Life of There: 2020

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

there

Re: Life of There: 2020

Post by there »

coconuts and Watercolor,

6 hours straight is good for me, considering the past month. Got 2+ hours more. It helps.

Journaling 20 minutes then mantra meditation is new tactic. Did that,then walked Tula in 50 degree weather. Crazy warm January.

Did 25 minutes drawing. Yay.

Sometimes I really feel more like my old self before the adulthood calamities. Not that I think I’m in high school again, but I feel in touch with part of myself that didn’t bear these crushing burdens. I believe it’s called ‘remembered wellness’. Has happened before. Kind of like a clearing in the woods!?

Teaching this afternoon. Hope a loyal student and her friend come back again. Last week they showed up, and it was so nice to see them again after a few months’ absence.

So glad we can be here at isurvive and share our concerns and support.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
coconuts

Post by coconuts »

Ah my magic sleep number is 7. But I understand when it gets to a point that even less if good considering recent trends.

Yay for journalling and walking and your meditation.

Yesterday at staff meeting our social worker on staff handed out self care calendars. I decided to do it. Today's exercise was to write down your self care goals for 2020.

Here is what I decided
1) do the calendar
2) think of one positive thing that happened every day.
3) read a book for pleasure every day
4) use my meditation app regularly ( hopefully daily)
Be the Light 🌟 in someone's night.
Watercolor

Post by Watercolor »

Experiencing that stronger you, the clearing in the wood sensation, sounds like a real blessing.

Kudos on reaching for good things as self care. Nice that you found time to draw and I know Tula enjoyed your outing with her.

I'm grateful for this space and being able to connect here, as well.

Hope you get above 6 hours tonight!
there

Post by there »

Oh, thanks so much, coconuts and Watercolor,
It is so comforting to see your posts and to know you care in the special way we can here.

Drawing yesterday morning feels like a year ago! Last evening, I tried, but a drawing is now at a persnickety point. Digital art is amazing, but has its limitations, too. For instance, when you paint or draw in 3D, you can work large. The physical sweeping of your arm is a real part of the feel of it, and probably better for your health than working on a tablet.

But still grateful that Ican do it. Came home from teaching yesterday and couldn’t locate ipad right away. Really considered what losing some of my digital art would mean. Need to back it all up soon.

Class was a lot of fun yesterday. Kids returned whom I hadn’t seen for a year. Lots of laughter, imagination flowing.

I did about 15 minutes of sitting meditation yesterday, guided by Pema Chodron. Then before bed, I did my 13 minute qigong routine. Feel better this morning.

Also, making the effort to to implement sleep hygiene steps from doc. Getting up when I wake up...took a few minutes today, but did 2 days in a row. I really think it’s making a difference in greeting to sleep at a better hour. Fingers crossed.

Going to chiropractor today. Seeing my old one, cuz the new one was rude and kinda mean. Now there’s a direct bus to the old doctor’s area.

Thinking of you both, and sending my wishes for a better day.
Watercolor

Post by Watercolor »

Hi there,

I'm imagining the joy at the kids' return. Nice!

Great work on the on-ramp and off-ramp for sleep. :)

I would think some of the tangible aspects of arting go missing with digital, yet there must be some really cool effects when you use your ipad. Cool that you use both!

Hope the chiro appointment is all you need it to be and that getting there is smooth. I'd be avoiding Dr. Mean, too, yikes!
there

Post by there »

Hi, Watercolor, thinking of you, too, hoping you feel supported here.

Did my journaling, then mantra, then tried a 10-minute tonglen meditation. Tonglen is intense, as I found out. Not sure I’ll do that one again soon. Last night, I did a mindfulness one, and felt better even this morning.

Whiny puppy. Have appt. for chiro today. Will involve new workup, costs. I’ll handle it.

Wish I could give you a real hug, Watercolor.
Noname

Post by Noname »

Hi, there. Reading along. Glad your class was fun, and that you are making time for meditation and qigong. Self-care is important, and it sounds like you're rocking it. Hope your chiropractor appointment is helpful and costs aren't too much. Thinking of you.
coconuts

Post by coconuts »

Hoping chiropractor appointment went well a d new patient fees aren't too much. Definitely hope s/he is worth the extra cost and not rude.

Looks like you are learning which meditations to like and which you don't jive with.

I like the on and off ramp to sleep concept. Being gentle with yourself both ways.

Sending support.
Be the Light 🌟 in someone's night.
Watercolor

Post by Watercolor »

G' morning, there!

Thank you so much for your kindness. Yes, people have been lovely and warm. And I really appreciate your thought of a hug.

Did the chiro treatment help, or can you tell yet? Hope it was good to see them again.

It sounds like you have a variety pack of approaches with meditation. Nice that you can choose what you may feel drawn to on a given day.

Planning to rekindle the practice of journaling myself. It's been awhile here and having you mention it gives me a smile and reminder. Thank you.

Hoping your day has some good high points!
there

Post by there »

Hi, Noname, coconuts, and Watercolor,
Sunny and frigid here. Friend took little Tula out for me.

I rescheduled chiro appt. for zmonday. Was really tired and had little incentive to go out in the deepening cold. I’ve known Dr. for a long time. He’s almost always been really nice.

On and off ramp to Slumberville... Did get to sleep late—1 a.m. Nap earlier when I dozed off...zzzz. But up by 9:30—pretty good for me.
Getting myself out of bed on waking— can be an effort but I think it’s going to help in the long run.

Mostly finished persnickety drawing. Yes, digital art has many very cool effects, and it’s fun discovering them.

Really winter here, minus the snow.

Thanks so much for reading and adding here. You all mean a lot to me.