Favorite recipes

Games and fun things to talk about.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

Chessgirl

Re: Favorite recipes

Post by Chessgirl »

I agree with Jonesy. This Avocado suggestion is amazing, thanks honeybera!
Chessgirl
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Jonesy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:09 pm Thanks for the tip honeybera 8-)
honeybera wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:42 pmBut if you put them into the fridge when they're still hard, they'll stay hard and inedible.
Love you always, Jonesy and Chessgirl! Happy you like the tips. Just this one will save you a ton of $$$$! I'm never in a rush to use up the avocados before they're mushy and ugly inside and unusable. They stay perfectly ripe and are just lovely to eat. SO HEALTHY! AND YUMMY! This trick enables you to buy them on sale and enjoy every one.

Enjoy your avocados! :mrgreen: ♥♥♥

Honeybera
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

News Flash! Walmart is now carrying Rebel Ice Cream nationwide and online grocery, too! (IT'S KETO! AND SUGAR FREE!) Nice and creamy. Made the way I'd make it - and an entire pint is only 4-8 net carbs, depending on the flavor. Expensive, even at Walmart, but they're over $1.00 cheaper than buying it direct. They only have Mint Chip, Peanut Butter Fudge, and Triple Chocolate at this time, but hey, I mean...WALMART! No weird tastes. It's just like regular ice cream (the really rich stuff). We have it shipped here in a box with dry ice by the case, but I was really amazed that they made it to Walmart. At the Rebel Creamery, they have a ton of different flavors. My favorite is the Banana Peanut Butter Chip, and the chocolate chips are plentiful, but truthfully, anything with "chip" in the name is ok by me. The Orange Cream tastes just like an Orange Dreamsicle <drool!>, but these flavors listed above are all that Walmart has so far. It should be a big hit. They already ran out of the chocolate! :mrgreen: But any of these flavors scooped on top of a slice of keto pound cake makes a wonderful dessert without much fuss.

rebelcreamery dot com

Aw heck! Here's the recipe for a really decent pound cake (one of my favorites)!

EASY Keto Vanilla Pound Cake

This Keto Vanilla Pound Cake is an incredibly simple dessert with excellent macros and just the right amount of sweetness. It also stores very well, that is...if there are any leftovers! CAN BE SLICED AND FROZEN!!

• 2 cups almond flour
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 cup butter
• 2 ounces cream cheese
• 1 cup granular erythritol (like Swerve) [SWEETENER]
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 cup sour cream
• 4 large eggs

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Generously butter a 9 inch Bundt pan, set aside
3. Combine almond flour and baking powder in a large bowl, set aside
4. Cut butter into several small squares and put in separate bowl, add cream cheese
5. Microwave butter and cream cheese for 30 seconds. Be careful to not burn cream cheese. Stir these wet ingredients together until well combined.
6. Add erythritol, vanilla extract, and sour cream to butter and cream cheese mixture. Stir well.
7. Pour wet ingredients into large bowl of almond flour and baking powder. Stir well.
8. Add eggs to batter. Stir well.
9. Pour batter into buttered Bundt pan, place in oven and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick placed in the cake comes out clean.
10. For best results, let cake cool completely for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight. If you remove it too soon, it may crumble a bit.

A toothpick should come out mostly clean, with just a few crumbs when the cake is done. If it looks overly wet place it back in the oven in 5 minute intervals until cooked. It should bounce back when gently touched but may have a little jiggle. This is typical with almond flour desserts until completely cool. The edges are going to start getting dark brown and looking burnt pretty quickly. They're not burnt.

You can easily half the recipe or alter the shape to make cupcakes or a loaf. You can also easily customize the flavor by adding strawberries or blueberries to the cake batter, or to the dish once it's done, like I've shown in the pictures (nutritional info does not include strawberries or whipped cream).

Serving Size: 1 Piece (1/12 of cake or 65 grams)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 249 Total Fat: 20.67g NET Carbohydrates: 5.23g Protein: 7.67g
www dot heyketomama dot com/keto-vanilla-pound-cake/

Enjoy!
Honeybera
Chessgirl

Post by Chessgirl »

That cake recipe sounds yummy, thanks! I’m gonna have to try the rebel ice cream... especially now that I’m pregnant and constantly hungry. Trying to incorporate more folic acid into my snacks and meals.Thanks again honeybera!
Chessgirl
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Chessgirl, the really good part is that you can have this yummy stuff, but without any sugar or guilt. Much better for you and your family. BTW, congrats on the new baby on the way! :mrgreen:

Does anything else sound good? I make a mean asparagus soup. Or creamed spinach. Both are excellent sources of folic acid.
Chessgirl wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:47 pm I’m pregnant and constantly hungry. Trying to incorporate more folic acid into my snacks and meals.
Easy Keto Creamed Spinach

The Preparation
• 10 ounce box frozen spinach
• 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
• 3 ounces cream cheese
• 2 tablespoons sour cream
• ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
• ¼ teaspoon onion powder
• Salt and pepper to taste

The Execution
1. Defrost frozen spinach in the microwave for 2 min. in a small rectangle glass pan (with storage lid for leftovers, if any).
2. Add seasoning and cream cheese to the pan, stir, and microwave again. Then stir together until cream cheese has melted.
3. Add sour cream and Parmesan and mix together well until the creamed spinach is thickened.

This makes a total of 3 servings of Easy Keto Creamed Spinach. Each serving comes out to be 165 Calories, 13.22g Fats, 3.63g Net Carbs, and 7.33g Protein.

Can also be topped with shredded cheese (opt) and baked at 350ºF until bubbly.
=======================================

Basic Cream of Vegetable Soup

This recipe can be made into any sort of soup you'd like. Very versatile!

• 3 tablespoons salted butter
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 1 c. cauliflower, cut into florets
• 2 cups water or chicken stock
• 1 1/2 cups fried vegetables, i.e. carrots, broccoli, spinach, asparagus, mushrooms, green beans, cabbage, or zucchini
• Salt and pepper
• 1/2 cup heavy cream
• 3 oz. cream cheese.

Directions
1. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
2. Add the chopped onion and cook until tender without browning.
3. Stir in cauliflower and your vegetables of choice until all are lightly caramelized; add liquid.
4. Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer.
5. Puree the soup with a stick blender in saucepan.
6. (Leave ½-1 cup of vegetables not pureed if a chunkier soup is preferred.)
7. Season soup with salt and pepper and finish with heavy cream and cream cheese. Blend soup until smooth.
8. Serve warm.

*Can add cooked chicken, beef, pork, sausage, or frozen meatballs for heartier soup.
*Can add shredded Parmesan or other shredded cheese.
*Can add spices of all sorts.
===================================

Cream of Asparagus Soup
My favorite keto soup! SUPER EASY TO MAKE!

1 lb. of asparagus, cut into 2-inch lengths, fresh or frozen
1 onion, chopped
2 T. butter
4 cups chicken broth
½ cup heavy whipping cream (and/or sour cream and/or 2 oz. full fat cream cheese)
Salt and pepper to taste

 Sauté onion and butter about 3 minutes.
 Add chicken broth slowly.
 Add asparagus.
 Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until asparagus is tender
 Puree mixture until smooth.
 Add cream, salt, and pepper to pureed soup and reheat.

Serves 4

Variations:
Parmesan cheese and garlic can be added.
Spinach fresh or frozen can be added.
Broccoli can be used instead of asparagus.

===================================================
FREEZING SOUP

Another tip: on Amazon, search for Souper Cubes. For soups, get the 1cup cubes to start. (I also have the 2cup cubes for chili or stews.) When the soup is done, cool and fill up the four 1 cup cubes and stick into the freezer (full of yummy soup packed with folic acid!).
Once frozen, take out and put the frozen soup cubes into a Ziploc gallon bag and put that back into the freezer for several months.
Wash the Souper Cube container and make more soup. :mrgreen:

When ready for a nice bowl of soup, take out one cube and put it into a bowl and nuke it until piping hot. ENJOY! It's so nice to have hearty, homemade, healthy soup on hand in the freezer. It really works! ♥♥♥ I even use it for my collard greens and ham hocks.

And don't forget that all citrus, like oranges (not just the juice), are excellent sources of folic acid + fiber, too. YUMMY! Hand your daughter a wedge to munch on, too. ;) ♫Teach your children well.♪♫

Honeybera
Chessgirl

Post by Chessgirl »

All great recipes that I’m excited to try. I’ve been super sick lately and have actually been craving a brothy soup. I have the worst nausea right now. I’ve been wanting a creamed spinach recipe so thank you for that one. Shocked that all that cream cheese and it’s still a keto thing. I’m super glad I have you with these recipes honeybera. Yeah soup is what sounds amazing to me right now so if you think of a good soup recipe please share. I can barely get out of bed but my fiancé will cook if I give him simple recipes. I appreciate you honeybera!
Chessgirl
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Chessgirl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:40 pm All great recipes that I’m excited to try. I’ve been super sick lately and have actually been craving a brothy soup.
Hi Chessgirl! :mrgreen: Yes, these are some of my favorites. Going back into my "Atkins Recipes" directory I'm finding that I have so many low carb recipes in there that I've had to mark them as #1 and #2, etc. if they are to make the same type or name of recipe. The one for "Soup" is HUGE, maybe 40-50 different recipes for good old soup. Even bone broth. Very healthy to make, but time consuming...unless you've got an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker. Simple recipe, just takes a good while to make it - like hours (pressure cooker) or days (otherwise). I've got every kitchen gadget known to man and I've tried making bone broth both ways, but I've come to find that I just don't like bone broth very much! Maybe it's just the name of it? :lol:
Chessgirl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:40 pm I have the worst nausea right now.
Sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better soon.
Chessgirl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:40 pm I’ve been wanting a creamed spinach recipe so thank you for that one.
I also recommend to go out on the internet and type in keto creamed spinach on Google...and stand back! Keep hitting the "show more" button and note the stars given to each recipe and how many have rated them. You'll be in Creamed Spinach Heaven! :lol: And spinach (never the canned stuff, but frozen and fresh are ok) is HIGH on the folic acid list every time. So a nice lunch or dinner with some creamed spinach and an orange for dessert would be a great choice for so many reasons.
Chessgirl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:40 pm Shocked that all that cream cheese and it’s still a keto thing.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Uh...yeah, it is. FULL FAT FOODS, like Cream cheese, in fact, ALL (or most anyway) cheeses, heavy whipping cream (HWC), butter, coconut oil, BACON, eggs, avocados, and so on are all high fat, and are in accordance with a ketogenic diet. I even make pizza dough with creamed cheese, FULL FAT mozzarella cheese, almond flour, and an egg. It's called Fathead Dough. SO GOOD! Recipes for it are all over the internet. FULL FAT creamed cheese is a staple in a ketogenic diet. This diet is the complete opposite of all you've ever been taught about what a "diet" for weight loss or healthy eating is. It is the hardest thing to really follow because we've been taught all our lives that fat is bad and NONFAT is good and eating that way makes YOU "GOOD". The trouble is that it doesn't work. You do lose some weight, find yourself starving, binge or compulsively eat, and then it comes back on...with just a few pounds more. :cry: And people are finding out that this WOE is not only incredibly satisfying, but it truly works! Word of mouth spreads the good news (how did you hear about it?), and there you are.

And then Keto-vangelists like me happen. :roll: :mrgreen: I'm losing weight, my liver has healed up (from too much sugar and carbs), my diabetes and insulin resistance is slowly going away...and all due to my eating a pork chop dinner tonight! I don't want gravy tonight, but if I did, I could have it and it would be rich and creamy and delightful. I could have some mashed cauliflower that tastes like real mashed potatoes. I just got a shipment of 3 cases of Rebel ice cream (mint chip, banana peanut butter chip, and Peanut Butter Caramel Chip - OH LORDY!!) on my front door step today, as we do approx. once a month. I think I'll top it all off with the banana flavor.
(From their website: rebelcreamery dot com with a preface by me re: NET CARBS)
[NET CARBS = TOTAL CARBS - FIBER]
On STRICT KETO (like me), I get 20-30 NC per day. Dirty keto is around 50 NC per day. Creamed cheese = 1 or 2 NC/oz., Spinach = 2 or 3 NC,
HWC = 0-1 depending on the brand, Parmesan cheese = 0 NC!
NC = Net Carbs

So as long as I stay within the 20-30 carbs or less, I'm GOOD!
2.4g net carbs per serving. 7.2g net carbs per pint.

[Try that with Ben and Jerry's!!! :P The FULL PINT of B&J's Chunky Monkey (banana ice cream, fudge chunks, and walnuts), the closest I could find to Rebel's flavor, is a whopping 123 Net Carbs!! As compared to the 7 NC in Rebel! One pint of the B&J's - JUST ONE PINT - is six times my daily limit of carbs!! FORGET IT.]

Banana flavored ice cream with a peanut butter swirl and chocolate chips. (BIG chips, too!) YUM

Ingredients: Cream, Water, Peanut Butter (Peanuts, Peanut Oil, Allulose, Salt), Chocolate Flakes (Coconut Oil, Cocoa, Erythritol, Sunflower Lecithin, Salt, Dutched Cocoa, Vanilla Extract, Monk Fruit), Erythritol, Vegetable Glycerin, Egg Yolks, Chicory Root Fiber, Milk Protein Isolate, Natural Banana Flavor, Lactase Enzyme, Peruvian Carob Gum, Guar Gum, Salt, Monk Fruit.
Monk fruit and allulose and Erythritol are all natural, but still keto, sweeteners (allulose and Erythritol are aka sugar alcohols, but NOT alcohol, sugar free, and give a sweet taste to things, like stevia does, another keto sweetener). Dutched chocolate is like unsweetened powdered baking cocoa, like Hershey's.

This WOE is NOT a diet, it's a way of life. But you can lose weight/fat, especially if you fast, which is EASY to do by eating all this fat. And protein and veggies, etc. Fasting during pregnancy is strongly discouraged, though. Keto is fine.
Chessgirl wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:40 pm I’m super glad I have you with these recipes honeybera. Yeah soup is what sounds amazing to me right now so if you think of a good soup recipe please share. I can barely get out of bed but my fiancé will cook if I give him simple recipes. I appreciate you honeybera!
Your fiancé sounds like a real gem!! Keep him! I'll go through those soup recipes. Any favorites? This WOE has taught me how to make soups (which I love, too, like you) from scratch. It's a little bit tougher making soups without rice, potatoes, corn, beans, and so on. I do miss the days of cracking open a roll of biscuits that I can just lay in a pan and bake them, but doing it this way, although not easier, it is doable. And I know what's in every biscuit! So in a way, this is a diet devoid of all sugars and starchy veggies, but full of meats and veggies that grow on TOP of the soil and lots of homemade things. So I'll send you what I can, but if you get a craving for split pea soup with ham or a big pot of chili with beans, just google it! Your dear man can whip something up just for you, and in your condition, that is ♥LOVE♥ of the best kind !! :mrgreen: Even if he makes you some ready made Crescent Rolls to go with it. :P

Here's something yummy that I'm about to try out myself (Google these): keto fathead dough cinnamon rolls. This recipe got a full 5 STARS out of 169 REVIEWS!! On her website, she has lots of pictures of these all warm, soft, gooey, and yummy! I can almost smell them baking!

Keto Cinnamon Rolls

These keto cinnamon rolls will blow your mind. They're soft, chewy, fluffy and utterly delicious... yet without all the carbs and sugar of regular cinnamon rolls.

Servings 12 Net Carbs: 1.3 each

• 175 g shredded mozzarella (see notes!) (1 ½ cups)
• 80 g almond flour (extra fine) (¾ cup)
• 2 tbsp cream cheese
• 1 egg room temperature
• ½ tsp baking powder

For the filling:
• 2 tbsp water
• 2 tbsp granulated sweetener or brown sugar substitute
• 2 tsp cinnamon

For the frosting:
• 2 tbsp cream cheese
• 1 tbsp Greek/full fat yogurt or sour cream
• 2 drops vanilla stevia or other liquid SF sweetener (LIQUID Splenda) + vanilla

1. Pre-heat oven to 360ºF.
2. Melt the mozzarella and cream cheese in a non-stick pot over a low heat or in a microwave (1 ½ minutes, stirring half way through). Take off the stove and/or make sure the cheese is melted, but not bubbling.
3. After letting it cool a bit, stir in the egg quickly.
4. Now add the almond flour and baking powder. Start to combine using a fork, then use your hands to make a ball of smooth dough. [BTW, this is Fathead Dough! Very famous stuff! :mrgreen: Can be made into a ton of other things, like pizza, crackers, bagels, and so on.] This can be easier if you lightly oil your hands first.
5. Divide the dough into 6 balls of 50g each.
6. Form long rolls (40cm), then flatten out with your hands. Make the dough as thin as you can. [Place one ball of dough between two pieces of parchment paper and roll out with a rolling pin. Or use parchment paper and a tortilla press.]
7. Prepare your cinnamon filling: boil water, then stir in the sweetener and cinnamon.
8. Spread the cinnamon paste over the flattened dough rolls.
9. Roll each into a bun and cut sideways in half.
10. Now you have 12 buns which you place on a non-stick baking sheet or in a pie dish.
11. Bake for 20 minutes.
12. While the rolls are in the oven, prepare the frosting: Mix cream cheese, yoghurt (or sour cream) and stevia.
13. Spread over the warm rolls and serve

*This recipe works best with pre-shredded mozzarella from the supermarket. Fresh white mozzarella contains too much liquid and is too runny.
The dough is a bit tricky to work with. Do oil your hands if you find it too sticky. If it cools down too much, just warm it back up to make it easier to handle.
*Don't be fooled by the size of the rolls - they may be small, but are quite filling! If you have it, use a brown sugar alternative to make the filling - it has a taste very similar to brown sugar and works great with cinnamon.
*You can use butter instead of the water, which gives the rolls a nice buttery taste. I made a few using butter, then decided to just dissolve the sweetener in water as the rolls are very high in fat already. The choice is yours!
*If you do not have vanilla-flavored stevia, you could add a bit of vanilla extract and additional sweetener to your frosting.
*If you don't have extra fine almond flour and are using almond meal or ground almonds, add an additional 2 tbsp of almond meal/ground almonds or 1 tbsp of coconut flour. [Costco carries Extra Fine Blanched Almond Flour (blue package) and one bag should last you for a long, long time.]
Nutrition
Calories: 94kcal | Total Carbohydrates: 2.1g | Protein: 6.2g | Fat: 7.2g | Saturated Fat: 2.3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.4g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 98mg | Potassium: 9mg | Fiber: 0.8g | Sugar: 0.4g

MAKE SURE TO GO TO THE FOLLOWING WEB PAGE TO SEE THESE GORGEOUS and EASY CINNAMON ROLLS!
sugarfreelondoner dot com/keto-cinnamon-rolls-sugar-free/

A rare positive story about MD: When she'd make a pie crust, she'd trim off the edges, and with the leftover dough, she'd ball up the pie crust dough, RE-ROLL the dough flat, cover it with cinnamon, sugar, and butter, roll and slice it up to make cinnamon rolls, and then bake it. Then she'd give me one, tell me to "go play", and she'd eat the rest of them, but at least I got ONE. :mrgreen: And they were SO GOOD! She also made me Campbell's Tomato Soup and ½ of a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch, a favorite of mine to this day. You're instilling food preferences in your little girl right now. ♥♥♥ What a blessed time for you right now, even with the nausea.
===============================================

I also found you these for when your fiance isn't in the mood to cook, but will happily get you take-out. After well over 3 yrs. of NO TAKE-OUT, I can't tell you how thrilled I was to see this!!! I was on Hour 39 of a fat fast and my mouth was literally watering looking at all these and realizing that I could OCCASIONALLY treat myself with some of these!! It's been so long!! :mrgreen: I had to share...

www dot thedietchefs dot com/keto-taco-bell-menu-items/

www dot thedietchefs dot com/keto-at-mcdonalds/

www dot thedietchefs dot com/keto-at-starbucks/

Granted, no tortillas, buns, potatoes, or even ketchup (that they serve there, but there IS Heinz SF Ketchup and it tastes just like the other kind!), but to be able to order something from the above places and not screw up my diabetes, fatty liver disease, or arthritis (even gout) again for the price of fast food...well, I just can't wait! At least I know that it's available to me, albeit limited. I can even have a BIG MAC (without the bun, but all the rest)!! I am so stoked over this!!! I never knew up until today. GOD BLESS THE INTERNET!!!

Honeybera
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

Any diabetics out there? My blood sugars this morning (after an 84-hour/3.5 day fat fast) were a mere 115! :mrgreen: I AM THRILLED!!

For me, what works as a "fat fast" is ONLY eating bacon and eggs, avocados with mayo (my own homemade with healthy oils like avocado or light olive oil), olives (green or black), deviled eggs (hard boiled egg whites filled with mashed yolk, mayo, and mustard YUM!), AND any "leafy greens" (baby spinach or collards for me) sauteed in butter, garlic butter or butter flavored coconut oil (Nutiva brand - found on iHerb dot com or Amazon) or plain lettuce in a salad with mayo (can add some hard boiled egg and celery to make egg salad or some avocado - or both = super filling!). The coconut oil is used in cooking because it won't burn as quickly when frying something, and with this added butter flavor, it's totally scrumptious!! Salmon prepped in butter and served with lemon is ok, too, baked or fried. (Fatty fish.) I could eat sardines, too, but no. Not for me. Most spices are allowed.

Or cook the heck out of ham hocks in water until they just fall apart, add the greens and spices and herbs and cook until tender. Best bone broth soup ever! Really fatty! YUM It's not on the sheet of "can-haves", but hey! Look at my blood sugars after 3.5 days! And since the "fat fast" allowances are so fatty and satisfying and filling, I usually only eat OMAD (One Meal a Day) anyway. I can SEE and FEEL the weight loss finally!

Eating fat will NOT raise my insulin levels, and for a Type II diabetic like me, that is exceptionally good! All carbs will raise insulin levels, even lettuce and the like, and even 45% of meats will raise them (the lean parts) because all these foods turn into glucose (SUGAR!) in our bodies and then increase our blood sugars. Insulin has to store the "leftovers" of our meals as fat on our bodies, but the FATS we EAT are ZERO CARBS and won't raise insulin levels one iota. When I kept flooding my body with sugar for decade after decade, plus the constant stress of abuse of so many kinds over the years, my cortisol (stress hormone) levels were raised constantly, which then raised my insulin levels (the fat storage hormone), and finally made me FAT, and not one blessed soul ever told me what had been happening to me over the years and what to do to stop it: STOP EATING SUGAR OF ALL KINDS. When I finally figured it out, I let my sugar GO. Sodas (Coke/Pepsi/etc.) are the worst, and they WILL give you T2 diabetes and will cause you amputations, blindness, and much, much worse if you finally succumb to the disease!! I used to pick up wheelchair bound amputees with no feet on my bus routes all the time. It made a believer out of me, I can assure you!! Diabetes doesn't play! :|

I also use an iPhone app called ZERO: fasting and health tracker. FREE in the App Store on iPhones. It's really helped!! Easy to set up, too.

==============================================

I'm now at Hour 89:12 of my current fast. Getting sort of hungry - one cuppa hot mocha BP coffee would PROBABLY suffice, but those new bone-in sirloin pork chops DS just went to the store and got for me AT 88¢/LB ON SALE are calling me! They're perfect! How they do this low pricing on this incredibly wonderful meat is beyond me, but I'm SO glad that they do! I love crispy pork chops fried in lard and sprinkled with smoked Applewood sea salt. OK, my mouth is watering now!! I think I'll top my chops with a few caramelized onion slices and add an avocado side salad. Oh man, does that sound GOOD! With some Banana Peanut Butter Chip ice cream from Rebel for dessert. Slap yo' mama good!!!

DS also got me some fresh Almond Butter and I think I'll have it on my toast with some SF peach jam. (There's a machine that grinds it at our local grocery store, so the Almond Butter has NO additives - NICE! :mrgreen: ) The store-bought Keto "raisin" (flavored) bread just doesn't have the flavor or texture that mine does, so I think that next bread baking day, I'll just add some Saigon cinnamon (very healthy spice) and some Extra Strength Cream Cheese Frosting Oil (by LorAnn Oils - Netrition dot com) and maybe even some Date extract or Raisin extract (by Amoretti dot com) to the water/eggs at the bottom of my bread machine pan with a tiny bit of extra sweetness to it, too. Maybe some "brown sugar" (Lakanto Golden [brown sugar substitute - also Netrition]) or a scant ½ teaspoon or so of molasses. Add a schmeer of artificially sweetened whipped cream cheese (sweetened by Swerve or Lakanto: erythritol + monk fruit based - sold on Netrition) on homemade buttered and toasted "cinnamon-raisin" bread and OMG! Seriously good eats!!

Just sayin'...

Honeybera (running to the kitchen to start dinner!!) :lol:
honeybera

Post by honeybera »

I'm beginning to see that I cook from scratch a LOT. By "from scratch" I mean that I don't buy packaged goods, even like tater tots or Cream of Whatever Soup or even pasta. Not that I don't love to eat them. They just don't like me. I don't even use flour anymore. Not wheat flour anyway. To cook for the SAD diet (Standard American Diet) is so easy, but not all that healthy. To cook for a ketogenic diet or low carb diet is much more tricky, even being somewhat of an art form, as least to cook well while following one and producing something really tasty.

In a time of shortage, how will people cook for themselves that don't understand cooking? I am proud to bake my own bread and make my own mayonnaise. Couple that with some bacon and a sliced tomato and you've got yourself a real treat! I can even make a pie crust from some almond and/or coconut flour or even just with crushed nuts. Or cookies from dough that I've created from nothing but a few ingredients, but not from a roll that I slice up that was purchased in a grocery store. The skill of cooking well is becoming a lost art form. Wow. What happens if our food supplies dwindle down to the basics? How will we cope? Bread does not form on the grocer's shelves. Milk and eggs don't magically appear there either, nor do they combine themselves into recognizable food. I am grateful for my knowledge as to how to put them together and feed us. I'm so glad that I can make a cookie.

Honeybera
Chessgirl

Post by Chessgirl »

I enjoy cooking many of the things you mentioned. I love bacon on bread with mayo. I eat BLTs a lot. Salmon with butter and lemon is my go to. I also love sautéed spinach with butter, coconut oil and lots and lots of garlic. Those are all delicious and healthy...

I’ve never heard of someone refer to it as the SAD diet ...standard American diet lol sounds appropriate
Chessgirl