Introduction: Tigerlily

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

Tigerlily

Introduction: Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily »

Hi, Everyone,

I’m new to this group and this is the first time I’ve had the courage to share my story of childhood sexual abuse in any kind of support group (much less on social media). I must admit I'm a little nervous to be taking this step! I’ve read countless stories on social media since the Me Too movement went viral, but I always worried my story was too complicated, too hard to explain--even though I've felt inspired to do so many times. Lately I’ve been struggling to come to terms w/ my past, and I thought this might be a safe place to get support and feedback. The first step for me was even acknowledging that I was a child when all this happened. I was 13 and believed that I had agency and a level of control, which has caused me much guilt over the years. It has taken years for me to understand that I was not a consenting adult at the time. My experience had a life-long impact on my self-esteem and on my development as a woman and a person. My own daughter is now away at college, and I feel I now have the time to work on myself and to come to terms with the things that continue to hold me back in my life. I used to tell friends and therapists about the things that happened to me as though I were discussing things I saw in a movie, but lately I feel physically connected to my memories in a new way and it is unpleasant. I want to learn how to heal from my past and while I know I'm not going to get relief overnight, I feel that joining this group might be a first step.

Thank you so much for reading this and for being here and I will figure out which forum it might be appropriate to share my story in.

Sincerely,
Tigerlily
Jonesy
Director
Director

Re: Introduction: Tigerlily

Post by Jonesy »

Hi Tigerlily

A very warm welcome to isurvive - so glad you found us and decided to join.
Hopefully you will soon feel at home ;)
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
Rosahope

Post by Rosahope »

Welcome Tigerlily!
imightmakeit

Post by imightmakeit »

Glad you're here, Tigerlily.
Scars

Post by Scars »

welcome Tigerlily ,
it is an honor to meet you.
scars
A scar is the tattoo of a triumph to be proud of. It says the hurt is over and the wound is closed. It means you conquered the pain, learned a lesson, grew stronger, and moved forward. There is a beauty in my scars that I can see now.
greendreamdays

Post by greendreamdays »

Hi TigerLily, welcome to the forum.
Oceantide

Post by Oceantide »

Hi Tigerlily, nice to meet you and thank you for sharing your very thoughtful introduction. I'm so sorry about what happened to you as a child, and the discomfort your new awareness is causing today, but glad you are seeking support and sharing in a safe place. Sorry for the reasons but glad you found isurvive.
grandma in pain

Post by grandma in pain »

Dear Tigerlily,

Welcome. I hope that you will soon feel safe and comfortable here. Many members will understand your story like no others have in the past
You will forever be in my heart...
(Member since March 21, 2008; 1324 previous posts)
Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy »

Hi Tigerlily

I am hoping you are ok - just shout if there is anything we can do to help you navigate isurvive.
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org