REISHA 2017 (the journey continues...)

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

1000miles

Re: REISHA 2017 (the journey continues...)

Post by 1000miles »

Hi Reisha, Fleur,

I've spent time around people who speak of being blessed, and I've used that kind of wording myself at times. I don't tend to use it much now, because these days it seems to have a "churchy" feeling that I don't particularly like.

But in my experience, when people have said that, I think what they were trying to express was the same basic thing as "grateful" or "thankful." Suppose I'm grateful for the fact that I haven't been in the path of any hurricanes this year. To whom am I grateful? As one who believes in a higher power, I feel gratitude toward that higher power. I feel that my life and safety are gifts from that higher power. If I say I've been "blessed with safe weather," that's just another way of saying the same thing.

For whatever it's worth, I think this is a way that some people are accustomed to expressing feelings like that, and the general intent is to be humble. People say they are "blessed" with good health, a good job, a good family, good circumstances in life. They mean to say they feel fortunate to have those things, and they don't take credit for having them. They give credit to a higher power instead.

I know it's a manner of speaking that has been abused by televangelists and such, and it has acquired negative connotations. It can feel hypocritical, or like bragging in the guise of humility (". . . oh, I'm just so blessed to have a twenty-million-dollar mansion and a large collection of classic cars in my own personal multilevel parking garage . . ."). I get that. I just wanted to say that there are many people who use the word in a neutral way to express the idea of good fortune in the context of their theistic worldview. There's a long history of its use that way. For example: “Mr. Wickham is blessed with such happy manners as may ensure his making friends--whether he may be equally capable of retaining them is less certain.” (Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice, first published in 1813.)

I don't mean to be argumentative, just to offer another perspective. Thanks for listening.

1000miles
reisha

Post by reisha »

1000 miles - no, i dont take yer reply as argumentative, im glad to see ya here! &, i get that folx ~mean~ thankful, or grateful.
see, thing is, words DO matter. & while i cant *expect* everyone to know my quirks, herstory, etc, linguistics has long been a love of mine. i spose its all about how ya define (yer use of) the word(s). most folx dont speak well, despite an often verbose vocabulary.
as to yer 'defense' or perspective, i get that too - for far to long, i hadda prob w/ the word 'god'. i would inwardly cringe. but i get that they ~mean~ higher power, or Multiverse, or .... a thing OUTSIDE of themselves. for the most part, im now over 'god', altho i prefer 'gawd' as far as spelling goes. the whole things difficult, cuz Its All abstract representations that *only* work when folx agree on the meanings. IRL, my (better) friends & i will often stop a convo, to define terms. yes, it can be tedious at times, but in the long run, it makes for deeper, more accurate intimacy & understanding.

fluer - im so glad sum-a what i wrote resonated, ~put a litebulb over yer haid~ - ya put one ove mine, when ya wrote 'i feel inferior' - wow! dingDingDING!!!! thank ya for that, it put a missin piece in place for me
reisha

Post by reisha »

linguini rant part 2:
it has occured t' me that ' i HAFTA......' is kinda <wirst-2-4-haids, get the Fainting (psyche) Couch...> 'victim language'. im working/playing - AKA 'plurking' (workin too hard for it to be 'play', yet playin too hard for it bo be called 'work') w/ this idea, & re-phrasin my statements w/out 'i hafta'. novel concept, kinda hard atm!.
i dont see it that way as much w/ written word, butt!! to HEAR it, its usually inna sumwhat 'whiney' voice, in contexts of larger "po' me" moments.
just my own observation, ymmv, off course! ;)
Last edited by Serenity on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Dear Reisha

Words are powerful - someone once commented that putting the 's' at the start makes 'sword'

"I have to " could be rephrased as "I want to" - some things might NEED to be done, whether or not we want to do them, but some times "I want" is enough to change my thinking, as in "do I REALLY want ...?"

Current homework is to tell myself "I deserve ..." It is very difficult when I'm so used to negativity

Caring hugs
Onward to a safe community for all people in which to thrive ~ gentle hugs [if okay] ~ Fleur
there

Post by there »

Reisha, totally get the 'I hafta' and maybe changing it to a more helpful phrase. Have been working on that.
Maybe beng grateful can come into play, as I see right now. Maybe I can be grateful that I can do whatever the demand is. Or even, 'I get to...'
'I get to walk outside in fresh air while I take out the recycling'. Lol :)
It does feel less like punishment when I can do that. Just my experience.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.