Positive self care

This is a place to discuss grounding techniques and self-care strategies.

Moderator: Jonesy

Smokey

Positive self care

Post by Smokey »

Hello, I'm new.

No, I'm not a smoker (not any more). But I do like the smell of a bonfire. There's no reason behind the name I chose (I guess that's the point of these forums, isn't it!)

I'm actually a very nice person, but somehow I don't see it - at least, not all the time. At the moment I'm blind to it, so I'm going to post here what I've done today that's right, what I've done that's positive, what disciplines I'm using to heal, flourish, thrive. You're welcome to read it. It's really just an anonymous place to record it so that I can come and look at it among friends (I don't know you yet, but I know you're there)

So, today - I got up. I had my morning coffee and porridge. I wrote a nice memory in my note book. I read a bit about cptsd to help myself understand. I did a day's work 'in the office' (which is currently my lounge). I drank glasses of water. I ranted in private when I felt critical, and made a joke to my inner critic (about bananas), and my cat sat on me, and I laughed. I listened to a talk about self-care on YouTube, and about self protection. I had homemade soup for lunch. I got in touch with someone I love. I stroked my cat. I went for a walk. I watched the sky. I did deep breathing and tremoring (my way of releasing held trauma). I was polite on emails (not always easy!). I finished work on time (I started late, but didn't beat myself up about it - will try to be on time tomorrow). This evening I join my meditation group. And I'll talk to my partner online (we're apart at the moment for a couple more weeks).

What a good day Smokey :D I'm proud of you
Crow

Re: Positive self care

Post by Crow »

Love it Smokey! This was a great post. I may even have to give a brief write up of my day here later :)
Well done you ;)

I'm not a smoker either but agree, the smell of bonfires is amazing!!! And petrol... :D (I don't mean together though - that would be dangerous...)

Crow
A little boy hides in an adult's disguise.
Quote taken from an original poem that I have written.
FrumSurvivor

Post by FrumSurvivor »

Smokey, your post made me smile! That's a lot of sweet stuff to self in one day. Keep it up!!
FrumSurvivor
Crow

Post by Crow »

Here I go then...

This morning I got up, had my Shredded Wheat and a cup of tea for breakfast. I then walked my 9 year old to school on this cold crisp day, taking in the sights and the cool air - really being present in the moment with him and then with myself on the half hour walk back home.
I then caught up with any new notifications on this forum and made notes on which posts to prioritise replies to later in the day.
I started work late (worked from home in the morning - my lounge also), and watched the Starlings, Goldfinches and Robin on the bird feeders in my garden (first back garden of my adult life - waited 16 years for one and recently moved to a house from a flat) whilst working on my laptop. Also saw a Sparrowhawk in the garden too :D
I had lunch at home with my wife and talked with her about how I was feeling mentally. Went to work on site in the afternoon and trained some staff. (Also talked about how to access their own personal data from local authorities and schools etc.) Had a general walk around the offices and warehouse catching up with people.
After coming home and having dinner with my wife and two children, we went out for a walk in the dark for an hour around our neighbourhood looking at all the Christmas lights and decorations on houses in the area. Then spent some time into the evening with my children in their bedroom with the light off peering out of the curtains waiting and watching the foxes coming out onto our front lawn and playing in the street outside the window.
I've spent the past nearly three hours on here looking at and posting replies to others here, hopefully helping them and helping myself at the same time :)

With that, I'm off to bed!

Crow
A little boy hides in an adult's disguise.
Quote taken from an original poem that I have written.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

I thought I posted a reply yesterday but it has gone >poof< and I don't see it...

Crow, I'm grateful for your share - a reminder to enjoy those little moments.

FrumSurvivor, I'm glad it made you smile.

Another day 'in the home office' today, but I am taking 2 hour lunch breaks now that the days are so short and I went down to the river, and cut up a tree that had fallen down, and felt alive away from the computer. Yoga tonight and I've had enough of screens today so I'll say ta-ta for now.
there

Post by there »

:) This thread makes me smile. :)
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
dancingfish

Post by dancingfish »

This was a good one to read again. It does indeed raise a smile! I kind of like "The cat sat on me, and I laughed." :D