Favorite recipes

Games and fun things to talk about.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

Chessgirl

Re: Favorite recipes

Post by Chessgirl »

What salad dressing is your favorite to make? I love butter lettuce with onions sliced into rings, with shaved Parmesan and a dressing made of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, sometimes some fresh herbs and occasionally a pinch of sugar (I know you don’t like the sugar though) oh and a little spicy mustard
Chessgirl
Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy »

*I will be right over Chessgirl ;)
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
Chessgirl

Post by Chessgirl »

Haha Jonesy I’ll set you a spot at the table :)
Chessgirl
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Chessgirl wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:06 am I enjoy cooking many of the things you mentioned. I love bacon on bread with mayo. I eat BLTs a lot. Salmon with butter and lemon is my go to. I also love sautéed spinach with butter, coconut oil and lots and lots of garlic. Those are all delicious and healthy...

I’ve never heard of someone refer to it as the SAD diet ...standard American diet lol sounds appropriate
Everything you mentioned except the regular bread is keto (but there is keto bread that's easy to make). You don't have to do anything radical right now when you're pregnant, but do include these things that you enjoy right now. Besides, spinach is extremely high in folic acid...plus it's totally yummy! Salmon (a fatty fish) with a buttery lemon sauce is also a great choice - and something that you enjoy. That's all keto is. Just good high fat choices that are healthy and tasty so you're not hungry that often. And no sugar or starches. And don't eat unless you are actually hungry.

Easy-peasy.
dancingfish

Post by dancingfish »

Chessgirl wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:09 am What salad dressing is your favorite to make?
I'm not sure if this is an open question, but I love making my own dressing. :) I usually have a pot of this one on hand at all times:

Salt
Pepper
Sugar
Dried herbs (oregano is current favourite, else basil, marjoram)
Mustard (I like Dijon, and we want the ground up mustard seeds to emulsify the mix)
Vinegar (cider or red wine vinegar usually)
Extra virgin olive oil

I add all the ingredients except the oil, stir to dissolve things a bit and mix in the mustard, then oil and shake it up well. It's really nice on chopped ripe tomatoes, cucumber and spring onion. Maybe some bits of mozzerella too. :)

(Edit: Quantities! Mostly to taste, but as a guide about 1 tsp each of dry ingredients, 2-3 tsp mustard, 50ish ml vinegar, 125ish ml oil. Everything except the oil fills my pot up to 60ml or so, then up to 200 with the oil. It's to taste really anyhow!)
Chessgirl

Post by Chessgirl »

Oh that sounds perfect! Thanks dancingfish!
Chessgirl
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Another wonderful KETO idea! I just bought a bag of "The Granola Bakery - KETO Nut Snack - Candied Pecan Crunch with Cinnamon" - a 9.5 oz. bag for $11.99 OR 3 bags for $32.99 @ AMAZON. It is SO GOOD! Only ONE net carb per ¼ cup serving, too! I was about to order the 3 bag deal, and then I got to thinking. I have the entire internet FULL of keto recipes AND I have 3 HUGE bags of pecans from Costco just sitting in my fridge ATM. Being Keto for all these years, why in the heck am I not putting all those lovely pecans to use?? I checked out the recipes and I have all the "keto" ingredients - and I mean ALL of them!!! Even the weirder ones: powdered erythritol (aka keto friendly confectioner's sugar, can be homemade by regular erythritol run through the blender), sugar free chocolate chips (got BAGS AND BAGS of them!), and plenty of cream cheese and the like. Some recipes are simple, just egg whites, cinnamon, and toasted pecans, but this one caught my eye. Gotta try it! But I'd like to find one quite similar to the "Candied Pecan Crunch", too.

BTW, these are all allowed on a ketogenic diet. Gotta love it. One helluva dessert after a nice filling keto dinner, I can assure you!

Keto 3 Musketeers Candied Pecans

1.5 cups Roasted Pecans
3 oz Cream Cheese, softened (30 sec. - 1 min. in microwave)
2 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (like Hershey's)
3 tbsp Powdered Erythritol (all natural sugar substitution)
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
¼ cup Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips
1 tbsp Coconut Oil

1. Blend together cream cheese, cocoa powder, erythritol, and vanilla in a large bowl.
2. Toss in pecans until evenly coated.
3.Combine chocolate chips and coconut oil in a heat-proof bowl. Microwave in 15-second intervals until melted.
4.Drizzle melted chocolate over the pecans.

Net Carbs: 3 each serving = 1/6 of recipe

kimspireddiy dot com/best-keto-pecans-low-carb-keto-3-musketeers-coated-pecans-idea-chocolate-candied-sugar-free-quick-easy-ketogenic-diet-recipe-completely-keto-friendly/
ENJOY!

Honeybera, the Keto Queen :mrgreen:
Watercolor

Post by Watercolor »

This isn't a measured recipe but I've been enjoying some green curry paste I bought from Amazon a few months back.

What tends to go into the pot is a generous portion of the green curry paste, a good splash of fish sauce, chopped onion, zucchini, and whatever other vegetation I have on hand. I've thrown in some spinach, carrots, and usually potato, which absorbs other flavors well. And I've used chicken or pork for the protein. Oh, and a can of light coconut milk. Once used cream of chicken soup instead. I just love curry flavor.
Harmony
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harmony »

I made an improvised Gado Gado peanut sauce. I take a little (or a lot) of peanut butter, add low fat coconut milk add spice like sambal or other peppery stuff and a little rice vinegar. It is so good over veggies or as a dip. I am not so into to making our kitchen hot right now.
Watercolor

Post by Watercolor »

Harmony, that sounds intriguing!

I totally hear you about not wanting to heat up your kitchen. Perish the thought! lol