Self-soothing & comforting suggestions

This is a place to discuss grounding techniques and self-care strategies.

Moderator: Jonesy

snapdragon

Re: Self-soothing & comforting suggestions

Post by snapdragon »

My brother has a neclace with a tough peice of textured plastic that he can chew on when needed. If anyone is interested ill ask him again where he got it. He is on the autism spectrum. Has ptsd. My therapist has me visualize a beach scene from my last birthday. A sunset. I find it hard to pull up when i get obsessing over what happened
Need something different , more tactile. I was eating a lot of crushed ice coffee. Maybe i need to do that some more. Tactile stuff.
Last edited by Serenity on Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT as no triggering detail included
ephes

Post by ephes »

Currently trying to wean myself off of benzos and that comes with a marked increase in anxiety (short-term I hope).
So I started using CBD oil (non-psychoactive compound of cannabis) and I feel that it does decrease the intensity of anxiety or a panic attack, though doesn't make it go away completely. And it tastes bad.
snapdragon

Post by snapdragon »

River wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:22 am I( don't know how to bump a thread. Hip-check maybe? :roll: :P )

I really find this thread extremely helpful, and I thought it might encourage new members.

River
Love it! hits home.
I received a tiny sequined teddy bear, I collect tiny bears, and it has helped so much after recent mental health break for repressed memory, Very soothing. Its soft and slightly poky at the same time, silky when pet the right way, so good sensory, it has a squish like a stress ball, it is portable, been taking it everywhere last two days. it has a slight pleasant smell. I love it. Made sure to have it while reading this stuff. will be sure to have it for therapy. Called shimmers. I also have been coloring like mad and drawing which is very soothing. I have had these coloring books for years but somehow at the stay at the helpy place they colored a lot and I haven't stopped since. And music. I recently listened to Gardians of the Galaxy mixtape. 1 and two, was great but music can trigger me if I listen to the wrong songs. childhood amnesia, ptsd, survivor.
Last edited by Serenity on Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT as no triggering detail included
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Thanks turtle, for starting this thread. Lots of wonderful ideas. I keep a list of what helps me. That way when I forget, I have my list. Some of mine are, reading, coloring, cuddle with my favorite blanket and my teddy bear. Now I'm adding coming here.
I love butterflies, they give me hope.
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I have my favorite blanket and teddy bear with me. I'm going to try and take a nap.
Xanthia

Post by Xanthia »

Sweet dreams Elizabeth.

Currently snuggling with soft toy under pretend furry blanket.
Xanthia
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Sweet dreams, hugs if that's ok.
Xanthia

Post by Xanthia »

Thank you Elizabeth. Hugs are welcome.

With care,
Xanthia
Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I have extra pretend blanets and teddy bear to share. I have safe hugs, if anyone needs one
Your friend, Elizabeth
there

Post by there »

sharing a safe hug with you, Elizabeth.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.