Not sure

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

Dumbfounded

Not sure

Post by Dumbfounded »

I'm not sure where to post but I figured an introduction may be in order. I am a parent of a survivor. My daughter is is still a minor. She told me about a month ago about her story. I immediately took her to the police so she could report it. I didn't ask for details or ask her any questions. I'm letting her come to me at her own pace. She's in therapy (she has an amazing therapist thankfully who is working with her on cptsd coping and grounding techniques) I guess I'm here because I need to understand how to support her better. I feel so angry and guilty most days.
Last edited by Jonesy on Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, for no triggering detail
Jonesy
Director
Director

Re: Not sure

Post by Jonesy »

Hi Dumbfounded

I am so glad you found us - hopefully you will get the support you amd your daughter deserve.
Please know that none of this was your fault
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
Scars

Post by Scars »

dear Dumbfounded,
it sound like you have done many good things.
just keep going.
you might need a therapist for yourself.

i say this because i have been trying for 2 years to care for my 18 y/o granddaughter who was traumatized in many ways from a very young age,
and it's the best suggestion given to me when i brought her into my house to live.

scars
A scar is the tattoo of a triumph to be proud of. It says the hurt is over and the wound is closed. It means you conquered the pain, learned a lesson, grew stronger, and moved forward. There is a beauty in my scars that I can see now.
greendreamdays

Post by greendreamdays »

Hi Dumbfounded, glad you are here. I can only imagine the difficulty and pain of hearing your daughter’s story but I am really glad to hear that you are supportive and showing up for her through these uncharted waters. There’s no manual for this sort of thing and I admire anyone who has the courage to stand by survivors even when it risks of bringing up pain of their own.

I agree with Scars, having a therapist for yourself would be a great idea if you don’t already have one.
Rosahope

Post by Rosahope »

Welcome Dumbfounded!
Dumbfounded

Post by Dumbfounded »

Thank you for the welcome.
Last edited by Jonesy on Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, for no triggering detail
quixote

Post by quixote »

Dumbfounded,
Looks like you took care of things. I agree with you. Let her tell you things in her own way.
FireAshes

Post by FireAshes »

Hi Dumbfounded,

I'm sorry that both you and your daughter (especially) have had to experience this. But, I agree with everyone's praise for showing up for her. That's a tremendous act (you have no idea), and letting her be heard and believed and cared for means a lot!

Yes, please seek out a therapist. In my own experience, and opinion (of being the daughter in this scenario), you will likely go through your own process and emotions, and it will be important to not project those on her. Plus, a therapist can give you some great "tools" to help support her.

Thank you for finding us and for seeking advice! Keep going! You're doing amazing so far! <3
Serenity
Director
Director

Post by Serenity »

Hi Dumbfounded. I hope that you and your daughter are doing as ok as possible.

With care
Serenity