A good starting point

An area for discussion of books or articles relating to abuse and healing that you've read or are currently reading.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

Movingforward

A good starting point

Post by Movingforward »

I know I'm quite late to reading "The courage to Love" book but I just got through the third survivors child abuse story at the end of the book. I just can't read anymore of them. I'm terrified to hear what some evil child molester has done to another innocent soul. I can't believe these survivors are still alive and kicking. They are definitely stronger than me. Even though I have decided that I am probably not going to finish the book, this book has helped me a lot. It helped me to:
-realize that what happened to me wasn't my fault and I didn't have to feel guilty about it anymore.
-know what happened to me definitely was child abuse.
-to not be scared of children so much & to be assured they don't all hate me.
-to cut my inner child some slack.
-to know that its ok to grieve about what you lost.
But in terms of other areas where I need change, the problems unfortunately still exist. I thought that the book would be all I needed to heal, but now I realize how unrealistic that was. I'm not quite sure what to do next. Read some more books, see a doctor? I'm not quite ready to go to a counselor because of past experiences. Any suggestions of what I should do in the meantime?
Xanthia

Re: A good starting point

Post by Xanthia »

Hi Moving Forward,

Great that you've discovered many positives; sadly, it's unlikely that one book shall hold all the answers.

Have you looked at resources area?
Perhaps searching specific symptoms on internet could be useful.

If you don't already know about mindfulness, DBT, relaxation ideas, Inner Child work, they are possible helpful topics.

Wish you well for your healing journey.

Post Script: which author wrote your copy of "The Courage to Love"? There are a few books with same title! Cheers.
Xanthia