Beverly Engel books

An area for discussion of books or articles relating to abuse and healing that you've read or are currently reading.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

Fleur

Beverly Engel books

Post by Fleur »

Beverly Engel has written a few books plus helpful website

Currently reading "the emotionally abusive relationship" ISBN 0-471-21297-0 John Wiley and Sons, 2002

Author suggests both partners could benefit from Reading and Putting work into chapter exercises

If single, there are clues and hints, questions to ask, topics to ponder regarding any past and future relationships

Especially important for Survivors as we tend to not" see" the whole person, and for those who cannot "read" people accurately

There are checklists forBEFORE the madness of falling and being in love descends, use your logical, rational self to either avoid (perhaps yet more) mistakes - or at least understand yourself as well as potential partner prior to forming an alliance, or "third party", for which other checklists apply

There are scientific/medical terms explained plus her slant from counselling experience for possible reasons humanity repeats behaviour as couples

I like how Ms Engel states we are all responsible adults, even when there mitigating circumstances; excluding people who are incapacitated, everyone chooses actions, words

This book is written as though the reader is experiencing therapy

With limitation of print, a person could use this book to clarify issues whether or not they have a therapist to assist

In the back of the book are contact details for not only the author but also various useful chat and websites

Each chapter recommends at least one film which illustrates the point being discussed

There are many "further reading" books listed as well as references cited

Some chapters are heavy going; i think some topics would require several in reality counselling sessions, so i agree with the author: go at own pace

Ideally, this would be a work book in that exercises and recording, contracts plus monitoring behaviour - self and/or partner's - to celebrate changes, note what helped, made things worse or required modifying

Beverly Engel lives in California
Onward to a safe community for all people in which to thrive ~ gentle hugs [if okay] ~ Fleur
hummingbird

Re: Beverly Engel books

Post by hummingbird »

fleur, thank you for your post about Beverly Engel and her book.

She has a new one coming out in January, 2015, titled "It Wasn't Your Fault: Freeing Yourself from the Shame of Childhood Abuse with the Power of Self-Compassion."

I'm eagerly awaiting her new book because self-compassion practice has been so helpful for me during the last year.

She has a blog that can be accessed on the Psychology Today website called the Compassion Chronicles.
Fleur

Re: Beverly Engel books

Post by Fleur »

Thanks Hummingbird

I usually use Library books
Think it could be helpful to purchase and use this one on emotionally abusive relationships

Might Suggest Library buy her new book
Sounds Interesting

Pleased for you that self-compassion helps you

Thank you for sharing her blog details

Wish you well
Onward to a safe community for all people in which to thrive ~ gentle hugs [if okay] ~ Fleur