Meaningful Music

Games and fun things to talk about.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

Closeyclo

Re: Meaningful Music

Post by Closeyclo »

I have a whole list, but 2 main overall ones which I listen to everytime I need some encouragement or a boost :-

Send Me On My Way, Rusted Root. Cruel Sun. Producers - Dave Brown, Lara Lampenfield, Mike Michalski, Randy Rhodes, Mark McNeely and Rusted Root. 1992. Its not so much the lyrics but how the song sounds and how it feels to listen to it.

Also:

Something Wild. Lindsey Stirling and Andrew McMahon. Brave Enough. Producers- RUMORS, Josh Abraham and Nico Stadi. 2016. - "You've got a big heart, the way you see the world it brought you this far, you might have some bruises and a few scars but you know you're gonna be okay".
Last edited by Jonesy on Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, as no triggering content
A champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall.
Closeyclo

Post by Closeyclo »

Bellatrix wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:13 pm Hi,

I'm new here (first post!) and I have to say that it is music which gets me through difficult days. I've only just decided to seek help after a particularly difficult but unrelated life event and that huge step means my head is just filled with all manner of mixed thoughts. Consequently, I've found that music pushes out all that stuff just enough to feel in control and focus. I have two playlists, the one for bad days when I just want to wallow in misery and the other for when the more objective me is in residence.
One song in particular features on both lists:

First Aid Kit - My Silver Lining (Stay Gold, 2014)

It has an awesome tune and some great lines, in particular the references to not taking the easy road, reminding me that the coming months are all going to be worth it even if it's going to be a tough journey.

Happy listening

Bellatrix
I'm new here too - hi! I just wanted to say that I had never heard this before, I searched on spotify after reading your post and I love it :-) Thank you for sharing :)
A champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Some hymns and Gospel songs are more meaningful for me than others.

At the moment "How Great Thou Art" reminds me of our wonderful Creator and Harry Secombe renders it so well. The Universe is vast; enjoy it

Although some might think it childish, "Jesus Loves Me" has been a life saver. No person might remember me, but I am always loved, despite everything

Elvis Presley (I know others also recorded this) singing "One Day at a Time" pulls me up when I'm thinking back and forth, then/now/future all mixed. Just this one more breath right now. Be present
Onward to a safe community for all people in which to thrive ~ gentle hugs [if okay] ~ Fleur
Booklover

Post by Booklover »

One of my favourite right now is

Raggedy Doll by Philippa Hanna
Album Out of the blue in 2011.

Cause you are beautifully and wonderfully made
I don’t make mistakes and I wouldn’t change a thing
Booklover

I will become a survivor not a victim

Gentle (((((hugs))))) 🤗if ok
Booklover

Post by Booklover »

Love Philippa Hanna and Lilly Jo's new song Known
Booklover

Booklover

Post by Booklover »

Cliff Richard & The Young zones
Livin Doll

I always remember this song as school dinner ladies where in strike and we had just moved so was now a 30min walk to school and we had to be picked up from school for lunch so my mum got my older brother’s ex girlfriend to pick us up and that morning in school we had a sex Ed lesson I must have been about 10 and on we had been learning about eggs and sperm and I embarrassed her by telling her all about it and how the sperm look like tadpoles as so as we got in she put some music and that was the first song. Have loved Cliff ever since it still makes me laugh how this 10yr old could make a 20 something go bright red in the middle of the street as she had no idea how to shut me up.

3 yrs later she was the woman my sf choice to be caught in bed with. It’s one of the few happy memories I have of my childhood and remembering it has put a smile on my face.
Booklover

Booklover

Post by Booklover »

So what other music do people like
Booklover

EasyStreet

Post by EasyStreet »

I love most genres of music and go through definite phases. Certain poetry just speaks right to me, and I've tried to absorb a lot of it. I listen to a lot of songs about pressing on in the face of hardship, mostly historical rough jobs like sailor, soldier, farmer, and so on. Lots of this in Celtic and Celtic Punk folk songs. They can be dark or bright, but they are about what it means to be human. I've just discovered the wonderful world of Canadian (East Coast) bands. Was loving The Stanfields (still performing) but just took a deep dive into "Great Big Sea" and love their lighter happier tone.

I just explore what I want on the internet. It could be a 60 or 600 year old song, but the idea is still the same. Humanity.

(I'm listening to The B-52's right now!)
EasyStreet
Thanks for being

(On this forum, in my tribe, chatting or not, prosper and thrive!)
rybeana

Post by rybeana »

Hi everyone,

My music tastes will vary, its not about a particular artist, or album or genre. It really just depends on my mood!
I can go from classical to heavy rock to old time classics and everything in between.

I will have to say that i listened to Great Big Sea the other day as suggested by EasyStree, on another thread as i didnt notice this one, and it did put a smile on my face. I even got my friend to listen to it, after several messages where they didn't have a clue what i was going on about, would help if i mentioned they were a band!

But at the moment my go to song is: Its been a long day by Rosi Golan. Its how i have been feeling as of late. I just hope that as the song says near the end that i will finally be ready to be here... One step at a time. The healing process is a long journey but will be worth it!
EasyStreet

Post by EasyStreet »

Weird synchronicity, just read that Sean McCann of Great Big Sea was a victim of CSA by his parish priest at age 15 and has been very vocal about quitting drinking and dealing with his abuse later in his career. His energy is a big part of the band. Good to see the upward striving of life as we stumble toward the light in out own way.
EasyStreet
Thanks for being

(On this forum, in my tribe, chatting or not, prosper and thrive!)