Change for the better

An area for discussion of books or articles relating to abuse and healing that you've read or are currently reading.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

Shine

Change for the better

Post by Shine »

I've just ordered 'Change for the better: self help through practical psychotherapy' by Elizabeth Wild McCormick. It was recommended to me as an excellent self help book using a cognitive analytic therapy approach. I'll post here when I've worked through it to let you know how I get on. You can get a sample of the first chapter on amazon
WMich1281

Re: Change for the better

Post by WMich1281 »

Thanks for sharing! I'll look for that. :D
Last edited by Jonesy on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT - please help us out by paying attention to triggers
Shine

Post by Shine »

This book is really good - it takes you on a journey and it feels as though the author is speaking with you as you work through as a therapist. There are lots of good exercises to encourage healing at a deeper level other than just strategies to deal with the here and now (although there are those too). Encouraged by this Ive started working with a cognitive analytic therapist and it really has helped me shift things to another level. It also feels like a book you can dip in and out of and revisit at different times. Highly recommended. The first chapter is still free on Amazon.
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Thank you for this thread, Shine! I just got the kindle ebook yesterday, and I am loving this book! Someone on another thread wrote about Cognitive Analytic Therapy, so I googled it and found this book on Amazon. I've been practicing mindfulness meditation and self-compassion/loving-kindness for awhile now, and this book fits right in. The first chapter is so encouraging and uplifting. I'm looking forward to working with her material! So grateful for all our sharing here at isurvive.