Vagus Nerve and Mind/Body, a whole new way to look at things.

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

EasyStreet

Vagus Nerve and Mind/Body, a whole new way to look at things.

Post by EasyStreet »

Hi all,

I mentioned this in another thread but I think it deserves your attention in case it can help even just a little bit. I searched the forums for "vagus" and just found a few scant references, I think someone was reading a book about it. You all may already be familiar with this. But news to me.

If you are interested in the actual workings of the mind body connection and want to figure out ways influence it more directly, I think you should google or YouTube search on "Vagus nerve". If you watch a few videos or podcasts you will get the idea. Much of it is very hard for me to understand. But i'm excited.

Lotsa hype but lotsa science too.(Youtube!) The cold shower and cold water on eyes methods are explained. Many other aspects of abuse and trauma can be examined in light of this theory for our mutual benefit, I think. The theory and science are helping me understand what happened to me less as a scared kid and more as a mammal who survived. Yes, mammal. The theory hinges on evolutionary change from reptile to mammal. Mammals developed a whole new way of self-regulating and the vagus nerve became enhanced.

Each time I was physically abused, I had the chance to experience a brush with "shutdown" mode. So that would be vagus disregulation, down to lizard mode to play dead. What I'm learning about is what all that means to me as a mammal and a human (naked monkey). I'm also learning that I have the mammalian enhancement that lets me interact with my viscera, heart, lungs, etc. to promote my general (body/mind) health. The first time I have seen the science to push me over the edge.

Thoughts?
EasyStreet
Thanks for being

(On this forum, in my tribe, chatting or not, prosper and thrive!)
Kenazandisaz

Re: Vagus Nerve and Mind/Body, a whole new way to look at things.

Post by Kenazandisaz »

If you are enjoying Porges' polyvagal theory you'll probably like Ogden's sensorimotor approach too.

Glad you are finding things that help you make sense of you.

K
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
EasyStreet

Post by EasyStreet »

Thanks, K, I’ll check that out.
EasyStreet
Thanks for being

there

Post by there »

You can help regulate your vagus nerve with a simple breathing technique. It's called rVNS-- respiratory vagal nerve stimulation.
Basically you inhale slowly through the nose, counting. Then you exhale through the mouth, doubling the account to extend the breath.

For instance, you breathe in for 4 counts, then breathe out for 8. When you do this for at least two minutes, it will regulate the vagal nerve and you'll feel relaxed. I do it a lot.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
EasyStreet

Post by EasyStreet »

Thank you, there! I know the breathing pattern and will try using it more. It's the long slow exhale, according to what I've read, that makes the difference.

Thanks! So many things that didn't make sense now suddenly crystallizing in meaning.
EasyStreet
Thanks for being

possum

Post by possum »

Hi EasyStreet,

it's great you're sharing this with everyone. For me it's always easier to practice something when I know why it helps :)
Last edited by Serenity on Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT as no triggering detail included
you will never speak to anyone more than you speak to yourself in your head, be kind to yourself.
EasyStreet

Post by EasyStreet »

Hi possum,

I'm a seasoned citizen (old) have not kept up with all these new concepts coming out of the last 30 plus years of research. So I'm like someone who just discovered water and wants to tell everyone how great it is to drink!

I hope K will join (edit, misspelled word) us here with any insights she has. Sounds like maybe a mixed review from her?

Anyway, I'm glad you have found it interesting and potentiallly helpful.

Be well!
EasyStreet
Thanks for being

EasyStreet

Post by EasyStreet »

Hi!

I started googling critiques of polyvagal theory and found some interesting articles. (all hard to read!)

Looks like some of Porges' "assumptions" about the neurophysiology may be unsupported. Lots of technical detail.

But even just as a metaphor, I'm still getting mileage from this and plan to get more.
EasyStreet
Thanks for being

Flifflo

Post by Flifflo »

Hey Easystreet,

I started reading Accessing the Healing Power of the Vagus Nerve a while ago. I put it down but think I’m ready to pick it back up. The science of it all is fascinating to me I like to understand what is happening too. I have been regularly doing the breathing and it really does help a lot. Especially when I wake up from a nightmare. Been using it more for daytime stressors too.

I get wanting to share and I appreciate you doing so.
Getting back to my book! :D
Flifflo
EasyStreet

Post by EasyStreet »

Hi Flifflo,

Let me know what you think of the book, if is worth reading. Thanks for joining in. Yes the breathing is really good. Does wonders when stressed.
EasyStreet
Thanks for being