Pre Period

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

Shelly

Pre Period

Post by Shelly »

Does anyone else feel like it gets unbearable the week before you start your period? I feel like my flashback always get more intense and more frequent. Maybe it’s just me sorry if tmi.
Last edited by Harmony on Mon May 03, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited from MT to NT due to no triggering content.
Harmony
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pre Period

Post by Harmony »

Hi Shelly,
I don't have any answers for you but wanted to let you know your post was heard.

Harmony
frangypan

Post by frangypan »

Hi Shelly,

Yes, the week or 10 days before my period are often very difficult, I get more easily depressed and triggered and am much more prone to SH. Or at least it's harder to keep these things at bay. Hormones I guess. I also find it difficult because I get more urges to have sex during that time, even though I don't enjoy it. And I often don't realise it might be because of my period until I start and I emerge out of that dark hole. Does it change for you very quickly once you've started? I've been curious about this for a while, whether it affects others the same, so thank you for bringing the subject up.
OneThousandApologies

Post by OneThousandApologies »

Shelly,
It's not just you. I used to be very effected right before my period. I didn't know it at the time but I would Sabotage myself the week leading up to my period. I would watch things knowing I would be triggered and put myself in triggering situations. It's like that time of month my brain would just short circuit and I would forget about my coping skills. A few years ago a friend asked me why I'm different before I start my period. I didn't know what they were talking about. But it made me evaluate myself during that time and found out that I sabotage myself, subconsciously, on purpose. I still don't know why exactly besides hormones can be very powerful. Since then I have tracked my period on an app (accurate within 1-2 days) so I know when I'm getting close and am aware of my behavior which has helped me gain control of myself in that week. I still struggle but I'm able to talk myself out of sabotaging myself. Maybe tracking your period will help you know when to be more aware of the difficult times ahead?

OneThousandApologies
FrumSurvivor

Post by FrumSurvivor »

Oh my gosh.
I know exactly how you feel, Shelly.
My life turns into a nightmare.
And then weirdly falls back into place after...
Sorry you have to deal with this. It's so, so hard!
FrumSurvivor
Shelly

Post by Shelly »

Thank you all for responding! I’m sorry you all have to go through this too.

Frumsurvivor, I agree I feel like I lose all the hope I have left and nothing’s matters.

Onethousandapologies, I feel like I self sabotage worse during this time too. I will look into an app to track it! It’s bad enough I wish it didn’t have to get worse every month.

Frangypan, I do feel like it stops pretty sudden once I start. The first few days of my period I actually feel kinda okay usually.
OneThousandApologies

Post by OneThousandApologies »

Shelly,

I know what you mean.
But knowing your triggers, being aware that you self sabotage and having somewhat of a heads up when you will be starting your period will hopefully give you the tools you need to gain your control back!

Best wishes,
OneThousandApologies
gods_child

Post by gods_child »

Shelly,

That's definitely not tmi on this this site. Thanks for being willing to talk about something so many women suffer with in silence. I remember talking with you in chat many months ago about this. Any updates, if you don't mind me asking? I still think this sounds a lot like PMDD (Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder) which is more likely to occur in anyone with a history of PTSD, depression, etc. It's far more serious than PMS and can be incredibly life intrusive. The good news is that PMDD can absolutely be treated* by a medical professional so I would encourage you to talk to your provider, if you haven't already. Sometimes you have to really advocate for yourself and emphasize the intensity of your symptoms to make the designation of PMDD over PMS so you receive the appropriate treatment. You, and everyone else struggling with symptoms, deserve to live a life free from this monthly swing of uncontrollable uncertainty. You have enough to deal with. I'd love for you to have one less problem to worry about. Best wishes!

Edit: PMDD can absolutely and often easily be treated. It may take a few tweaks here and there, but you'd be amazed at what adjusting chemical and hormone imbalances can accomplish along with how simply it can be done. Bottom line, none of this is your fault, you brain and body just need a little help with all wild things our bodies go through.*

- gc
Last edited by gods_child on Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member since Oct 3, 2007
102 Old Posts
Rosahope

Post by Rosahope »

Shelly thanks for sharing this. I have it too.