Books I've Been Eating

An area for discussion of books or articles relating to abuse and healing that you've read or are currently reading.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

Castle

Books I've Been Eating

Post by Castle »

I've been devouring the literature. Here is a list of titles in no particular order, with notes on my takeaways. I hope you find them helpful. Happy New Year!

Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents - How to Heal from Distant, Rejecting, or Self-Involved Parents by Lindsay C. Gibson PsyD
Had a big 'aha' moment when the author described adult relational styles. This author came recommended by my ASCA group.

Brainwashing - The Science of Thought Control by Kathleen Taylor
Not a recovery book, per se, but a fascinating survey of psychological manipulation techniques, from the point of view of a neurologist.

Healing the Shame That Binds You by John Bradshaw
I'm still working on this one. He puts a name to the thing I've tried for so many years to understand.

Healing From Hidden Abuse by Shannon Thomas, LCSW
Written mostly for people involved in abusive adult relationships -- which was unfortunately the key to unlocking my own childhood abuse.

The Power Of Vulnerability by Brené Brown
As fluffy and mainstream as this title may seem, there is something subversive about who Brown has chosen for her target audience. I see her as a kind of disguised anti-abuse advocate.

Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving by Pete Walker
I've read some of the negative analysis here, so I'll have to go back and have another read. I found his description of toxic shame and self-abandonment pretty life-changing.

The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel Van der Kolk MD
A classic text that helped me better understand that lump of grey stuff inside my skull.

All my best,
Castle
Watercolor

Re: Books I've Been Eating

Post by Watercolor »

Good for you, Castle! Looks like you've been digging deep. That's quite a list. :)

An article online by Walker was massively helpful to me a few years ago about emotional flashbacks.

I like Van der Kolk, as well. I haven't finished the book, though.

Thanks for your post!
Castle

Post by Castle »

To be honest, many of these were audiobooks. It's a different experience, for sure, from reading a print book. All the same, there is something comforting about someone reading to you. :D
Castle

Post by Castle »

Oh gosh. How could I forget this one:

The Emotional Incest Syndrome by Patricia Love, Ed.D.
Watercolor

Post by Watercolor »

The audio approach sounds cool, Castle. I've never listened to a whole book but recently bought an audio version of a different genre. It's nice to hear that listening's been a good fit for you.
coconuts

Post by coconuts »

Interesting, I may look into some of those

I have read Walker and Van der Kolk. I've read a lot of quotes and seen excerpts from Brown. It always gives me food for thought. The Bradshaw book I've looked into but haven't read and the brainwashing book looks interesting. I've been trying to understand mind control more lately. Just to understand how my brain was manipulated and changed and controlled.
Be the Light 🌟 in someone's night.
quixote

Post by quixote »

Castle,
You have been quite busy!
All I have at home is The Courage To Heal that I picked up at a local flea market.
Who knows? I may try an audiobook. Thanks fro the recommendations.
quixote