Brand new granddaughter ❤️

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

grandma in pain

Brand new granddaughter ❤️

Post by grandma in pain »

I have been babysitting my 3 youngest grandchildren since Thursday afternoon because yesterday, their little baby sister was born ☺️❤️

She came 6 weeks early, however, she's doing pretty good. She's been on CPAP, but other than that I think all is well with her. I'm just surprised that as of the last time I spoke with my daughter, a neonatologist hadn't been around to talk to her at all. Yesterday once everything wore off from the epidural and my daughter was finally able to go to the NICU and see her baby, she messaged me saying how the baby has a huge nasal cannula. So I responded asking, "CPAP??" and she said, "Probably." A little while later, my son-in-law sent me a picture of her and so I told my daughter yes, that it is indeed, CPAP.

My daughter is being discharged tonight, so hopefully she will know more about how her baby girl is actually doing, because this former respiratory therapist would like to know.

grandma in pain
You will forever be in my heart...
(Member since March 21, 2008; 1324 previous posts)
gods_child

Re: Brand new granddaughter ❤️

Post by gods_child »

Congratulations, grandma in pain!!! I hope you and your daughter are able to get some clear and accurate answers soon. How cool that you're (or were) a RT who can help walk your daughter through this current period of time. Best wishes to all of you! -gc
Member since Oct 3, 2007
102 Old Posts
Rosahope

Post by Rosahope »

Congratulations!
Redisfinallyfree

Post by Redisfinallyfree »

Grandma in pain, Congratulations!

Try not to let what you know lead you to thinking and fearing all of the worst things. I know from experience that this is so hard to do! Sometimes knowledge can be a curse and ignorance can be bliss. Medicine for premies has come so far these days so there is every reason to hope for and to expect the best of happy outcomes. Sending up prayers for her health, development, quick advancement, happy homecoming, and for peace of mind for you and all who love her.

Redisfinallyfree
grandma in pain

Thank you gods_child, Rosahope and Redisfinallyfree.

Red, thank you for your caring and supportive words. I'm not worried or fearful whatsoever and neither are K or my son-in-law. Well, I'm pretty sure he isn't. Their 3rd child was born at 36 weeks, and although that really isn't too premature, she was on and off a vent a few times during her NICU stay. And trust me when I say that K and I have been through this journey several times with one of my other daughters, B. She has 6 children, 5 of them born preterm. Her 2nd child was born at 36 weeks, 3rd child at 33 weeks, 4th child at 31 weeks, and her twins at 30 weeks. Also, besides the typical NICU adventure that comes along with most preemies, baby girl's NICU stay was 7 weeks, baby boy... 4 months. All of B's children are doing well, although autism does affect 3 of them.

Besides B's babies, my own son was 9 weeks early. This was before all of the proper neonate equipment that they have now, as well as other forms of support provided to preemie babies today. Back then they didn't have pediatric neonate ventilators and he was on an adult vent which did a lot of damage to his lungs and even caused a pneumothorax. They hadn't produced surfactant yet back then, which is something that is now automatically administered to a struggling baby directly through their ET tube upon intubation. So yes, my education and hands on experience, especially when I did work in the NICU and PICU areas, did expose me to a lot of the pain, sorrow, worry and loss that so many families have been thru. However, I am also aware of just how early a baby has to be before more serious medical issues become a concern ❤️ By the way, my son is now 36 and the reason why I became a RT ☺️

So brand new baby A will probably only be in the NICU for 2 weeks so that she can learn to take to feedings, breathe without any support and keep her body temp stable ☺️

Once again, thank you gods_child, Rosahope and Red ❤️

grandma in pain
Redisfinallyfree

Post by Redisfinallyfree »

Hi Grandma in Pain.

I’m so sorry! I had no idea you were an RT or that you’ve had so much experience with preemies! I have none and I guess I thought I read some concerns or worries from you. So glad you’re not worried. Still, I figure prayers never hurt anything so I’ll still do that. Again, congratulations on your latest bundle of joy. You deserve the happiness.

Redisfinallyfree
Last edited by Harmony on Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited from NT to MT for religious references
grandma in pain

Hi Red, it's okay. No apologies necessary 🙂 And yes! Prayers are always welcomed 🙂
Thank you so much ❤️

grandma in pain
Scars

Post by Scars »

Congratulations, grandma in pain!!!
My grandchildren are the biggest blessings of my life.
I am so excited for you.
<3 scars
Last edited by Jonesy on Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, for no triggering detail
A scar is the tattoo of a triumph to be proud of. It says the hurt is over and the wound is closed. It means you conquered the pain, learned a lesson, grew stronger, and moved forward. There is a beauty in my scars that I can see now.
grandma in pain

Thank you, scars. They are my biggest blessing, too 🙂❤️

grandma in pain
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Congratulations.
Last edited by Jonesy on Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, for no triggering detail