A small (Big?) Victory tonight

This is a safe area that discusses stories and experiences of a positive nature surrounding healing, for the abused and loved ones. This area is safe from triggering and explicit material.

Moderators: Harmony, ajei

lilypod

A small (Big?) Victory tonight

Post by lilypod »

Hey all,

I just... wanted to share something very good that I'm proud of myself for, that feels like a step towards healing. I was dealing with being triggered, and flashbacks and lots of fear, and so I called a hotline for support, and it helped! So so much! I was able to tell the person on the other end what was going on, that I was feeling afraid and dissociated, and they helped me through distraction.

A little plan we came up with was for me to paint, I haven't done that yet but I've eaten which I think is a good step as well, and I went on a short walk to calm down once I felt I could, and now I'm going to paint.

I was in a very hard place, and I sought out help, and it helped! And while I don't feel very good at the moment, I feel a lot better than I did, and, I'm really happy about that. I'm still struggling but I feel capable and grounded again and that's really important to me.

Take care all, thank you for reading, :D
Lilypod
"There is no nobility in suffering" // DID. OCD. 23. all that rhymes, then we have: She/They pronouns please.
the husband

Re: A small (Big?) Victory tonight

Post by the husband »

That is a BIG victory and I hope you hold on to feeling good about it! I hope you did choose to paint.
lilypod

Post by lilypod »

the husband wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:36 am I hope you did choose to paint.
Hey thank you so much, for the encouragement! And, I didn't end up painting but I did make some art... zentangling, I haven't done it in years, but it is actually extremely! Soothing for me! Definitely adding it to the coping tools box in my head :D

Take care,
Lilypod
"There is no nobility in suffering" // DID. OCD. 23. all that rhymes, then we have: She/They pronouns please.
Harbor

Post by Harbor »

Great plan and follow-through. I would think that zentangling is a worthy alternative coping strategy to painting - easy setup and cleanup, and you can take it anywhere!
"'Safe Harbor' is a state of mind... it's the place - in reality or metaphor - to which one goes in times of trouble or worry. It can be a friendship, marriage, church, garden, beach, poem, prayer, or song." -Luanne Rice
lilypod

Post by lilypod »

Harbor wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:50 pm easy setup and cleanup, and you can take it anywhere!
Absolutely! I think that's my favorite thing, I've actually dedicated an entire small sketchbook to it, maybe that's just my excitement about it but hey I'll take that :D I figure I can kinda do zentangles as I go through my recovery and it'll be interesting to see how they change and progress through my journey.

Take care Harbor,
LIlypod
there

Post by there »

Wow, great! You reached out and someone responded supportively.

I’ll have to google zen tangling!
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.