Stockholm Syndrome

An area for discussion of books or articles relating to abuse and healing that you've read or are currently reading.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

Jitterbug

Stockholm Syndrome

Post by Jitterbug »

Can anyone suggest a good book exploring this issue in relation to CSA?

I am so struggling with my relationship to my abuser(s) & right now feel if he were to die I would want to throw myself into the grave & be buried there with him. I think this is because I feel so bound to him, that the things we "shared" were so profound & huge and I can't extricate myself from him. I feel he destroyed me, but in some way we are now "one" on some level & his evilness is inside me...I also feel he isn't evil, but I am....I feel compassion for him, but not for myself & having talked this through with my T & some friends am wondering if the Stockholm syndrome may apply to me...

Agitated, confused & floundering Jitterbug..

Anyone able to help??
facingmytruth

Re: Stockholm Syndrome

Post by facingmytruth »

I'm sorry I don't know of any books ,hope someone else can help with that.wanted you to know I hear you tho and am listening.
Jitterbug

Post by Jitterbug »

Thank you, FacingMyTruth

Feel so ashamed of how I feel. Know it is so twisted, but until can face this no chance ever of breaking the self destruct stuff, so have to admit it here.

Thanks again.

Jitterbug
facingmytruth

Post by facingmytruth »

Hiya just wanted to say that you have every right to feel what you feel,you have nothing to feel ashamed about by I understand that these feelings can feel overwhelming at times,listening as you work through this.
muddled

Post by muddled »

I don't know if would be what looking for but there is a book called Blind to Betrayal Why We Fool Ourselves We Aren't being fooled by Jennifer Freyd and Pamela Birrell

It talked about how people that are in abusive relationship don't or can't see it because we can't be dependent on them for care and accept the abuse talked about people in domestic violence why they don't leave. That people do know on some level but can't acknowledge it the mind can be so fast they can't acknowledge since in such a state of denial not that doing it on purpose. (It is know on subconscious level.) It says that reality is distorted so that a person can survive. We do it to survive and keep ourselves safe. But can also be more likely to abused again since don't realize the signs. It doesn't have to be abuse can be discrimination or just injustices. Can even be injustices by government.

I don't know if would be of any help the library might have a copy.

The Jennifer Freyd is somebody who went public as accusing her father of sexual abuse that her parents said was false memory.

Sorry if not at all what looking for and then please just ignore.
Jitterbug

Post by Jitterbug »

That's really helpful, thank you! I feel as if I know these things but cannot apply it to myself so really hoping reading about it somewhere will get it through to me on that personal, applied to me type way... You know?

Thanks to you both for your replies. Much appreciated..

Jitterbug