Post by Booklover »

Need so more recipes
Booklover

I will become a survivor not a victim

Gentle (((((hugs))))) 🤗if ok
Booklover

Re: Favorite recipes

Post by Booklover »

Blow was just about to post and it went and froze so got to do it again.
Will post recipe for oat cookies tomorrow need to go to bed now as got to be up early as daughter has dress rehearsal tomorrow for her dance show next month.
Booklover

Booklover

Post by Booklover »

My kids love these so always have to double the recipe this amount makes around 100 cookies but these still go super quick

Oat cookies

2lb self raising flour
8oz porridge oats
2oz wheatbran
12oz granulated sugar
12oz soft brown sugar
1/4tsp salt
1lb butter
12tsp golden syrup
8tbsp milk

1. Put the flour, oats, wheatbran, salt and sugars in a bowl and mix well.
2. Rub in the butter to form a crumble consistency.
3. Mix the syrup and milk together, add to the dry ingredients and mix to a stiff dough.
4. Knead lightly and form into a ball. Wrap in cling film and chill for at least 1hr.
5. Form small balls and place on a greased baking sheet, leaving space for them to spread. Lightly press with a fork and sprinkle with sugar.
6. Bake in a preheated oven 190c (375f) gas mark 5 for 15min.
7. If you want them crunchy remove from the baking tray and cook on a wire rack, if you want them chewy leave them for few minutes on the baking tray before removing them to a wire rack to cool.
8. Enjoy
Booklover

Xanthia

Post by Xanthia »

A truly yummy thread.

:D
Xanthia
Booklover

Post by Booklover »

Xanthia I know

have you got any recipes to add in
Booklover

Xanthia

Post by Xanthia »

Rice Salad

Mix in large bowl:

2 or 3 cups cooked rice
One can drained and rinsed mixed beans of choice
Grated large carrot
Grated cucumber (2 or 3 Lebanese or equivalent)
Cup cooked corn kernels
Cup cooked peas
(Corn and peas can be fresh, frozen or canned)
Chopped fresh herbs of choice - such as mint, parsley, dill, chives, etc; about a measuring (UK) tablespoon per cup of rice used
Cup dried small fruit - i use cranberries or sultanas
Optional - cup chopped nuts; chopped onion

This is great to take for a picnic - I cover the top with salad leaves, sliced tomatoes and cheese or eggs, so it is easy to serve. Or to share when attending a pot luck.

When home, I use this for a few meals. Remove from the covered bowl in fridge , where it will keep OK for 3-4 days, enough for now and add dressing. If I haven't used mint, quite nice to mix mint sauce or spread.

I've heated this mixture, omitting cucumber, adding stock or water to avoid sticking to the pot, as a side dish.

Variations include adding crushed pineapple - in which case, the rice becomes too moist to store beyond the next day.
Xanthia
Booklover

Post by Booklover »

Must try that as live rice salad
Booklover

Fleur

Post by Fleur »

A 2 ingredient recipe for pizza dough

1.5 cups self raising flour - regular or gluten free

1 cup Greek yoghurt

This makes enough for 2 to 4 individual pizzas or a 12 inch / 30 cm base

Easiest to use an electric mixer, ideally with a dough hook - sift flour twice and put into bowl. Start mixer on slowest speed

Add the yoghurt a dessert spoonful at a time. If used to USA measurements, a table spoon

[If making by hand, use a non-stick spatula, two chopsticks held together, or a large fork or bread and butter knife (sometimes called a dessert knife). Spoons become too sticky. Get as much help as possible, because it is a good half hour workout ]

Takes a few minutes for the flour to become a ball

May need up to half a cup of extra flour for this to properly work and to dust later - depends a lot on the particular yoghurt and how carefully measured

When you can put the mixture in one piece out on baking paper, do so. Then invert into another bowl, covered with the paper, then plastic wrap, set aside for minimum of 20 minutes

Turn back out on the paper on a board or pastry guide, or clean bench/counter top. Lightly knead then either use a rolling pin or clean empty bottle (or use floured hands) to roughly the size desired. If making individual pizzas, equally divide the dough first using a very sharp knife - or dental floss held either end and "sawing motion"

Place on baking tray or oven proof plates which have either been greased or covered with baking paper. Smooth the dough as evenly as possible, turning edge slightly up to retain topping. If using a stone, follow instruction manual

When topping the pizza/s - use commercial pizza sauce, then sprinkle lightly with grated/shredded cheese or vegan equivalent before adding your favourite items. Remember to cook (roast) vegetables such as pumpkin, then slice or mash before adding to pizza. Top with rest of cheese - when melted, this keeps topping in place

Tips:

When using canned/bottled food, drain them on kitchen paper or through a sieve

Slice fresh items as thinly as possible, as close to same size so they cook evenly

If using meat, choose left over roast or grill fresh meats. When cool enough to handle, slice or cut into small chunks

Grilled capsicum, caramelized onions with your choice of herb/s give a different flavour

For those who like a salty pizza, try using garlic/celery or other vegetable "salt" or lightly splash with balsamic vinegar. Regular salt tends to spoil the flavour of some ingredients

Cooking time - ovens vary as does the type of ingredients used, so stay in the kitchen!

I have a gas oven with a fan and cook at 225 degrees C - approximately 450 degrees F (preheat your stove - gas about 5 minutes; electric longer. If it has an indicator light, all the better)

My mother's rule of thumb is to cook pizza slightly hotter than you'd use for a roast - for her oven, we use 475 degrees F (she roasts at 450)

Check small pizzas after 10 minutes. They'll usually take a little longer, but no more than quarter of an hour

Full size will need at least 12.5 minutes to about 20, depending on toppings

If you want to double the quantity, to make one bigger pizza - check after 15 minutes but might need as long as 40 minutes

These times will be shorter if using a pizza oven. Read and follow the instruction guide

If I am using a different oven, I usually base the doneness on the cheese (not vegan alternative) which will go slightly brown in spots and be completely melted. Vegan alternative will melt but not brown - unless burnt - if left too long, tends to be unpleasant eating

🍕

Bon appetit!

Storage - will not successfully freeze
May keep in fridge perhaps 2 or 3 days - some people like cold pizza with salad

Reheat if desired - most satisfactory way I've used is in a portable electric oven about 5 minutes. I have heard of some people using an air fryer or electric frypan

You could make dough a day prior to cooking - refrigerate on baking tray before adding toppings.

To save time before cooking, ingredients could be prepared, refrigerated, then removed with dough and allowed to get to room temperature

Next day, remove from fridge at least an hour to give dough a chance of returning to room temperature

Assemble and bake as above
Onward to a safe community for all people in which to thrive ~ gentle hugs [if okay] ~ Fleur
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

This recipe has a LOT of sugar, although greatly reduced from my Grandma's original. I haven't experimented with Stevia as I'm sensitive to it - but that could work by using about a quarter of the amount of sugar (ie use 100 grams or about 4 ounces of Stevia)

Homemade Lemon Cordial

Ingredients

One litre/2 pints freshly squeezed lemon juice
One litre/2 pints room temperature water
400 grams/2 cups granulated sugar (see notes)
10 ml/2 teaspoons lemon essence - it is this small amount of alcohol that prevents mould development as well as retaining the flavour during refrigeration

Method

Place sugar and water in large saucepan. Stir over low to medium heat until sugar dissolves. Continue heating, stirring occasionally, until the syrup comes to the boil. Allow to boil a few minutes, five is plenty but only three is also fine, without boiling over

Switch off stove top. Let mixture cool by placing covered saucepan on a wooden board set on table or other safe place in kitchen

Squeeze lemons

The number of fruit required depends on variety and seasonal differences. Some large lemons yield little juice; some smaller ones can be very juicy. As a rough guide, about 20 to 30 medium ripe fruit, cut in half widthways (across). Once I used 45 lemons in a dry year

Tip for getting most juice is to have lemons at room temperature, wash. Then as they are dried, roll each one inside the cloth against bench/counter top

Commercial juicers make it easy. However, if wrists and arms are strong, old fashioned hand squeezers work just as effectively

Don't allow any pith or seeds to remain in the juice because the drink will be bitter

When syrup is cooled, add lemon juice and stir in lemon essence

Pour into clean dry glass bottles with tightly fitting lid

Keep refrigerated

Will last about six weeks

How to use

Gently shake the bottle to mix sediment - straining juice will reduce sediment but also reduce the lemon tang

Pour into a cup and add cool or warm water as desired. You'll need to experiment with preferred taste

In a jug, place a cup of cordial to which mix in 4 cups of water and one of fizzy drink (eg soda or mineral water) to make a pleasant beverage. Add fresh mint leaves for decoration and producing a slightly minty flavour - bruise mint leaves for stronger taste

Enjoy!!

Notes regarding sugar

Granulated white or light brown/raw sugar work best. White gives a clearer drink, such that it looks similar to what is available in shops. Brown causes a "dirty" or "cloudy" appearance with a hint of caramel flavouring. Reminds me of water at spas taken directly from rocks. Tastes okay but might be off putting, especially for children

Don't use caster sugar or icing sugar as not only are these more expensive but can clump after standing

I once used pulverised dark brown sugar but had to throw away after a day because it tasted so horrible
Onward to a safe community for all people in which to thrive ~ gentle hugs [if okay] ~ Fleur
Booklover

Post by Booklover »

Oh we love homemade lemonade will have to give this one ago
Booklover