TED Talks

An area for discussion of books or articles relating to abuse and healing that you've read or are currently reading.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

dancingfish

Re: TED Talks

Post by dancingfish »

Oh, how intriguing Crow. :) Thanks for sharing!

I have known a few folks who like the heavier music, but rather than mirroring the, hm, strength of emotion found in it, they seem to enjoy it - find it soothing, even - while remaining remarkably kind-hearted folks too (some of the least angry I've known). It's something I've pondered on and off over the years. I remember asking a friend why they liked their particular heavy metal flavour many years back, and the answer was they found the music "glorious" and uplifting. I could see that.

Personally I find the vocals often too "shouty" to care for it too much, and the loud noises can be a bit too alarming, etc. The phrase "aggressive music" is a good one - I find the aggression alarming rather than having benefits for me though. (Although I'm still processing anger so who knows - maybe this is a stage I'll yet reach. :) ) This is another fascinating aspect of music to learn about though, thanks Crow!
Crow

Post by Crow »

Hi dancingfish,
dancingfish wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:31 am they seem to enjoy it - find it soothing, even - while remaining remarkably kind-hearted folks too (some of the least angry I've known). It's something I've pondered on and off over the years. I remember asking a friend why they liked their particular heavy metal flavour many years back, and the answer was they found the music "glorious" and uplifting.
Ha, you have pretty much described me! :lol:
dancingfish wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:31 amI find the aggression alarming rather than having benefits for me though. (Although I'm still processing anger so who knows - maybe this is a stage I'll yet reach. :) )
That is a point that is raised in the study that I linked to, in that the benefits of listening to metal only seems to be there for those who already listen to and enjoy it... people who don't enjoy that style of music are likely to find no benefit, and indeed may feel worse for it.

Glad you found it interesting though. :)

Crow
A little boy hides in an adult's disguise.
Quote taken from an original poem that I have written.
Crow

Post by Crow »

I know this isn't a TED talk, but just to follow on from my last post here, and subsequent discussion, I thought this may be of interest...

www dot thelancet dot com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(20)30558-7/fulltext

It's another metal and mental health article.
That'll do now as I don't want to pull this off topic. :)

Crow
A little boy hides in an adult's disguise.
Quote taken from an original poem that I have written.
sadsecrets

Post by sadsecrets »

I watched this one a little while back, and found it interesting.

https://www.ted.com/talks/nadine_burke_ ... anguage=en

Childhood trauma isn’t something you just get over as you grow up. Pediatrician Nadine Burke Harris explains that the repeated stress of abuse, neglect and parents struggling with mental health or substance abuse issues has real, tangible effects on the development of the brain. This unfolds across a lifetime, to the point where those who’ve experienced high levels of trauma are at triple the risk for heart disease and lung cancer. An impassioned plea for pediatric medicine to confront the prevention and treatment of trauma, head-on.