Eating Cheap.......

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

LifeMasque

Eating Cheap.......

Post by LifeMasque »

Letter here to a Friend, who is a Psych Nurse in Liverpuddle, UK. Re-post of a board post with more Intro for him. Hope it helps those on a Tight budget with HIGH Food prices in the UK....
LM
--
Hey Bro/Mrs Bro 🙂

Thought you might like this article I wrote the other day on Cheap Eats (yes, chicken included) as you are heading toward The Maelstrom of "Eat or HEAT?" I know you LOVE your Food. SO do I but its not a GREAT consideration. Most of the time I just want SOMETHING to hold me together. This is my Current Plan. By all means do some soups or stews/cassaroles now and then, have a few HEARTY Meals as a treat, and freeze the excess. I DO harp on about Meatloaf. Meat is meat to me, I slow cook beef till you could cut it with a spoon, but MINCED Beef is very cheap here. I can get 800gms of 4 - Star for $12, but if its fattier and cheaper, that only makes the loaf Hold Together better when it's cold. It costs me about $15 to make a loaf, which will yield about 16 x ½ Inch Slices, which I wrap and freeze. Mine is beef, 2 mugs of Breadcrumbs, bit of garlic and chopped onion, and 6 - 7 x OXO Cubes, which add a lot of Flavour but not Too much SALT. You can always sprinkle more salt ON it if you desire. SO that's a hair under $1 for the Meat Serving per meal...

Here's The POOP - My SUBS cost me around $3 each, $7.95 at THE Subway... And Better Bread, I don't much LIKE SUBWAY'S over-yeasty, Fast Rise Rolls...

Bon Apetite!
D. 🙂 😜
---
Currently at Cold War stations with my share Buddy, and I am not cooking for both of us any more. I don't really eat much - don't expend a lot of Energy, except Mental :). Was spending $20 - $25 to do a pork stir fry that would yeild 2 to 3 servings. Getting no Thank you, or This is Good. I still have a frozen stockpile of my meat and Veggie Pasta Sauce, 4 Roo STews with red wine for now and then, Frozen Samosas..

But The weather is Heating up, and I have been living on SUBWAY Sandwiches. Home Made - Better and Cheaper. I get LONG wholemeal bread rolls. Lettuce, tomato, onion, grated carrot and Kalamata Olives. And Tasty Cheese. Either with triple smoked ham and Hungarian Salami (Like Subway's Italian BMT), or heated roast beef or pastrami, or Tuna and Mayo, or a HOT sweet chili CHicken Tender (crumbed) out of the oven - with a few oven Potato Wedges while it's running. Or I will take a slice of my versatile Meatloaf, and cut it up into cubic "Meat BALLS", put them in a bowl with a little pasta sauce and grated Parmesan Cheese, NUKE and have a Hot MEATBALL SUB...
The Salami, pastrami, 3 smoked Ham cost $2 for 8 slices, so 25cents a slice, I use two of each with BMT.

Since Meatloaf is essentially Sausage Meat - meat, fat and breadcrumbs and spices - I make myself a 1/3 price Sausage Muffin for breakfast some times. You can pay $2.95 for ONE hash brown at McD's or buy a Kg bag for $3 at the supermarket. They cook quickly and easily in a sandwich Press, 2 full cycles or till Browned to Taste...

I can make a Meatloaf BURGER, with salad cheese and chili sauce.

A Slice of Meatloaf can also be served as the Meat course with Steamed/baked Veggies