Sky News Australia

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

Crow

Sky News Australia

Post by Crow »

Over the past few months I have come across, and started watching videos on YouTube from Sky News Australia. I have to say, from someone who is tired of mainstream media and the political and biased and fear based propaganda that is churned out, this is a surprisingly refreshing channel that deals with fact over fear, and fact over emotions.
Quite honestly, I'm amazed that they haven't been silenced. I'm amazed that YouTube hasn't removed some of their videos. For the most part they are on top of reality when it comes to coronavirus. And more recently, they are on top of shedding light on the heavy bias of the majority of media outlets covering the Israel and Palestine conflict, and the portrayal of events in Gaza.

Of course, this is all my opinion. I just wanted to share an outlet that I have found to be useful on the select topics I keep an eye on. As I have said before, I avoid news in general, just live my life as peaceably as possible. But, something that bothers me, and possibly due to my childhood injustice, is the injustice and scapegoating and propaganda in media these days. I seem to be in the minority with many views these days, but hey, we all have an opinion. But I keep mine to myself a lot because unfortunately when I have shared mine (justified with objective thoughtful reason), I receive abuse and marginalisation. And I guess that is because those people treat others as they are conditioned by the media.

Do check out Sky News Australia - it is refreshingly honest and objective and informative compared to UK media. (Again, this is based on my newly acquired appreciation of recent videos of their's - I may not agree with everything, but so far, it's good to see.)

Crow
A little boy hides in an adult's disguise.
Quote taken from an original poem that I have written.
Noname

Re: Sky News Australia

Post by Noname »

I’ve looked at the YouTube page for this Sky News Australia…. It’s essentially Fox News only Australian in case anyone is curious. Side note – I had no idea Australians were so enamored with Donald Trump.

As far as getting Covid information from them? It’s pretty clear that they are not getting their information from doctors or scientists. Therefore, they are part of the terrible problem of spreading misinformation. Just my opinion.

Also, my opinion: Crow, you are being very insensitive. I’ve seen what Covid does to people. My mother died from Covid. My last “conversations” with her were via a nurse holding up a phone and me talking. She was on a ventilator and sedated most of the time, so she couldn’t talk back, and I have no way of knowing if she could even hear me. Do you have any idea how devastating this virus has been? Over 3 million people have died. There are millions more who have recovered and are still struggling with symptoms months, or even a year later. This is no joke.

Also, we have members here who are medical professionals. Who’ve been on the front lines witnessing the death and devastation from this awful virus. You are making a mockery of their work. In my opinion.

I will admit that in the beginning of the pandemic I posted some of my strong opinions. But, then I realized that this is not the venue for that. This is not a political site. This is supposed to be a safe, healing place. And I realized that my posts might make others feel unsafe, or uncomfortable, so I stopped making those posts. I really debated whether I should post this, as I don’t want to contribute to anyone feeling unsafe here. But, your recent posts have made me feel very unsafe, and I couldn’t keep quiet. I don’t know if anyone else here feels the way I do (and I don’t expect anyone to say anything even if they do – like I said, that’s not what this site is for), but you opened the can. And I felt it was important that someone say something.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Hi Noname,

I've replied to your other post, but I'll reply accordingly here.
I am UK so I don't know about Fox news or anything else.
I even stated in my post that I have only just discovered them, and I may not agree with everything. As it happens I don't agree with some of their Covid stuff, but I'm not going to share my view on what.

It is sad that my worry about posting things about a preferred media source or protests or anything has caused upset. Genuinely Noname, I didn't intend to upset you or anyone.
I also worried that even slightly having my own opinion would offend someone (and as someone told me in chat), but that is life... people have different opinions.
But I still struggle to find my voice, partly because of people's reactions.

Your comment on Trump... I wouldn't know. I have no view on Trump, Biden or anything. I am UK. I don't vote. I'm not political. I have no agenda. I try and live my life peaceably. But when I dare to share something innocently like this I am attacked for it. Just proves I need to keep my mouth shut. Childhood lessons I guess were true.

I suppose regarding Covid, when you say doctors and scientists... which ones? That is the issue I think. So I have a distrust of government. I listen to genuine doctors who share genuine concerns over the pandemic and the vaccines. That may not be in line with mainstream media, but does that make me a villain?
I get the impression you think I am a conspiracy theorist or someone who spreads disinformation... no. No I am not. I suppose some may think because I don't have a majority view then I am wrong or being hurtful. But I am not. We need to balance the information between disinformation outlets and mainstream media. I'm not sure I'm any closer to finding out the truth!
Your view may be that one station is part of a problem of spreading misinformation, and my view is most stations have a heavy bias which is also misinformation... who is right? We all choose what we believe is truth. We all do our own research.

You say that I am being insensitive. You are entitled to your opinion, however I am very sensitive. I understand pain. I empathise with people. And, I have not shared any direct opinions purely so that I am not being insensitive. (After all, anyone with a different opinion will maybe think or accuse someone who doesn't share that same view of being insensitive or wrong.)
Noname wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:04 pm Also, my opinion: Crow, you are being very insensitive. I’ve seen what Covid does to people. My mother died from Covid. My last “conversations” with her were via a nurse holding up a phone and me talking. She was on a ventilator and sedated most of the time, so she couldn’t talk back, and I have no way of knowing if she could even hear me. Do you have any idea how devastating this virus has been? Over 3 million people have died. There are millions more who have recovered and are still struggling with symptoms months, or even a year later. This is no joke.
Firstly on this... I am sorry for your loss. It's so hurtful the way people have been restricted from seeing loved ones like this, or being with them at the end. I do feel for your loss.
Do I know how devestating it has been? Yes. I had Covid. I am still struggling with ongoing after effects that effect me every day a year on. I do know Noname. I have never once denied the virus. I have never once shared my view. But I will echo what I said on another post. I reckon the death toll for cancer patients with delayed treatment is huge - bigger than will ever be reported. I reckon the mental health crisis will put strain on services for decades as a result of lockdowns. Do you think domestic violence and child abuse just stopped and didn't get worse during lockdown? God only knows the desperate loss of life and life time trauma from that!
People have died during this pandemic. Are the numbers correct? Not by the way the UK records deaths it isn't.
People have died because they weren't able to get treatment for cancer or other treatments. Children have died. Adults and young people have committed suicide during this pandemic. Have I experienced these thing? Yes. Has this affected me? Yes. Do I know personally all of this? Yes.
I'm entitled to an opinion... one that I haven't shared here. But maybe you think I'm something I'm not.

I posted this topic and a topic about protests. I posted in the open forum because I thought that was allowed. I posted because these topics trigger me... because of my abuse. I wanted to share things that helped me. I wanted to ask questions. I genuinely thought it was okay.
You mention this isn't a political site. I am not political. I didn't think what I was saying was political. But other posts of mine have been changed to MT due to political sensitivity and that threw me when I saw it earlier. It's not mentioned in the guidelines, and I didn't think it was political.
This is always what worries me. I don't know the unwritten rules. Maybe I genuinely don't have a clue how to use forums and text. I prefer talking face to face.

Oh, and as a key worker myself and unable to handle stress, I quit my job... just saying.

I never intended to upset you or make you feel unsafe Noname... or anyone. I apologise for that. But I won't apologise for the original posts. I am entitled to post things.
I try not to share my opinion particularly if it may upset people, so I purposely kept my opinion out of it.

Crow
Aspen

Post by Aspen »

Hi Crow,

I responded on another post of yours, but I'll add this here.

Congratulations on beginning to form your own opinions, it is an important part of healing.

As I wrote elsewhere, we have members who have lost family members, are directly affected by Co-vid long term effects, have high risk factors, and working on the front lines of Cov-id. We also have members affected by the current bombings in Israel. Please focus on recognizing that you have formed opinions, but keep in mind that this forum focus is on healing from abuse.

We need to keep this forum safe for all members.

Aspen
Crow

Post by Crow »

Got it. Maybe guidelines need to be updated.

And everyone assumes I have not been affected...

No voice.
Aspen

Post by Aspen »

Crow

Your voice always welcome, but it needs to stick to healing from abuse on this forum. We have members from all over the world, of many backgrounds, political belief systems, religions, cultures and the like. While it may seem like a perfect opportunity to hear differing political viewpoints, our mission is to provide a safe place for abuse survivors to heal. Our focus needs to be on the healing journey. Developing opinions is important, but turning the site to political debate lessens the safety for survivors who may have differing opinions.

Our members may disagree on politics, religion, culture and the like, but there is valuable insight from our community of survivors when helping each other heal when we stick to our mission.

Aspen
Crow

Post by Crow »

I think either I've missed something or someone has missed my point. I don't do politics. I didn't state any political beliefs. I didn't even give an opinion. I very much care about everyone here. I don't think I am being understood.
Chessgirl

Post by Chessgirl »

Crow, if it means anything I’d have to agree with you that some of your recent posts have been misunderstood. I’m sorry that there have been so many false assumptions made. I can tell your feelings have really been hurt here and I’m so very sorry. I hope you choose to stay here with us, as your posts help many of us here at isurvive.
Chessgirl
Crow

Post by Crow »

Thanks Chessgirl. I appreciate your words.