Struggling

A discussion area for anyone who loves a survivor and needs some support of their own.

Moderators: Aspen, Jonesy, Harbor

Dumbfounded

Struggling

Post by Dumbfounded »

I'm struggling today. My daughter had an appointment with one of her T's yesterday. She has two that help her with different aspects of her abuse, they all work as a team. She disclosed some more information about her abuse and thoughts and (shes so strong) she wanted me to know some of it.

I struggle with not letting her know how much it upsets me that she went through so much. When I show emotion she kind of shuts down because she's trying to protect me from the bad. That's my job not hers and I kick myself even more.

I just can't seem to wrap my brain around why anyone would do the things to anyone, especially a child, that they did to her. Especially someone who she looked to for love and protection.

I don't know how to help her sometimes. I want her to feel comfortable about coming to me when she wants to ( she never has to if she doesnt want to) but I have a hard time holding back the sadness and anger when she does. This is a new journey for us. We are just starting out (only a little over a month now) and I know it gets a little easier to talk about it with help and direction as time goes by.

I don't even know if I'm asking for support or understanding or advise at this point. My mind is everywhere and nowhere.
Jonesy
Director
Director

Re: Struggling

Post by Jonesy »

Hi Dumbfounded
Dumbfounded wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:20 pmI don't know how to help her sometimes.
Oh I so hear you on this. I feel the exact same with my daughter when she is struggling. To feel helpless as a parent is the worst thing.
But? When they come to us? Just sitting and listening and letting them cry is priceless - even though we wish we could offer more.
Keep being her mama, just be... that's ok
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
Dumbfounded

Re: Struggling

Post by Dumbfounded »

Thanks Jonesy, I think I really needed to hear that.