I have been so busy

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

grandma in pain

I have been so busy

Post by grandma in pain »

I think the last time I was here was before Thanksgiving?? I'm not really sure. All I know is that my husband and I had to go out of state for a family wedding and the day before we left I dropped our dog off at his dog sitter's house. He was happy, healthy and absolutely fine. That was a Thursday afternoon @ 4:00. The following Monday I picked him up @ 4:00 and his sitter said that he barely ate that much that morning and hadn't pooped yet. Anyway, I won't drag this out with day by day issues and vet visits and overnight vet admission, however, it turned into our dog being admitted into a specialized vet facility the Saturday after we picked him up from the sitter and being hospitalized for 4 days...besides the one overnight admission in our local vet's office.

He is STILL on one out of the FIVE meds that they discharged him on, and that is the prednisone. He is, however, finally starting to be weaned off of that. He is also on a prescription dog food which is VERY expensive, but we will do anything for our little guy.

I also finally got my mother to a neurologist in order to have her diagnosed with dementia. The only procedure that still needs to be performed is the MRI and then she will go for the followup to receive the results of all of the tests and a definite diagnosis. It has taken quite a few years to get her to agree to see a neurologist.

Life is becoming more stressful, complicated, busy, etc because not only do I have my own many doctor visits, tests and procedures, now I'm the one caring for her and taking care of all of her things, etc. My one niece that lives 2.5 hours away had been doing it, but she was just in the hospital for 4 days for the 2nd time since summer because SHE has been pushing herself too much! I told my mother that she has to leave my niece alone and stop demanding so much out of her.

Another thing is that for the last few years my mother had been saying that she wanted to go into a nursing home because, due to my health progressively getting worse, she didn't want to put that on me. (SHOCK!) But then at some point over the past year or so she and my niece had been talking about my mom going and staying with her. However, the neurological decline in my mom has become more rapid, and the fact that it already takes a major toll on my niece and causes her to be hospitalized, my niece and I have decided that a nursing home would be best.

Well, my mother is now REFUSING to go to one and i'm back to dealing with a temper tantrum to the extreme!
You will forever be in my heart...
(Member since March 21, 2008; 1324 previous posts)
Oceantide

Re: I have been so busy

Post by Oceantide »

Oh grandma in pain! So good to hear from you!! I’m sorry you’re dealing with so much stress…sorry about your dog and so stressful to deal with your mother! I can’t write much now but glad you’re seeking support here. You deserve it. Caring, Oceantide
grandma in pain

Thank you, Oceantide

grandma in pain
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Sad to hear so much stress.
Last edited by Harmony on Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited from MT to NT due to no triggering content nor language.
quixote

Post by quixote »

Grandma in Pain,
You are in a difficult situation. I am sorry to hear that your mother's health is declining. Just do the best that you can.
grandma in pain

Thank you, Benjamin and quixote.

grandma in pain
Blue Orchid

Post by Blue Orchid »

All of that sounds so stressful! There's a special kind of grief dealing with dementia...because you have to say goodbye a million times before you really say goodbye. I'm so sorry you're dealing with that. And your precious dog! My heart is with you!
"Promise me you'll always remember: you're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~A.A. Milne
grandma in pain

Thank you, Blue Orchid