Clarity in a challenging work situation

This is a safe area that discusses stories and experiences of a positive nature surrounding healing, for the abused and loved ones. This area is safe from triggering and explicit material.

Moderators: Harmony, ajei

Oceantide

Clarity in a challenging work situation

Post by Oceantide »

So I'm on a job search committee in a very challenging situation. One of the candidates is married to one of our colleagues and yet this was a national search. So today we had the search committee meeting (there are 3 of us) and I said as much as I'd feel awful about not hiring our colleague's wife, I feel it is unethical to conduct a national search and then modify the final report somehow so that she comes out on top (our department will vote on the report, which ranks the finalists).

My other two colleagues said but how will you feel next year when you see him (our current colleague)? I said we shouldn't have been put in this position. In that case we should have done a straightforward spousal hire. But since we did a national search we should rank our candidates as we would without that knowledge, out of fairness to all the finalists.

Anyway, perhaps I'm not thinking in a nuanced enough way, but I feel like, for once, I don't feel anguished. I feel that ethically our next steps are clear, and said so. Usually I'm quiet or confused in such situations, but today it seemed quite clear to me, despite the complexity of the situation.
Redisfinallyfree

Re: Clarity in a challenging work situation

Post by Redisfinallyfree »

(((((((( Oceantide ))))))).

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!!! (That’s the only way I could think of to show you that I applaud your stance on the situation.)

I agree with you and think the issue is as clear as it can be. No nuances needed. If someone gets favoritism in the hiring process, what will they expect if they earn the firing process? I think you’re right that since the process was national, it should be impartial and based on merit and interviews, not on who knows who. Few people have strong enough character to handle that situation without exploiting it to their benefit and the detriment of everyone else. Fewer regrets when the position is earned, even when a spouse is hired.

So glad you had clarity rather than confusion and do not feel anguished. Good for you!

Best of luck to you.

Redisfinallyfree
Oceantide

Post by Oceantide »

Redisfinallyfree wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:48 pm Few people have strong enough character to handle that situation without exploiting it to their benefit and the detriment of everyone else.
So true. Our unit held the vote yesterday and the head of the unit totally disparaged our report and top candidate, slandering him (behind the scenes) and influencing others (through his power as their supervisor) to vote against our report and for the spouse. After all his power plays he had the gall to say the outcome was the collective will of the unit and he was merely listening. I was the only one to push back publicly at the meeting and vote against this (though some others agreed with me and abstained).
Afterward a colleague told me in his 25 years he’d never seen such an abuse of power by a unit head. He called it “gangster politics.”

It really infuriated me. I am “associate head” of the unit so work closely with the head. I feel disgusted at the corruption….
Redisfinallyfree

Post by Redisfinallyfree »

I’m so sorry for you Oceantide.

And, I applaud you again! I hope your confiding colleague was not one of the gutless wonders who “abstained”. I am still ssurprised when adults act like school children playing playground politics. I wonder how well the two of them will tolerate so much round the clock contact. Smile and watch your back. I wish you all the best, my friend.

Redisfinallyfree
Oceantide

Post by Oceantide »

Thank you, Redisfinallyfree. I really appreciate your support.