We have always responded that whilst we strongly agree on the importance of research, we do not have the staff required to vet studies or investigators. Therefore, we had a uniform policy of not allowing investigators to use our site to recruit study participants.
However we are supportive of responsible research into trauma related issues so, with this in mind, have decided that members should have the opportunity to participate in a study if they so choose.
Since our primary concern is with the safety and comfort of our members, researchers will be required to satisfy us on the following points before we consider allowing them to request your participation:
- 1) A brief description of the study, including a description of the aims, methods, and the identity of the sponsoring institution/organization. As a rule, we will only consider distributing participation opportunities for studies that are affiliated with an academic institution or a non-profit research/advocacy/services organization.
2) A brief description of the lead investigator, and if the lead is a trainee, information about the individual who will be supervising the work.
3) A signed document asserting that the study has been reviewed and approved by an Institutional Review Board or Ethics Committee that can attest to compliance with human subjects protection standards.
4) Access to a web page that describes the study, or a copy of an information sheet that will be given to prospective participants.
5) The dates when enrolment will be opening and closing.
6) A description of how findings will be shared with participants and others.