“A volcano lived in this woman” BAM!!! So awesome!

An area for discussion of books or articles relating to abuse and healing that you've read or are currently reading.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

Progress

“A volcano lived in this woman” BAM!!! So awesome!

Post by Progress »

Chapter One- Trauma and Recovery by Judith Herman

Anna O. is the pseudonym of Bertha Pappenheim, a woman in the late 1800’s with “hysteria”. She was a patient of Breuer, and this was during the same time Freud was figuring out the root causes of “hysteria” in women (csa).

What they used to call Hysteriaseems to be what we now call C-PTSD.

Omg, what she went through! She seems to be often uncredited for inventing what she called “the talking cure” which Freud decided to call psychoanalysis. (STOLEN, just as we would expect from patriarchal men of science!)

However, Breuer unceremoniously dumped her as a patient, and she was hospitalized/“ill” for several years probably for a breakdown (obviously we know now that a C-PTSD patient is going to suffer major symptoms after being dumped by their therapist like that!)

And then Judith Herman writes a sentence in the book that I think will profoundly stick with me until my dying days:

“And then she recovered.”

Boom. And then she recovered. KA-Bam. I’m sure it didn’t just happen with the snap of her fingers. She worked at it, worked hard, like we all do. But she did it. She recovered.

She became a rock star of the womens liberation movement!!

“Her dedication, energy, and commitment were legendary.”

Her colleague said “A volcano lived in this woman.”

A VOLCANO!!! Wowza. Beyond impressive. I have a new hero. A real hero! Bertha.

“Her fight against the abuse of women and children was almost a physically felt pain for her.”

She was brilliant and passionate.

I feel like an 8 year old- I wanna be like herrrrrrr.

I recognize my own intellectual limitations. But damn, I think there is a volcano in me! I don’t have what it takes to open an orphanage for girls, or invent something genius like “the talking cure” that’s never been done before. But if I can bring awareness to say, the Me Too Movement one day. Or something like that, something that brings awareness to the world, or awareness on even a much smaller level of the human atrocities that happen inside homes, maybe that’s my purpose.

I would’ve been something else career-wise in this world, if I didn’t suffer the abuse. I am barely functioning lots of the time. But my spark is in there somewhere.

Ahhhh, could my spark can really be a volcano? Yay. I hope so.

Idk, thanks for letting me ramble (again) isurvive while I’m having a moment of HOPE. :-)

Progress
quixote

Re: “A volcano lived in this woman” BAM!!! So awesome!

Post by quixote »

Progress,
I'm glad this book was inspirational. Thanks for sharing your review.
quixote
greendreamdays

Post by greendreamdays »

Ahhhh, could my spark can really be a volcano? Yay. I hope so.
Yes you are a volcano! I am not a woman but I think I may be a volcano too. Being a volcano person is hard!
Progress

Post by Progress »

A volcano lives in this PERSON!!

There- it’s fixed!

Actually, I’m going to say renovated, not appropriated.
:-)
ChipmunksRunFree

Post by ChipmunksRunFree »

Progress, your post is everything. Can't put into words what it means to me.
"A chipmunk for you..."
*plucks out the most beautiful flower and gives it to you - a baby chipmunk curled up and sleeping within its petals!...*
Progress

Post by Progress »

Hey chipmunksrunfree,

And then she recovered.
And then he recovered.
And then they recovered.

A volcano lives in this person.

I just love these words!

Your post made me smile,
Progress
ChipmunksRunFree

Post by ChipmunksRunFree »

"A volcano lives in this person"

A volcano that is a force for good! Volcanoes are destructive forces, but we're talking about good human volcanoes. Which is a mini phenomenon. We all know that a single human being can be the most destructive power on this planet... worst volcanoes this world has ever seen. But an embodied, empathic, self-aware human volcano is such a force for good..... *thinking outloud*
"A chipmunk for you..."
*plucks out the most beautiful flower and gives it to you - a baby chipmunk curled up and sleeping within its petals!...*
Progress

Post by Progress »

YES!!!

WHAT YOU SAID! :-)

We are most definitely talking about GOODNESS VOLCANOES!

I am one.

So are you!

I feel like if we had an isurvive mascot it would be “The Volcanoes of Goodness”! lol Maybe our volcanoes are spurting out butterflies and fireflies instead of lava and fire.

Ok, now I’m going down the rabbit hole, but seriously, I can picture the tee-shirts and posters….
Progress

1edit to fix it to NT and a typo
quixote

Post by quixote »

Progress,
Such good ideas. What a great thread. An erupting volcano is so awe-inspiring to watch. A volcano is also a great metaphor for a lot of things, including us!
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

Inspirational book
Last edited by Serenity on Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT for no triggering detail