Self-soothing & comforting suggestions

This is a place to discuss grounding techniques and self-care strategies.

Moderator: Jonesy

Starfish

Re: Self-soothing & comforting suggestions

Post by Starfish »

I like that idea, penne.

I just bought some of my friends face cream & facial scrubb she made(from al natural products) and was selling at a fair yesterday. Something came over me as I was talking to her. Her face is very soft and glowing. I felt like I wanted a soft and glowing face too, even though I look very young and have good skin.
I do not spend money on facial products (in general). I listened to myelf and made the purchase.

I cannot tell you how soothed I felt last nigth when used it and this morning my face is so soft. It makes me feel loved and soothed and comforted. Isn't it strange that I never allowed myself this luxury nor did I even believe my face deserved to feel soft until now.

glad I got to share this with someone this morn. I think I will call my friend and tell her that I like her product.
Starfish
penne

Post by penne »

Oh, a face scrub is a good idea...
jeninprogress

Post by jeninprogress »

Hi everyone,
I'm so happy this thread exists. I have trouble coming up with new ideas to keep the attention. Here are things that work well with all of me:
Coloring /drawing/sketching - some needs to be monitored
Playing solitaire on my phone
There is a kaleidoscope app that Little Girl loves
Playing with my dogs, wrestling with them (they are the sweetest, most gentle pups)
Make tea with lots of honey in it
Watch Looney Toons (I have a DVD box set)
Put my favorite blanket in the dryer to warm it up and snuggle with it
I love the smell of fresh towels, keep one with me at night
I try to buy myself flowers once in a while, or at least take a few minutes in the store or out walking to smell them
The Protector (my teenager) likes goofy food combos like vanilla pudding with m&ms in it
My adult part enjoys the balcony, I have lights all along the railing, a few candles, a chair and a table for journaling.

Take good care all!
Jen in progress

You are not alone
Xyraxus

Post by Xyraxus »

I am so happy this thread exists. I knew nothing about self-soothing before this. It turns out I do some of these things already and didn't even understand why. The idea of being kind to myself was such a foreign concept to me that I just started bawling(good tears).

I like pleasant scents and so I have candles and incense.
I use lighting to set a mood. I bought a Phillips Hue color LED set just for this purpose.
I play music at all times even when I sleep and have different playlists for different reasons.
I have many pillows on my bed with different textures.
I rock.
I read.
I game.
I have a pair of slippers that I wear when I need extra comfort but don't want to be too obvious about it.
I carry two smooth stones in my left pocket with me to comfort me when I need to fiddle.

There are many other examples here that I am interested in and I am thankful for the link to the self soothing site. I am so new on this journey and am so grateful for this site and the people who make up the community. There is so much great information here and already I have learned so much. Thank you so very much.
Cows have hooves because they lactose
there

Post by there »

cooking
inventing or adapting recipes
practicing piano
singing
walking dog
throwing baby pine cones for her to fetch
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Bumping this for ag01 <3
tabby ... Just keep your head above... Swim
Couragetoday

Post by Couragetoday »

Making direct eye contact with dog and sensing unconditional love
3 minutes of watching breathing
Hugging body pillow & rock back and forth and let tears out
Lay on back and blow bubbles and feel them land/ pop on your face.
(Especially neat if ok closing eyes and experiencing this way)
Xanthia

Post by Xanthia »

Have just discovered that gentle breezes through open window caressing skin soothes me
Xanthia
Legion

Post by Legion »

Hai me be jack wen I be sads I has a teddi dat I hug big gav him to me nd ofer lils wen we sad or skerd we go to comfi bed to wen we sad nd snuggle wiv teddi hopes u be bettr :)
tabby

Post by tabby »

We color in color books made for adults. very detailed. But we also have some easy ones too with animals.
tabby ... Just keep your head above... Swim