Thanking someone from long ago

This is a safe area that discusses stories and experiences of a positive nature surrounding healing, for the abused and loved ones. This area is safe from triggering and explicit material.

Moderators: Harmony, ajei

Keith_03

Thanking someone from long ago

Post by Keith_03 »

I have recently come back in touch with a person who helped me greatly 30 years ago before
I could bring myself to admit what had happened to me growing up. I'd like to thank him and
tell him that the work he is doing now is important and helpful.

I really don't want to appear to be seeking any pity, and I also don't know how to thank him and how much
to let him know about why his help was critical then without relaying some of the context from my past.

What have others of you done to thank people who were sustaining to you?
Icarus

Re: Thanking someone from long ago

Post by Icarus »

I help my current T out with things as a way of giving something back to him for all he has done/doing for me. He runs his own centre that provides counselling, support services, a safe place for people to go for a cup of tea and he offers advice to disadvantaged and those in need. He is an amazing person who always puts others before himself and hardly draws a wage from his organnisation. I assist him with fundraisers, my partner and myself do food parcels for him to pass on, we provide items to be raffled off. I did a bungee jump for him to raise money, sell raffle tickets, promote fundraiser days and have recently begun to help him by applying for grants to extend the level of services his centre offers.

This is a small way I can go to giving something back and helping him out.

Icarus
We're tin hard, but we rattle when we're shaken.....

(Member since 31st May 2008. 503 previous posts)
Harmony
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harmony »

Dear Keith 03,

Most people who act kindly never even think of receiving the thanks. They do it because it feels good and right. Your offering of thanks will no doubt surprise and delight the person. Thanks to another is a wonderful gift not only for the receiver but also for you the giver.

Jump right out there and give some one a thank you no matter how simple or belated. Good on you!!

with support,
Harmon
Kat

Post by Kat »

I agree with Harmony.. and sometimes simple "you don't know how much your words (for example) long time ago has helped me during the years and I want to thank you for it now". Or something similar which would come out of your heart.
You choose how much information you want to share with him, you can always say straight forward that you can't specify how he helped you, but that it was so meaningful for you that you needed to say the words "thank you".

Kat