Greetings

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

OtterlyHeartfelt

Greetings

Post by OtterlyHeartfelt »

Hi! I'm Otter, and just joined today. I wanted to tell you how I came to be here with all of you. Yesterday morning I saw an ad/info clip on the news or something like that, and it said something akin to "you deserve the support, and we are here to provide it". I don't even remember what it was for specifically, though it was nothing applicable to me. The idea stuck in my head. I deserved support. I did. So there had to be a group out there that would offer that support, surely? So I got to work, searching the net for "adult victim of childhood emotional abuse support". I found a site (I don't recall what it was, offhand) that had a list of organizations that offered support in various forms, and isurvive was one of them. It appealed to me, so I came to check things out. The rules, the categories to post in, the consideration and careful attentiveness to protecting those who came here for help drew me in, made me feel like this could be a good place to share, to be with others who would understand.

The strange thing was, I felt secretive about it. I felt... afraid? I wasn't telling my husband about this exploration of a new way to work through my issues, and that was very unlike me. My husband has been my biggest supporter and helper on my journey to increased and better emotional health. He knows all my stories, all my feelings, and has always been there for me. Why was I keeping this from him? So I told him about it yesterday evening, and about how odd I was feeling. Even as I told him, there was a strange detachment happening that also was not typical of me.

After talking things through with him, I believe that my feelings stemmed from the association of my husband as an authority figure, which I was taught to emotionally abase myself to, and also that after a somewhat recent joyous realization that I had succeeded in not becoming my father, it was scary to realize that I still had so much healing and learning to do. It made me feel vulnerable to reveal this 'weakness', even to the dearest in my life. It was eye-opening, and a good indicator to me that I had made the right decision to join here and seek companionship from y'all as I continued my fight to become who I wanted to be. So here I am... facing my vulnerability and the daunting knowledge that it will always be a life-long struggle, but one well worth the effort.

I hope to be there for the rest of you as best I can, to help you along as well!

~Otter
~ Otter
Harmony
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Greetings

Post by Harmony »

Welcome Otter,

You do deserve support. We are here ready to provide it. Hope you find the listening and company you are seeking.

nice to meet you,
Harmony
Oceantide

Post by Oceantide »

Hi Otter, thank you for your thoughtful greeting. I'm glad you found isurvive and I think you'll find it very supportive. You deserve it. Nice to meet you, Oceantide
Scars

Post by Scars »

Welcome to isurvive, Otter,
I have found a whole new level of healing in this forum and it is because I feel so understood.
I have never found that anywhere else.
I hope you feel it too.
scars
This too shall pass. it may pass like a kidney stone, but it will pass.
Rosahope

Post by Rosahope »

Welcome Otter!
Redisfinallyfree

Post by Redisfinallyfree »

Welcome Otter!

You’ve come to the right place for being understood and supported through your healing journey. This is a very safe place to share your story. You will find that you are among people who have been where you’ve been and understand how you feel. This is a place for validation of your feelings, encouragement that you did not make up or imagine any of what was done to you, and support as you take steps and make decisions to help yourself to heal. And, there is so much more here. I’m so glad that you’ve found your way here.

Redisfinallyfree
Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy »

Hi OtterlyHeartfelt

A very warm welcome to isurvive - glad you found us ;)
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org