the idiot] and let HIM guide you." Fauci and the CDC anyone? :x :roll: I no longer trust ANY doctor.

This woman apparently loves the sound of her own voice more than actually listening and helping people, even when it was my turn to speak. So yeah, I asked her to find me another T. I need their goal of setting goals with their clients to be their FOCUS...and that's it.

Thank heavens for this forum and isurvive.org in general!! YOU guys are my support group! I have one already and it is YOU. And I love you so much for that. You are always here when I need to vent.

I'm clearing out the Storage Room today - well, I'm working on it. Making some headway. Those 25# grain sacks are ON THEIR WAY. :o :shock: I need to begin moving some things into the storage room from the front room immediately to make room for the grain sacks. We just got a 50# sack of Vogel's Magic Mushroom POPCORN this morning from a local merchant. I need to put that popcorn into Mylar bags ASAP, add the oxygen absorbers, seal the Mylar bags up inside the food grade buckets and have DS place them into the storage room: our first long term storage items! I'll have room to store some of the other things in there soon.

Just now the doorbell rang. A new box out on the porch. My new flour mill is in: an electric WonderMill made in India. I got my WonderMill Jr. already (Manual - hand crank - so if the electricity goes out). Both go into the storage room.

======================(Tuesday 10pm)

I am slowly getting used to my new computer. It needs a TON of setup! But I'm getting there, mostly by myself, mostly by trial and error. It's beginning to look more friendly to me. I have my emails back. I have all of my store weekly specials up there. I have my printing PDF program installed, but I don't have my printer hooked up yet nor do I have a file to put any recipes into yet. I also have my recipe files still in my laptop and not on here yet, but I'm getting there. AT LEAST I HAVE A RELIABLE INTERNET CONNECTION.

I went for my "mammogram" today, only to find that it was for an ultra sound instead. That's like Step #2 to see if what they're seeing is breast cancer. Next step is to do the biopsy again. :roll: Stressful times.

I'm going to bed now. I need to get up in the morning and do some gardening before it gets too hot out there. More later...

Honeybera
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

VINDICATION!!!!!!!!!! I just got an unexpected call from a supervisor from the T's office asking me for any feedback I might have on the T that I had fired and had asked for another T to be put on my...what? Case? It seems that they have already assigned me another one and I'm all set up. (Nice!) PLUS I got to let them know exactly how I felt about my treatment by the T I was first assigned to. Oy! :roll: Her lateness, her condescending attitude towards me in general, her apparent lack of giving any importance to the client, how she'd ask me a question, interrupt me as I was trying to answer, and then start talking about HER and HER life and problems, and so on. The supervisor asked for some feedback, and she sure got some! She thanked me repeatedly. Nice lady.

Wow. Just got a call back from the supervisor AGAIN. T#2 wasn't available, so she wanted me to be reassigned to T#3, "a very nice T". Well good! At least I am getting one of their better ones. The supervisor gave me her own phone # in case I had any more difficulties. I told her that I doubted that that would happen, but thanks.

Today is shaping up to be a very busy day. Some business to get out of the way, straightening out the "me with no computer or internet connection" mess (businesses these days are not very patient with people with internet problems).

================(Thursday - bright and early)

OK, so let's see. Mittens has an ear infection which means her second trip to the vets (today at 3pm) and she's not going to like that. These pups are so shy that I can't even get to go out onto the front porch! But to make her ear stop hurting, what else can I do? DS is going with me. I'm also getting some of my grains today, big 25# sacks of them, I think 8 sacks of that size + one 5# sack of chickpeas. What if I'm not here to get them off my porch? We have some serious problems with porch pirates around here.

I got a call yesterday that made me sob. It seems that the mammogram people want to do a biopsy on that dark "suspicious" area (code word for CANCER) on my L breast. :roll: I've been through this before (at Kaiser in 2012 and 2015) and fortunately it came back benign both times. THANK GOD! But in 2015, the doctor/radiologist/whoever had me sign papers and then did my biopsy informed me blithely that even if it was benign that I was going to go directly to SURGERY and have this "daisy chain of calcified deposits" removed and then go through chemotherapy and radiation. EVEN IF IT WAS BENIGN!! I told him, "Uh, no I'm not. Not if it's benign." and he said, "Oh, yes you ARE!" AND I SAID, "NO, I'M NOT!" and he said, "Get up on that table and put your breast through that hole.", which I did. They clamped my breast in (after numbing me with Lidocaine) and began the biopsy. I felt nothing. Then sometime later as the procedure went on, he got a smirk on his face and said, "Give her more Lidocaine!" and he began to squeeze my breast MUCH tighter in the machine. I still felt nothing but some pressure. Soon enough though it began to hurt. I had been told that it would be nothing more than a mammogram pressure, but there was something odd going on. I objected and the procedure ended. Afterwards, I remember that they bound my breasts up quickly as he briskly left the room, and then they set me down for all that Lidocaine to wear off. At that time, I still felt little discomfort once the squeezing had stopped.

However, when I took off the bindings some time later, I was horrified to see what that Butcher at Kaiser had done to me, old uppity me! He had squeezed me so tightly in that machine for my irreverence to his lofty self that my breast was COMPLETELY black and blue, mostly deep BLACK and purple bruises, and I carried those bruises for 6 MONTHS! When my new mammogram people called me yesterday (NOT KAISER THANK GOD!!), they used some of the same jargon on me, including the word Lidocaine. I burst into tears, sobbing uncontrollably, remembering what had happened to me all those years ago! I WAS TERRIFIED all over again. :cry:

These new mammogram folks are very patient with me and very nice. She was horrified to hear, yet understood, why it was that I was so upset over having to go through this again. She very patiently explained exactly what would happen. I really appreciated this! This procedure sounds much more gentle, no binding afterwards, finished up with a simple Band-Aid, and much less invasive. She also said that what they are seeing may be just scar tissue from the 2015 debacle. It could be. With my 2nd Caesarean section (when I had my DS), my doctor, a very skilled surgeon, said that he removed a full 12 lbs. of scar tissue from my first C-section! So it does happen. As I said the other day: "Fingers crossed."

=====================(Still Thursday - shortly after noon)

IT WAS A FOX TAIL (weed seed pod) stuck in poor Mitten's ear. I got a hold of the Rat Terrier breeder who recommended a vet who works with the breeder and all of her pups and they got us right in this morning! Done and DONE! (Fabulous vet, BTW! We are keeping her!) Mittens is laying here next to me, resting happily, no more pain. :mrgreen:

====================(Thurs. 4pm)

I guess I will just write out what's going on here. Dog is fine, BUT I am beginning to see that I need some better HELP. I sometimes wonder if I'm being gaslighted or something. DS brought in all the heavy shipping boxes full of grains and legumes, dropped them inconveniently all over the front room (I can BARELY lift one), and I can see that he just doesn't want to help AT ALL. He will do things like get them off the front porch if pressed to do so, but he grumbles about it. The RING doorbell picks it up and I can hear it on my phone when in my room. My front room is FULL of big boxes that need to be ASSEMBLED - in fact, I've written "ASSEMBLE" on most of them. I have a composter in the box, a wagon in the box for my liner (sitting in the garden half filled with potting soil), a Teeter Hang Up (still in the box), and his D&D table (also still in the box...for the last several years!!), a $500.00 Hoover carpet /linoleum shampooer, still in the box, and even my new printer is STILL IN THE BOX. All these are waiting for assembly and taking up room in my front room - or my room for the printer...still in the box. Ah! and there's the things that need to GO OUT! The roll top desk and the two dressers. I NEED MORE (and friendlier) HELP HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH!! and my computer is OK and I have internet, BUT the computer needs organization (the story of my life!!) - kind of a fine tuning by adding directories and files, and even my timers so it doesn't shut down in a few minutes and make me put in my too long password over and over and over again!! :x When I tried to change my password, I was told that I needed a special flash drive for the "Password Wizard" so I could load it. What??? OK - I'll accept that. (So confusing!! :? ) So I went over to Best Buy's website - and they have a plethora of different styles and prices for their flash drives...so which one is it that I need for this Wizard thingy that would also be compatible with my new computer? :| :?:

Am I not as sharp as I used to be when I was in my 20s and 30s? Of course. I'm 75, and darned lucky to have made it this far! But DS seems to get a kick out of shaming me and humiliating me lately. I drove today for the first time in a long time as we drove to the vet and he held Mittens. He back seat drove, complaining the entire time!! NOTHING was right! Too close or not close enough, too fast or not fast enough. Irksome!! But what it did do was to encourage me to get back out there again and do my own darned chores more often. I will go to the straw place soon in the pickup and pick me up a few bales -- that sort of thing. I need to keep my independence for as long as I can.

=============(Thursday evening)

I called my ODS (Older Dear Son) tonight [an actual IT supervisor with 2 college degrees in that subject and many years of experience out there in the Midwest] and got a lot of help on setting up my computer. I must have an odd version of Windows 10 right now. ODS would ask me to find "local" something, but it wasn't on the screen, even though HE was POSITIVE that it should be there. That kept happening. But I did learn how to take files off my old computer and put them on my new one by using a USB flash drive. I don't need a new one. DB gave me this flash drive years ago with ANCIENT, priceless pics of the extended family on it (looks like some back as far as the 1800s! many from the 1920s - one of my then-wild and very young Aunt E standing next to a flivver, leg placed jauntily on the bumper Bonnie and Clyde style, in full flapper garb - hot stuff in those days!), but this flash drive will work just fine to transfer all my old recipe files onto the new computer. I will begin that task tomorrow afternoon when it gets hot here and I need to stay in the nice, cool house. I plugged my old laptop computer back in so it will be all nicely charged up.

The morning will be dedicated to weedeating all the fox tails down in the back yard and moving that big round 3' diameter, sturdy plastic folding table over across the yard. I'm going to try to attempt moving it by myself first. I hope I can do it by rolling it on its side. Then I'll have a table to place my freshly transplanted plants on, up high enough to avoid doggie naughtiness and digging and handy enough for me to water regularly during the summer months and the HEAT. :oops: It is nearly upon us, up in the 80ºF-91ºF range by next week. :shock: Maybe I can drag my BBQ and stand over closer to my WOW as well. Tons of stuff to do out there! Maybe toss some nice fertilizers into those 30 gallon pots and add some tomatoes and maybe some squash, too. BUT FIRST those fox tails have to GO!

I'd better get to bed. Dan Bongino's daily podcast lulls me to sleep every night. It works every time. 8-) Zzzzz I wonder if he would feel complimented or insulted by that? :lol:

Honeybera
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

I HAVE TO SHARE THIS!! :mrgreen: And I have no one else to tell about it. I ORGANIZED MY PAID BILLS TODAY on my computer! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: They are all neatly labeled and stashed in a FILE in a DIRECTORY...and I did it all by myself! I didn't know how to do it, but I did it anyway. ODS kind of pointed my way a couple of days ago (he guided me over the phone to where my file manager was) and he told me that my directories were already installed. :idea: I'm taking it from there. :mrgreen: When I went to school in the 1950s, there were no computers or even electric typewriters. So I'm either self taught or it may as well be instructed in Greek. It is such a comfort to have a FILE (I had been incorrectly calling it a directory) to put stuff into like I did on the old laptop - and it really looks the same as it did on the laptop! I could not be more pleased! Now my big challenge is to move all my old recipes over to my NICE NEW FILE that I called Keto Recipes.

Right after that chore is done, I need to place all my newly arrived grains and legumes and rices into buckets that I need to wash out and dry, add an oxygen absorber or two, and seal them up for future use. HUGE job! DS does not want to help me. I suppose he will if he's asked, but not willingly. He'll only stand there for as long as I'm watching him. He's taken to sneaking around to quickly walk the hallway into his bathroom or into the kitchen so I don't see him. Or I'll be talking to him about what it is I need him to do, and suddenly I'm all alone talking to myself and he's gone into his room with the door closed behind him. It really feels disrespectful. And he's taken to speaking to me in a very disrespectful and scolding manner, too, like I'm his kid or something. What will happen to me when I am not in control anymore? It worries me.

But I think that he's having issues of his own, too, that are causing him to lash out at whoever is nearby...and that's me. He has no more friends than I do. That's the autism in a nutshell. It affects us socially. My father, my brother, and all of our kids have this in one form of severity or another. But DS can be furious one minute and super kind the next. I don't get it. It's like he can be raging one minute (rarely happens) or painfully irked and the next it's like nothing just happened. :? :?: But it's affecting me negatively. I don't pivot emotionally as fast as he does.

================(Sat. night)

Just before DS takes off for work (graveyard shift). I slept until 10am this morning and just now woke up from a 3 hour "nap" in my chair. I may be up late (I hope not), but I want to get over to my favorite grocery store EARLY tomorrow when they first open (6am or 7am, depending on which store location I go to). This is BIG BIG BIG for me!! But they have such GREAT sales (eg. this week, cauliflower $1.18 each, iceberg lettuce 48¢ each, pork steaks $1.48/lb, chicken legs 58¢/lb., and seedless watermelon 48¢/lb - amazing prices every week in this inflationary economy!) It's a small family-run group of Mexican local markets that I love to shop, but haven't since early 2020 due to COVID. DS has done all my shopping for me...grudgingly. But they have so many of my specialty items, like Oaxacan sour cream (the BEST!!) and many other things that DS just won't get, so I'm going. I'll mask up - it's probably required.

================(Sunday noon)

CRUD!! I stayed up all night. :x I need to think my way to the bottom of this! I have been doing this all my life! I know it's more of MD's training/upbringing/cruel games, but to understand it first is to fix it. Here's my dilemma: I start something (or I buy something or I set something up or I begin to do some project) only to STOP at some point...and then I don't complete it. It's all planned out...rather skillfully I might add. I know what it is I need to do with all this grain and all this food and where I'm going to put it...and suddenly it gets completely overwhelming...and I do NOTHING. I will admit that to do all these myriad of overwhelming tasks ALONE is withering and I just lose my momentum. I'm really good at buying stuff for whatever project there is, but now I have everything but room. DS just brought in a huge load of dishes from his room and plopped them down in the kitchen sink. :roll: I had just done up the dishes. I want some keto cookies, but my sideboard is full of things that need to be placed in the cupboards on the shelves, the ones with the weak or broken shelves, giving me no room to assemble things to bake on my sideboards anymore. I have an entire room to store things in, but it is full of other things, including Mystery Boxes set in there 20 yrs. ago.

MD used to scold me and say to me (one of her famous put-down sayings - always said with a disgusted voice and with a scowl), "Oh, for Christ's sake, (my name)!! Get out of the way!!! I can do it TEN TIMES FASTER AND TEN TIMES BETTER THAN YOU CAN!!", and she'd do whatever it was. Was it perfect? Oh, you bet it was! She did this to me from my first memories until I was in my 70s and so fed up with her and her perfection that I left her sitting there, waiting for DB who rarely came to visit her anymore at the nursing home he'd put her in. I can think of a million times she would do this perfection routine to me, but I've already written about it on here: shaming me and slapping me as a toddler for "being ugly", calling me names like Minnie the Moose Nose (my nose is totally normal, BUT it served her purpose!) or Pot Belly Nellie with the Big Fat Belly (it was the beginning of insulin resistance due to the constant stress), literally dressing me, choosing my clothing and what I'd be wearing, and "combing my hair" by using a sturdy comb on my long hair and ripping it out by the roots "to get rid of these tangles". :roll: I simply learned to avoid her to avoid her wrath. When I was little (REAL little, like 3 or 4) I made a "slide" by setting a redwood plank the neighbors were about to build a new fence with up against the old fence. I was wearing shorts, and I slid down several times before I realized that I was getting tiny redwood splinters all over my legs, thighs, and butt. I ran home to MD, crying...and it irked her, so she put me over her knee and SPANKED me with a hairbrush, right on those slivers! :cry: Then she left them in "to fester" so that "they'd come out easier". I could not even sit down. She put me to bed early (just like 6pm every night, just before my father came home), so no one ever knew. :roll: Yeah, she was mean.
Pressure Treated and Redwood splinters are the worst ones. They will cause more pain, inflammation and infection than the regular pine or fir ones.
I've also been thinking about what is "wrong" with me, health-wise. I got back my results from the x-rays. Conclusion? I have feet, two of them, and two hands, "no fractures" (who said anything about HAND fractures??), "but arthritis noted." SAY WHAT?? And that's ALL it said!! AARRGGHH!! :x My ring finger on my right hand is SO SWOLLEN UP that you could see it from across the room and even typing is getting difficult to do without some pain medication first. So where IS this "arthritis" -- and WHAT KIND of arthritis is it?? Is it bilateral (both hands)? Is it precisely my super swollen and painful ring finger...or what? SPECIFY!!!

So I felt I needed a second opinion and decided to contact Dr. Internet. It was a very good choice. So far my primary Dr. has given me THREE separate opinions (guesses) of what is causing this SWOLLEN FINGER, and then he forgets what it is that he's pontificated to me at some earlier date. :roll: I know I have osteoarthritis already, and I'm fairly sure that I also have gouty arthritis (gout due to a slightly high uric acid reading on some blood work I had done AND crippling pain on occasion), BUT Rheumatoid Arthritis? Uh NO. That presents with flu-like symptoms initially and is bilateral, neither of which describes what I have. Osteoarthritis comes from pulling a bus steering wheel for hours and hours a day for way over 25 yrs. - simple wear and tear. It's NOT Dupuytren's Contracture, either. That's where one finger is pulled towards the palm by shortening, knotting tendons in the hand. Can't lay the hand flat on a table, and I certainly CAN, so it's not DC. So I'm left with either OA or gout...or both. And I believe that part of my problems in my feet (horrible shattering pain flashing across the instep of BOTH feet on occasion) is diabetic neuropathy.

AND I was worried about "shortness of breath". SOB hits me even walking to the kitchen, but outside in the backyard? Nope. So why is that? And last night Dr. Internet gave me my answers: I'M FAT. AND I'M OLD. :idea: :idea: :idea: I'm literally morbidly obese. And I'm as old as Trump! (Not Biden, but almost.) So I'm aging and I'm carrying around a TON of weight in my belly (not a good thing) and lately I've been as sedentary as heck! Not a good combo!! No wonder I am getting winded just walking to the kitchen. But when I really get into some project or out in the backyard, I am just fine. I can go for hours sometimes. Same with the kitchen. If I'm cooking or cutting up empty cardboard boxes or something, no problem-o! But getting up out of this chair, grabbing my two canes, and moving? Walking to DS's door on the way to the kitchen and holding the wall and catching my breath? I'm afraid it's either use it or lose it!!

So what's the deal? I'm fat, I'm old, and I have either osteoarthritis, gout, or both. I know I have diabetes, too, but it's really improving. I'm back to prediabetes, but it's still diabetes. So weight loss. OK. I am trying, but I think I need to try even harder. (My stomach is growling at me. :lol: ) More eggs, bacon, avocado, salads, keto soups...and one meal a day. Plus a cookie or other keto treat at the end of the meal. And maybe some biscuits, too. (I'd like that! Freeze all the leftovers.)

And my garden and garage need major work, too, but I need to break those things down "into small manageable tasks". ( ♥Good old Mark Twain ♥) Also try to stay calm re: core biopsy coming this Thursday. :shock: And I speak with the new CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) T on Tuesday. Maybe we can figure out why I act so mule-like whenever I'm awake, knowing what it is that I need to be doing, knowing that the prohibitive heat is coming, and still I just sit. :roll: Am I rebelling against something (or someone?) by doing this? IDK. I need to figure out: what's the point then? Is rebelling getting the job done? No, not really. What is keeping me from doing anything? Am I depressed? Fatigued? Heaven knows I feel a distinct twinge of guilt as I see my plants doing less and less well day after day. They are still in their dopey little 4" pots! I have many bags of seed starter "soil", plenty of extra enhancement additions for the soil, stacks of brand new empty pots to transfer to just sitting in the hobby room. It's a bit hard to stir a small bucket of potting soil up with my bum hand, but certainly not impossible. But even if I transplant them, I have nowhere to put them, so what's the point? The dogs will tear them up. And that table out in the yard won't move itself. But if I don't transplant them, they'll die anyway. :roll: What to do?

I'm beginning to think that if all of this went smoothly, though, that I'd get bored with it rather quickly. Maybe this isn't all such a bad thing. I'll start with a nice shower and move on to the dishes in the sink. (Thanks DS) Maybe move some of the toys out of the storage room. Maybe water outside and then move the table outside to my WOW area and transplant more plants tonight (that I can do after dark). I NEED TO MOVE MY WEED-EATER INTO THE BACK YARD, TOO - so it's handy and kind of encouraging to weed eat the dog's yard and get rid of the foxtails over there.

======================(just before bedtime on Monday)

Had a good heart to heart with DS. Got a LOT done on the cluttered mess/boxes in the front room...together. Much nicer that way, believe me. I also believe that we both want the same thing: a clean and well organized home. I cannot do it alone. I do need help with it. I can't do all of this alone. I do need to communicate what it is that I need done more clearly. We made a serious dent in the chaos, but we need to keep going. We did maybe step #1, but that's out of LOTS AND LOTS of steps needed. Tomorrow I need to clean out all the expired canned foods in the hall pantry (size of a good-sized bedroom walk-in closet with floor to ceiling shelves, on both sides and in the middle) and then clear off all the current stuff sitting on the kitchen sideboard and kitchen table and put it into the hall pantry on those gloriously empty shelves. Just that and that alone will bring some welcome relief. I want my kitchen table and sideboard work space back!!!

I also will be speaking with my new T from the CBT program via phone in the afternoon. Holding high hopes out for that. We'll see what happens.

And before I began today's work, I tried using my albuterol inhaler that I've had for some time for my asthma, but never used. It really helped with my "shortness of breath" that I usually experience just walking down the hall. I'm sure that the exercise in organizing and emptying the front room helped a lot, too. I've decided to "treat myself" for my asthma, my obesity (morbid), and my anxiety. Dr. Internet says one thing over and over for "treatments": diet, exercise, good hydration (I love ice water!), weight loss, and good sleep. The albuterol helps with the breathing easier. So does Tylenol with any pains.

I've also decided to talk it over with the new T about setting some new goals. I really hope that WE can communicate well. I'm going to need all the help that I can get to do all of this de-cluttering and organizing. It will be so worth it once it is done. I realize that it never will be "done", but it will be much easier to keep caught up at least. Towards that end, I'm also going to try to give all the old (and very dusty from 30 yrs. of storage inside due to the very dusty and dry area that I live in) toys from my now defunct day care. We don't use them anymore, and I'm donating them to a very nice lady T who works with abused children in need. What could be better? I am having some distinct problems in letting these things go for some reason, but giving them to this wonderful cause, it's making it much easier to just "let go". I'm going to discuss this with my T, too.

I need to get some sleep, too, right now. Got an early morning pickup of groceries scheduled in the morning. For whoever has read all of this so far, thank you so much. I feel you cheering me on. I need every cheer! :mrgreen:

Honeybera
Progress

Post by Progress »

You go gurl! Keep it up! You’re doing great!

You have lots of challenges, but lots of good news to share too.
:-)

Progress
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

OMG. Speaking with the T today (and meandering around with "Dr. Internet", studying intently) sort of encouraged me to look into Anxiety Attacks and Panic Attacks which plagued me around 1984. I got them BAD. I was seeing a T at the time, a court ordered T for my ODS (a real problem teenager then). He defiantly didn't go, so I went. Hey, free therapy! :roll: I remember asking the T about anxiety and panic attacks, how all of a sudden I would feel this extreme feeling of impending DOOM! My left arm would go numb or tingly, my heart would pound wildly, I felt shortness of breath, and I just KNEW that this was the big one, Elizabeth! :| I'd head over to the Emergency Room where they'd take an EKG and inform me that I was just fine.

After many of these trips, the staff informed me that I was just having panic attacks and set me up with an actual psychiatrist who gave me a Valium prescription to fill and FORCED me to take 5 tablets of Xanax home with me. There was no internet or even personal computers at that time, so I took my problem to my son's court appointed T. He told me that he had a book that mentioned "panic attacks" and anxiety, and he showed it to me briefly. I only had a few minutes to look at it, but I was super grateful even for that! It explained so much, including some methods of overcoming a panic attack with self-reassurance and self-comfort and relaxation techniques. Back in the day, it was believed that one HAD TO take some sort of drug to calm these attacks down (hence the insistence of the one-time-seen psychiatrist), and that these attacks were quite permanently attached to a person. The Dx? Take the pills and learn to live with it.

I decided to do more about it. Somewhere I found some relaxation guides. Again, there was NO INTERNET to turn to like there blessedly is now. I taught myself how to relax (without the drugs) by first laying comfortably on my back on the couch and literally stroking my own cheek and repeating out loud in a gentle voice, "It's just a panic attack. You are just fine. You are not dying. You are OK." and so on until I felt more safe. Then I began at my feet, tightening them, holding, holding, then releasing. Then my calves. Then my thighs and butt. Then my hands, arms, back, neck, and face, in that order. Then I would picture a tropical beach with warm sand and waves lapping the shore, so peaceful. And I would do that, mindful of my breathing, until I simply fell asleep. Relaxed.

I continued doing that for months and months until eventually the panic attacks no longer came to plague me, despite the medical claims of permanence of the condition. In time, it gave me the confidence to travel halfway down the state to a truck driving training school (live in) and get my own Class A (in those days) driver's license. Yes, I can drive a big rig. 8-) :lol: I got my Class A license in the summer of 1985, and by 1988 I was a rookie driving a transit bus, and did so for the next 25+ yrs. Onward and upward! 8-) I never really did want to become a nurse. Driving a bus was actually my dream job, and I wanted to have the best paying driving job around, especially one with a union behind it. And that's precisely what I got. And now I'm retired. And they plop my check right into my bank and it's a bigger check than what I got when I was working. Neener, neener, neener!! :lol: And it will continue to plop into my bank for the rest of my life. So when the shrinks ask me repeatedly, "Are you suicidal?", my answer is, "Oh, absolutely NOT.", which is very, very true! :mrgreen:

So things have worked out nicely. Everything did. Could it have been better? Decidedly so! But it didn't happen that way and that's what I've been trying to decipher and understand and cope with all my many years. The answer is simple: all that I've been through has only served to make me stronger, and that is NOT a bad thing. It was not fun getting through it, but it has served me well.

And now there's the computer available 24/7/365 to comfort me, entertain me, educate me, and I love it! But it can also be quite the trigger for me. I remember being little. I mean little like 2, 3, 4, and 5 yrs. old quite vividly. I can see the scenes in my mind's eye like snippets of little movies, most of them horribly frightening, even terrifying. (Thanks, MD!) :x I remember a recurring dream I used to have of a hideous, snarling monster (MD?) chasing after me, nearly catching me, and me trying to RUN, but not having the ability to run, and the terror that I felt. That exact dream scenario was mentioned in a triggering article regarding kids AND adults with C-PTSD symptoms. I'm getting more mindful lately, but I'm often running into the old dreadful feelings that facing the old bugaboos head on can stir up..."triggers". But my oh my, I am SO much more ready to take them on at this age than during my vulnerable and innocent preschool years. The safe feeling I get from the knowledge that MD is finally dead is helpful, too. May she rest in peace.

♥I have not had my TV on all day today.♥ I have watering, fertilizing, and some trimming to do outside, but it's already 88ºF! So maybe a quickie watering as the sun begins to go down, the rest tomorrow, and instead today begin the soil mixing and transplanting my plants grown from seed inside to larger pots. Sort of in the same ballpark, right? Plus "do my pills" (caddy them), begin bravely clearing out that hall pantry of expired items to the garbage and replacing it with the fresh stuff waiting on my kitchen counters and kitchen table (hear: ♥clutter cleared♥!!). OH, and I must NOT forget to refresh the hummingbird feeder: it's nearly empty (and done right, it's about a 10 minute job). I'd better get going.

Honeybera
Progress wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:46 am You go gurl! Keep it up! You’re doing great!

You have lots of challenges, but lots of good news to share too.
:-)

Progress
Thank you, Progress! I always love to hear from you! :mrgreen: Sending this now. I have some of those challenges waiting for me. I did read today online that my Type 2 diabetes can be helped by just getting up out of this chair for like an hour more a day. I can do that. I will write more about my biopsy, which I cancelled, got more info about it, and rescheduled it. SUPER busy week next week. Get blood work and pick up my new tree pruning chain saw (Mon.), restructure my Living Trust (Tues), Drs. office (Wed.), and my biopsy (Thur.). Busy, busy, busy! I can't wait to try out that mini chain saw. I NEED TO PRUNE. This enables me to do so with my messed up hand = no hand saw work, just easy work with a 6" chain saw. Nice!