Introducing myself

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

lilypod

Introducing myself

Post by lilypod »

Hello, call me just by my username, if ya don't mind :) I use they/he pronouns.

I figured I'd say hello and introduce myself. I saw the post about belonging here, pinned to this board, after roughly an hour of debating whether I should even post at all, and I felt encouraged so I figured I should give it a try at least.

I suppose I'd eventually like to talk about my story in more detail and get some support around that, but for now I'll remain fairly unspecific with details... This forum feels like a safe place, so I will say this. I recently fled my domestic abuse situation, and, my abuser was also the individual who was my primary sexual abuser throughout childhood. It feels so distant to even say that. I want to pin down a date for starting my recovery, and I really think it was, technically last Wednesday in therapy with my T. Cos that's what truly kicked everything off within me. I've had memories of things for a while (which is why I fled months ago) and I've been in denial and avoidant of facing it ever since, but, now I'm in a space where it can't be ignored anymore (though I know the value of pacing myself and giving myself room to breathe while processing)

Still, I'd like to name today as my official "Start of recovery" date. Because I'm reaching out here, to everyone, to other survivors, and I have appointments with my mental health team today, where I'm going to ask for support groups and other resources... It feels like a big step to write here. It feels scary. But hopeful, I think. I only name a date because I want a happy anniversary to look back on someday, to be able to look back in a year and see how far I've come, because even if things aren't great in a year it's a sure thing I'll have made some progress either way.

The last couple days I've been stuck in a cycle of apathy and depression and stuck in memories and such, and I'm hoping to support myself through it as well as find some support here.

Please let me know if I should change my trigger indicator at all!
Lilypod
Last edited by Jonesy on Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, as no triggering detail
"There is no nobility in suffering" // DID. OCD. 23. all that rhymes, then we have: She/They pronouns please.
Jonesy
Director
Director

Re: Introducing myself

Post by Jonesy »

Hi lilypod

A very warm welcome to our wee corner of the internet and 'Happy Start of Recovery' to you.
lilypod wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:11 pm ... now I'm in a space where it can't be ignored anymore...
Lots of us will empathise with that, you're in just the right place ;)
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
lilypod

Post by lilypod »

Jonesy wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:04 pm Lots of us will empathise with that, you're in just the right place ;)
Thank you so much for the warm welcome and, this was a really nice and happy thing for me to read, I appreciate it! :)
"There is no nobility in suffering" // DID. OCD. 23. all that rhymes, then we have: She/They pronouns please.
Serenity
Director
Director

Post by Serenity »

Hi lilypod, and welcome to isurvive. I'm sorry for the reasons, but glad you are here.

With care,
Serenity
lilypod

Post by lilypod »

Thank you Serenity, for the warm welcome!

Take good care,
Lilypod
Watercolor

Post by Watercolor »

Welcome! I hope you'll feel comfortable and supported here!
plantsandtigers

Post by plantsandtigers »

Hi lilypod,

Congratulations on getting out of the abusive situation you were in. That's such a great idea about a recovery date, I kinda have a recovery month which was when I cut contact from my abuser, and every year I feel happy and proud to see how much my life has improved.

Welcome to the forum.

plantsandtigers
quixote

Post by quixote »

Lilypod,
You're off to a great start. Keep us posted on your progress.
FrumSurvivor

Post by FrumSurvivor »

Welcome!
Amazing to have a recovery start date/anniversary. :)
I have a special date from a few yrs back when I did a transformational workshop in which I shed a lot of negative and old STUFF. Felt so freeing that I sort of consider it a 2nd birthday.
May you always look back on this day always with a sense of pride, and feel super accomplished as you move along this journey.
Best,
FrumSurvivor