Supporting my Sibling

A discussion area for anyone who loves a survivor and needs some support of their own.

Moderators: Aspen, Jonesy, Harbor

Progress

Supporting my Sibling

Post by Progress »

I just want to say that as a survivor who is early in my recovery I wasn’t sure how to support one of my siblings who is struggling.

They have always had anxiety which has recently gotten much worse ever since I discovered and disclosed my childhood abuse.

They have found personal and career success in spite of the mental health challenges, but always self-medicated the anxiety with exercise, alcohol, and substances.

Lately, their symptoms have gone through the roof, and they’ve taken to extreme levels of drinking and substance abuse. They just had their first memory surface as well, which was of course extremely confusing and painful.

But they just took the huge courageous step of admitting the substance problems to their spouse.

I was confused about how to support them - will I say too little? Will I say too much? And then I thought, well duh, think about everything I’ve been reading on this site. Think about what has helped me. Think about how the people on this site support each other. And apply it to my sibling.

Thank you isurvive so much for showing me the right words. I texted my sibling with my support, and they responded immediately “I’m not crying, you’re crying” and also their gratitude.

I am supported in so many ways on this site. Thanks to all.
Progress
Watercolor

Re: Supporting my Sibling

Post by Watercolor »

They are very fortunate to have you, Progress! You are and will continue to be understanding and no doubt a strength to them!

I'm very sorry for their addictions and now having escalating symptoms. Sounds like symptoms are going right off the charts at the moment. Disclosing the substance use to spouse is big--really excellent news for that to not remain lurking in the dark. Your presence, I have no doubt, will make a tremendous difference for them. Hope the sibling will also help you feel less alone in your own journey.

Thinking of you and your family.
the husband

Post by the husband »

Hi Progress

You may be early in your recovery, but it sounds like you have the tools that will help you in your journey. Your sibling sounds like they are taking the big steps as well.
Aspen

Post by Aspen »

Sounds like you've got a good start. You're not alone. Here with support.

Aspen
Progress

Post by Progress »

Watercolor, the husband, and Aspen,

My apologies for not saying thank you yet for your support.
Your kindness and understanding and encouragement keeps me afloat.
Progress
Watercolor

Post by Watercolor »

i hope you're having a gentle week, Progress.