A Husband's story (formerly "the husband's story")

A discussion area for anyone who loves a survivor and needs some support of their own.

Moderators: Aspen, Jonesy, Harbor

LD

Re: A Husband's story (formerly "the husband's story")

Post by LD »

:)
Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy »

Hi the husband

Your post made me smile too. I appreciate the update.
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
good2b

Post by good2b »

EMDR can be very exhausting and the effects of the proccessing can linger on for several days after a session. When you leave the office the proccessing does not stop. If she seems irritable or on edge be patient with her ( I'm sure you are) she may not know why she is in a given mood. Trust me it is the proccessing. I have been there.
the husband

Post by the husband »

Thanks Jonesy, LD and good2b.

good2b: It may be the EMDR. We've been through the fire with EMDR a number of times already (not complaining - it's made a huge difference in our lives). If she is able to receive greater comfort from me this time around, I'm happy with that.

My wish is that she is beginning to trust that it is safe to accept what I have to give.
coast

Post by coast »

hey the husband

still here with you - sounds like another step forward
member since august 2009
ladysslipper

Post by ladysslipper »

Your post gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. I am so glad that you can see the progress. Baby steps that is what it takes somtimes.
carpe diem
member since June 2007 more then 2000 posts
the husband

Post by the husband »

Thanks coast and ladyslipper. I appreciate that you both check in here.

This was a tough weekend for my wife. We went on a short camping/adventure vacation this weekend. She told me she was feeling very anxious and panicky. Initially I thought it was because she had forgotten her medication, but realistically she would not have felt the difference for a few days. This was faster. We didn't stay in a hotel, so that trigger was absent. There are still some health concerns with our daughter, but she's in no acute danger at the moment. My wife did have therapy just before we left, and really no time to process, so perhaps that's something. She has been able to accept comfort from me, though. It is also an improvement that she told me at all, rather than bottling it up so as not to "ruin" our vacation. Telling me made it easier for me to anticipate and relieve some stressors. I'll have to remember to point that out later.
ladysslipper

Post by ladysslipper »

I would be willing to be that the fact she had not time to proccess t before leaving has everything to with why she was feeling anxious. Especially if she did emdr during the session. Good for her for opening up to you and letting know how she was feeling. That is a huge step for any survivor. It is also a huge step that she could accecpt comfort from you. It makes me happy to see how much progress she has made.
carpe diem
member since June 2007 more then 2000 posts
the husband

Post by the husband »

You would win that bet, ladyslipper.

We've had a chance to talk and she has confirmed that she was having trouble with a memory she started processing in therapy. She's been back to that therapist this week, and she's going to EMDR on Monday. She was having nightmares about being tricked.
LD

Post by LD »

Ah, yes, I was going to say I agree with Ladyslipper, that was probably the processing time. It sounds like the communication is going pretty well. Thanks for keeping us updated.

peace
LD