Crisis Lines?

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

solana

Crisis Lines?

Post by solana »

has anyone here ever actually called one? specifically, the national suicide prevention line for the U.S.?

i'm curious about what to expect, beyond what they tell you in the FAQ section of their website. i swear i read before that they would notify the authorities if they felt the caller was at risk of suicide, but I've just read through every page of their website and can't find it anymore.

anyone know for sure if that's something they do? and if so, what exactly would have to be said in order for them to make that decision? i imagine, with it being a suicide hotline and all, that the majority of the callers are probably having suicidal thoughts. surely they don't go around calling the authorities on every single one. so, where is that line? what is safe to say, and what isn't?
You are stronger than you know.
Genesis

Re: Crisis Lines?

Post by Genesis »

I have called. I had one experience where the person answered and we were instantly disconnected. The second time, someone answered and said a few words to me and then “goodbye”. It was bizarre. I’ve never used the National hotline again after this. My therapist called the National one and our local one and both said that they used methods to notify authorities in necessary cases. There is a way to block your phone number before making the call but I can’t recall what it is.

Where I live, we have a local crisis center that offers the same service as the National line and offers a mobile team. I found this to be way more helpful. Try looking up your largest, nearest facility to see if this is offered. I was surprised with how suicidal I could be without causing panic on the other end of the phone. I think unless you are saying you are going to kill yourself in that moment, they are willing to talk you through it. I’ve had a similar good experience with the RAINN online chat (if you are willing to wait HOURS online to chat).

I’m embarrassed that I’ve needed these resources so frequently. *facepalm*

I hope this information is helpful to you. I have to ask, though, Are you ok?
~ Genesis 💔
solana

Re: Crisis Lines?

Post by solana »

thank you, Genesis.

this is helpful, and i am ok.
You are stronger than you know.