Do we think other mental health issues are childhood trauma?

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

johnram

Do we think other mental health issues are childhood trauma?

Post by johnram »

I am wary of generalising, but i sometimes think that a lot of mental health issues (outside of cPTSD), likely have a childhood basis, especially those with say depression or addiction, but dont know the why.

I say that partly given my bad experiences in therapy, where the therapist wouldnt go near my mothers schizophrenia and its impact on me as an infant and child being left alone with her. In the same way, i think there is a lot of therapists are treating symptoms that are actually rooted in childhood?

i am aware some things are purely biological - i am putting that to one side

its a discussion, i am biased as i have cPTSD, but seeing what others think?
Chessgirl

Re: Do we think other mental health issues are childhood trauma?

Post by Chessgirl »

I agree with you. I wonder this a lot too. Anxiety, ADHD (which my therapist told me could arise from trauma and dissociating), depression, low self worth, addiction.... I feel had I been raised differrently, I would be a very successful well rounded happy and healthy adult today.
Chessgirl
johnram

Post by johnram »

I feel the same, that if i had had the right encouragement and not so much trauma, i would have done well in life

i had done ok in some regards but as my childhood caught me and my faking it, that stopped

on the different diagnosis, i think its all potentially early childhood - maybe society and parents arent ready for that honest
quixote

Post by quixote »

Johnram,
This is a good question: Is it nature or nurture? I think it depends on who you talk to. Physicians might say nature. Therapists might say nurture. Ultimately, it may depend on who you trust more to treat a particular problem.
quixote
NINGirl

Post by NINGirl »

I wonder about this often and it’s oddly reassuring that others have thought about this! I know personally that a large chunk of my mental health struggles with self-harm and substances were always heavily triggered and connected to my abuse. Like, if I am really delving into my past experiences and abuse, like working on stuff and thinking about it a lot... it used to really lead me to self destructive behaviors, if that makes sense? I was thinking about it the other day and I suddenly had the thought - “What if all the self destructiveness and self-harming was really me choosing things that would trigger me somewhere inside and essentially recreate the suffering and trauma, or at least some of the feelings of pain/shame, etc..

I don’t know if I make sense. Lol..
“I’m tryin’ not to think about it, push it to the back of my brain, what I hear is screamin’, shoutiin’, I can’t even think of my own name.” - Bishop Briggs, “Someone Else”
InTheWay

Post by InTheWay »

This is a topic near and dear to my heart, which I've spent a lot of time digging into.

First off, there is now LOTS of good research evidence that childhood trauma, neglect, poverty, etc. lead to mental and physical health issues as people grow up. Google "Adverse Childhood Experiences" (ACE). This term has been around about 15 years now and still hasn't gotten the attention it deserves outside of the academic research community. But the effects of childhood trauma are mind boggling. Including actual brain damage/impairment.

Addictions: Pychololgists (Not psychiatrists who are MD's who do nothing (IMHO) but push pills) are firmly convinced that most addictions are the result of using substances to cope with trauma symptoms. This means that addicts need to heal in order to achieve long term sobriety. Drugs work, but they happen to have serious side effects including addiction.

Self-injury (SI): this is another widely used coping tool for dealing with trauma symptoms. Pain can take people out of their trauma for a time, maybe by causing dissociation. It works, but again can have rather serious side effects.

(steps off of soap box) I hope this helps people.
Last edited by Serenity on Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT for no triggering detail
johnram

Post by johnram »

thank you for that
but i do think our society isnt ready for that conversation