Songs that make you feel (positive and negatively)

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

johnram

Songs that make you feel (positive and negatively)

Post by johnram »

A theme for me has been music helping me understand my feelings when i wasnt able to, the poetry cutting through me.

Thought i would list some songs, both positive and negative that have been part of my ongoing journey but also curious if others have the same, and what they are, i am partial to metal/rock but also some 70s:

Get Up Stand Up - Bob marley
He ain't heavy, he's my brother - the Hollies
Lean on me - Bill Withers
Look for the bear necessities - Jungle book
I wanna be like you - Jungle book

Unforgiven - Metallica
Fade to Black - Metallica
The Light - Disturbed
I Dont care - Apocalyptica
Dying - John Frusciante (and a lot of his solo catalogue)

(Actually writing it this way, made me realise maybe my connection to metal music needs to change, thought has come before, but happened again here)
Last edited by Jonesy on Fri May 24, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, as no triggering content
Booklover

Re: Songs that make you feel (positive and negatively)

Post by Booklover »

I have lots of different music really depends on my mood.

At moment really enjoying Philippa Hanna, some of my favourites of hers are Known (just released), Raggedy Doll and I’m amazing
I also like most of Cliff Richards stuff.

Other songs I have on fav playlist our
How great is our God
Surrounded
Happy Days
Amazing Grace (our chains are broken)

They are just the ones I can think of on top of my head. I find music helps lift my spirit.
Do have 1 song that I know will always make me cry so listen to it if I need a good cry and that is the wet wet wet version of Love is all around as was song from first dance of my wedding.
Booklover

I will become a survivor not a victim

Gentle (((((hugs))))) 🤗if ok
johnram

Post by johnram »

nice list, like some of those
johnram

Post by johnram »

sometimes i shouldnt post this stuff, decided to listen to a few of the songs, has me here crying
i like getting my emotions out, but sometimes, need to do stuff
Patsfan

Post by Patsfan »

I love to listen to music ,sometimes to drown out all the racing thoughts, or my to do.lists in my head :) And like yall some are very positive uplifting and I have a few that make me so sad.

Positive /uplifting
Superheros - the script
East to West -casting crowns
Fight song - Rachel platten
Learning -Kane Brown
Human -kristina perri

Sad
Clean -Natalie Grant

All in all music is such an amazing friend :) so many songs speak to you..quite amazing really ...sometimes I am like- who wrote this and how did they know ..lol !!
Peace,
Patsfan
Flifflo

Post by Flifflo »

Wow. This one had me thinking as I’m not sure I have many (if any) positive songs that move me. Not that I don’t like anything positive but I guess I tend to disbelieve those songs that are. They generally sound “corny” to me. I’ve always been much more about the dark/negative/hard sounds. Like, this really threw me for a loop.

When I was in high school my favorite band was Pink Floyd. Favorite song, “Comfortably numb”. Also anything from The Wall. Anything expressing alienation/anger. Any music with a hard sound, though generally not metal.
Anything Peter Gabriel
In college,
Primus (still a favorite). Playful, hard and amazing musicians.
Soundgarden, especially Badmotorfinger. THAT was a really good album.
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Janes Addiction
Rage Against the Machine

Lighter stuff now but still don’t gravitate towards generally positive stuff. Never did. Guess I’ve been a cynic for a while. Sorry I don’t have much in the way of positive. It’s a revelation for me. Didn’t realize that until now. Interesting. , Flifflo
Flifflo

Post by Flifflo »

I also listen to music to drown other stuff out. I’ll probably have hearing loss because I have played it so loud. To drown stuff out.
johnram

Post by johnram »

Flifflo wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:56 amLighter stuff now but still don’t gravitate towards generally positive stuff. Never did. Guess I’ve been a cynic for a while. Sorry I don’t have much in the way of positive. It’s a revelation for me. Didn’t realize that until now. Interesting.
thanks for sharing, Soundgarden, RHCP, RATM are some of my favourites too

i listened to this music for years not knowing why, or ever questioning it, but think it really spoke to my pain that i didnt understand but my body and deep consciousness did - sounds like you may have been similar in that regard Flifflo?

is some of Peter Gabriel and RHCP music not positive?
Last edited by Jonesy on Sat May 25, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Shortened quote, as per guidelines
Flifflo

Post by Flifflo »

Perhaps there is some positive. Tho I’ve always thought of Peter Gabriel as a person who has had a lot of sadness. It’s so obvious but the song that has been in my head since starting EMDR, “Digging in the Dirt”. First RHCP song I thought of this morning? “Breaking the Girl”.

A couple of times I’ve had to move to another state without much warning, for work. Song in my head then was Missing Persons “Destination Unknown”. That one has come into my head recently too.

I’m sure there’s some positive stuff I like, I guess. I’ll have to think more. It just doesn’t come to mind. Maybe it’s my current state of mind while processing stuff. RHCP are certainly playful but hard and I’m drawn to that. When I started dating my husband (who is a Deadhead) he told me my music was dark. I guess it was! Sometimes when I’m alone I play it all really loud which I always did. Drowns stuff out, I guess. Thanks for thread Johnram

I guess I play happy music with my kids. We danced when they were little. Don’t ask me what. Top 40’s probably.
EasyStreet

Post by EasyStreet »

Didn't post here before because I'm a huge music/lyric fan and could write volume.

But have been compelled to share "Behind Blue Eyes" by the Who. Read the lyrics if interested.

And I really use music to drown stuff out. Always have. Currently Irish/Celtic Punk blasting real loud.

The Stanfields, "Fight Song".

Watch the Stanfields video "Ship to Shore" and you can see where my head has been for along time. Watch the little boy.
EasyStreet
Thanks for being

(On this forum, in my tribe, chatting or not, prosper and thrive!)