Wim Hof methods - anyone used, thoughts?

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

ephes

Re: Wim Hof methods - anyone used, thoughts?

Post by ephes »

EasyStreet wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:18 pm Hi!

Took the shower! I am such a wimp (that’s wimp, not wim).

15 lousy seconds was all I could do! I was yelling and laughing as I counted.

Was.. was that a dad joke:)?

Ok johnram and easystreet, you make the shower sound potentially helpful and even fun. Maybe I'll try. Actually I'm used to and don't mind cold. May as well give it a try for therapeutic purposes, though in the past I've associated it more with rewarding physical activities, fun or admiring beautiful nature.
There's this event, a swimming "competition" in winter, depending on the water it can be between 4 - 12 °C. It's not so much about how fast you swim but to participate and have fun. I did participate 2 or 3 times a long time ago and I did like it (after 2 minutes the skin is anesthesised and you just need to take care of even breathing and gradual muscle work so they don't cramp up), then you get out of the water and people are standing shivering in their winter coats while you just casually climb out of the water in your bikini and don't even feel the cold anymore and the only small pain is the naked feet walking on concrete. It's quite a rush and feels good. Then properly warm up of course. We went to "train" for it a few times before that, though the only thing I managed to train was not hesitating before jumping in (hesitating makes the impact worse). I've been known to spontaneously jump into ice cold mountain lakes while hiking and swim around for 3 or 4 minutes. Very refreshing and warming up quickly if you get moving afterwards straight away. I used to like doing stuff like that just for the hell of it, I used to like pushing my physical boundaries, but somewhere along the way I lost the spark.

You know what I have no excuse. There's a beautiful lake with clean waters 20 min walk from here, with facilities to take a (reasonably warm) shower afterwards and a sauna, all of it not very classy but convenient enough, and it doesn't cost much. The water is currently at 10°C, which is enough for the adrenaline rush. If I take the non bumpy backpack I can slow jog back home to warm up.
I think I'm too weak to regularly do the shower thing right now, because it's so easy to just turn the water to warm again. But if I go down to the lake I can't just walk up again without having done it. And once I'm in I can't just go straight out again, it'll have to be a couple of minutes. Maybe doing this once today will kickstart my day into being just a bit different than the other sad days.

Will report back if the bottom line was more anxiety or more benefit.
johnram

Post by johnram »

Ephes - where are you based? i get sense we are both in the UK (I am in London)

I will reply fuller later
johnram

Post by johnram »

johnram wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:52 am Ephes - where are you based? i get sense we are both in the UK (I am in London)

I will reply fuller later
sorry if too personal, ignore me
ephes

Post by ephes »

Hello johnram
There's a person I'm afraid of. It is highly unlikely, but not impossible that he is on this forum because he was abused as child and became an abuser himself. Don't get me wrong I think it's good that this site also provides a platform for abusers. And even if it didn't do so openly, anyone can be here, as it should be.
At the same time this one person or others who know me well could totally piece together that this is me talking with the information I provided already on here. With every bit of personal information I give I get more anxiety posting here. This pushes my social boundaries which really need pushing so it's all good as long as I carefully select what to share.
I can send you a private message, actually there's one of your other posts I wanted to respond to but decided against it because it would provide too much identifiable information.
ephes

Post by ephes »

I can't find an option to contact you via private message.
Theres an option under User control panel - Board preferences where you can click yes or no to receiving private messages. Maybe you have that on "no"?
EasyStreet

Post by EasyStreet »

Ephes: LOL. Yes, Dad joke, dad bod, that’s me!😀

Totally agree that jumping in is easier than trying not to turn the faucet back to warm.

But the question for me is, will I do it again today?

Be well, Johnram and Ephes!
EasyStreet
Thanks for being

(On this forum, in my tribe, chatting or not, prosper and thrive!)
johnram

Post by johnram »

ephes wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:30 am I can't find an option to contact you via private message.
Theres an option under User control panel - Board preferences where you can click yes or no to receiving private messages. Maybe you have that on "no"?
i have it turned on, but looked through the FAQ and it may be turned off generally

its fine, i have anonymity needs also, so lets not stress it
johnram

Post by johnram »

EasyStreet wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:49 pm Ephes: LOL. Yes, Dad joke, dad bod, that’s me!😀

Totally agree that jumping in is easier than trying not to turn the faucet back to warm.

But the question for me is, will I do it again today?

Be well, Johnram and Ephes!
thats interesting, my experience is different. i find it harder to get in, but once i am in and settle the head, i am fine

Wishing you well Easystreet, appreciate you have a lot going on just now
johnram

Post by johnram »

ephes wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:25 am actually there's one of your other posts I wanted to respond to but decided against it because it would provide too much identifiable information.
thank you, but its not worth that
EasyStreet

Post by EasyStreet »

Hi:

Lost my earlier response, but was able to do 30 seconds today, that's progress!
EasyStreet
Thanks for being

(On this forum, in my tribe, chatting or not, prosper and thrive!)