Medication

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

Chessgirl

Medication

Post by Chessgirl »

Has anyone had any luck with taking seroquel for anxiety, depression and insomnia? I heard I can even take that med while pregnant and it’s safe. My husband said he took seroquel (I’m spelling it wrong I think) and it took away all his emotions, like he was never happy but never sad just emotionless. I really don’t want anything like that but I’m not getting any sleep and have been having panic attacks. As an alcoholic, I understand I can’t take anything like Xanax which is what I used to take. It worked perfect for a panic attack because it was fast acting and it took the panic completely away. I am really desperate and feeling hopeless I won’t find a non narcotic anxiety medication that works. Any experiences with this, I’d love to hear of.
Chessgirl
greendreamdays

Re: Medication

Post by greendreamdays »

Hi Chessgirl,

I think especially when it comes to prescription meds like Seroquel everyone's biochemistry reacts differently. What is a nightmare med with all kinds of side effects for one person can be life saving with little to no side effects for another. Seroquel is marketed as treating anxiety, depression, and sleep all at once because it can have that effect but it is also an anti-psychotic medication which tends to have lots of side effects. And if you don't have psychosis, the risks and side effects may outweigh the benefits of taking it. There are a lot of non-narcotic, non addictive options. It won't be the same as a benzodiazepine like Xanax, but it can helping things be more manageable.

You probably already know this so sorry for this eyeroll comment but I think your best bet is to ask a doctor for prescription or over the counter med recommendations if that is what you are wanting. There are a lot of options for non-narcotics for anxiety. There could also be underlying conditions like vitamin deficiencies that could be relevant especially in the context of pregnancy that can increase anxiety and depression which can make insomnia worse.

Some docs prescribe beta-blockers in very low doses, they are non-addictive medications that lower heart rate but are used for anxiety because often anxiety begins as sensations as the body which then the mind creates explanations for, cue rabbit hole and panic attacks. But by reducing or eliminating the physical anxious sensations in the body, it reduces anxious dialogue in the brain, hence less anxiety, or at least something more manageable. This is why muscle relaxants are also sometimes used.

You may want to consider/research/ask your doc about taking a magnesium supplement before bed. It won't put you to sleep but it helps your body relax.

I am taking a pharmacology class right now so I find this very relevant! As much as I don't want to step on any ethical boundaries I feel no shame in providing information that a google search could give you but all in one convenient place :) . But of course talking with a doctor or pharmacist can give you more relevant and safe information based on your situation. Hang in there!

There are also lots of non-medication options too that might seem like they don't make a difference but can help take the edge off especially with consistency. I am sure there are a lot of people who would love to comment what non-med things help their anxiety.

I know I can't really give you exactly what you are needing. I know you have said the last few posts you have seen that you are feeling really desperate and having a really hard time. Please come back to the forum as much as you need you, rage at me in the comments how unhelpful this was if you want ;) I just want to make sure you are okay.
Chessgirl

Post by Chessgirl »

Thanks greendreamdays

Your reply was super helpful. I think I was once prescribed a beta blocker. It did just as you described, lowered my heart rate. Didn’t help with panic attacks but took the edge off my daily anxiety and eased the insomnia. Have you had experience taking the magnesium? That sounds like a helpful idea. Of course, I know cutting out sugar and coffee would help and I’ve also been told to exercise daily. I know there’s a lot I can do. I’m going to meet my doctor, but just don’t know when. Thanks again for all your input! I appreciate the help and direction so much!
Chessgirl
greendreamdays

Post by greendreamdays »

I am glad you found it helpful, I was beginning to think I said too much. I have used magnesium and I found it helpful to the point I stopped needing it. I am hesitant about recommending anything food-related. I think it's a good rule of thumb to eat foods that taste good and feel good for your body. It's true some people find that they feel best with less sweet or sugary food and the foods. But it's not true for everyone, and that is not the same as cutting sugar out entirely. Maybe you meant it in a different way but when people "cut out" foods they tend to binge on them later and then blame their willpower rather than the fact that the diet itself was nutritionally unbalanced. It's hard to go wrong with eating foods you enjoy and make you feel good.

I think of exercise along the same lines. When I am in tune with my body, the forms of exercise that I enjoy I do the most consistently because they make me feel good. It can feel really good to go on walks, biking, or whatever it is. Right now it's mostly just walking. If I enjoy it I'm more likely to be consistent even if some days it's just a short walk, or not at all.

It didn't used to work for me but the more I have refocused my attention on my breathing the more it has helped me be aware of when I'm holding my breath because of anxiety or other emotions I'm trying not to hold back. It seems like such a silly thing but honestly it has made a big difference.

Maybe this is a little more than what you are looking for, so if it's irrelevant or otherwise unwanted, feel free to disregard. I often find that my anxiety/depression/sleeplessness/ruminating thoughts/SI/SH really pick up steam when there is an emotion (or emotions) that I am avoiding. It has taken me a long time to come to this conclusion because I got so good with not feeling those things. And there were really good reasons I didn't want to feel them. As a result those emotions came out as anxiety, depression, and insomnia among other things. The more I built up my coping skills (through apps, books, therapy, articles, and just experimenting) the better I have gotten at recognizing an emotion I am trying to literally stop from feeling rather than letting it pass through. It literally makes my body hurt, and I lose all my energy and motivation for any plans I had that day. My body literally forces me to stop everything and take care of it and has an absolute tantrum when I try to ignore it and pretend those needs, emotions, or boundaries are not really there.

I have a lot of years of trauma and a lot of what I hold back is pain and sadness. It seems there is always more to feel but I started noticing that it changes. It doesn't stay the same all the time like I thought it would. When I let myself fully feel those things I find it is less and less intense over time and it frees me up to feel more positive emotions too. It's a continual process chipping away at the pain and sadness a bit like a glacier, but it's a life long skill. Only one way to eat and elephant, right? I just wish I had learned it as a kid. It would have saved me many years of heartache and confusion. I had no idea I was so unattuned to my feelings and needs and how absolutely essential it is that I listen to them because my quality life and mental health literally depend on it. Nobody ever told me that. I just suffered quietly for so long because I thought that was what everyone did.