Relatable Fiction

An area for discussion of books or articles relating to abuse and healing that you've read or are currently reading.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

BlueLady

Relatable Fiction

Post by BlueLady »

I'm wondering if anyone else has found fiction to be Cathartic. I'm going to share some fiction I've found super relatable and why... Some of this may seem to "make light" of a serious situation but honestly I find it very cathartic. I'll add to the list via replies as they come to mind...Spoilers ahead (necessary to explain why relatable) I am going to include films and video games (I couldn't figure out where else to put them)

1. All Star Batman and Robin
Oh boy... fans hate this one but I just love it. Batman is depicted as complete deluded narcissistic psychopath who thinks he's a great hero but just destroys everyone in his path (including Robin who he kidnaps and abuses into becoming his "side kick") Robin even contemplates going to the cops but realizes he can't because they're corrupt and dangerous too. I mean Christ yeeeees? That feeling of being stuck with a psycho and noway out. .

Reading it I just kept thinking "has Frank Miller met my abuser?"

Reading it as a teen I just felt so acknowledged like... granted never was forced to eat bats but... relatable.

2. Silent Hill Homecoming
Another one the fans hate but any CA victim will find it instantly relatable (or I did) The MC returns to his hometown where he has become an outcast and Blacksheep for reasons disclosed as the story progresses.
The mc fabricates an identity as a war vet but really he's just a civilian young adult. The war vet identity is a persona he creates to help him brave the horrors of uncovering his past qnd the dark secrets of the town.
I've played all the classic silent hill games and even though this game as serious flaws I honestly the story evoked the horror of facing child abuse quite well. Other SH games deal with it too but I think this one does it best.
Edit: Angela from SH2 was a little too real for me and a little too on the nose. Less cathartic and more disturbing.

Edit 2: made this ST because the media recommended and talked about could ve extremely triggering (Angela from SH 2 for instance).I'm not sure if me editing it is lowering the rating or if a mod is... somone let me know. I'm sorry!
Last edited by Jonesy on Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed ST to MT, for some triggering detail
BlueLady

Re: Relatable Fiction

Post by BlueLady »

Can I just get this deleted? Thanks.
Last edited by Jonesy on Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, for no triggering detail
Progress

Post by Progress »

I don’t want to suggest you keep or delete, you have to do whatever makes you feel most comfortable, but I do want to say I think this is a fabulous topic.

Somewhere in here, I remember someone writing about tv shows that are good representations of dissociation, etc. The part of the post I remember most was about Steven’s Universe, a cartoon.

The poster said it was a great representation of integration (I think?). And funny thing, at the time I didn’t understand. And I’ve watched that show with my kids tons of times.

But now I get it. And I want to watch some episodes again. I want to see how this fiction is a representation of my DID. And like you, I think it will be cathartic.

…I just have to make it to summer vacation first….sighhhh

Take good care!

Progress
BlueLady

Post by BlueLady »

Thanks progress ! I do need to watch Steven universe...
Maybe they can just delete the paragraphs about my recs. I just feel like it's too personal. I can't edit my posts.
Last edited by Jonesy on Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, for no triggering detail
Progress

Post by Progress »

Yeah, I totally get that. I’ve had moments when I panicked about whether or not my posts made me identifiable. And it could send me into a massive foggy tailspin.

The more time that goes by, the less I worry. Maybe there’s a part of me that expects to one day not stay silent….
Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy »

Hi BlueLady

If you would like to email me, then we can talk this through
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org