Brief Hello :)

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: quixote, Harmony, Jonesy

Callisto

Brief Hello :)

Post by Callisto » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 pm

Dear members of isurvive, I hope this message finds you well-fed and safe, wherever you are.

Like many of the other new members of the board, this is my first time reaching out to a survivor support group. I'm in my early 30s and have only recently begun to put together the pieces of childhood sexual abuse which has shaped my psyche and my life.

For awhile, after that distinct a-ha! moment only two years ago, I struggled to think about anything other than the abuse. My life was defined by it. My relationship, my sexuality (gay woman :D ), failure to thrive in a professional career, all of the attempts to attend college and the inevitable drop-outs, every bit of bad luck and bad social skills: all of it led from the sudden (and slow) revelation that I had been sexually abused by a family member before the age of 4.

I am now at the point where I can separate who I am from the trauma that I experienced. I can see a future where I define my own meaning of success, complete my degree, and teach myself all the social skills that I had been deprived of as an innocent, abused child. I have even began to forgive myself, a little at least, for the ways in which I lashed out. I can only say these things because I have spent a lot of time and effort attempting to see myself correctly, ground myself away from my spiraling thoughts, seek therapy, and allow myself to be open and honest with my mother - we have a complicated relationship - but, as it turns out, we were abused by the same family member, 20-some years apart.

I'm here now because I am seeking to support and be supported by a community of survivors who all have the same goal: to heal, and to heal well. There are many things that I just cannot discuss with anyone around me, like the anger I cannot let go of, or the damage to my body which I fear will always be with me.

Thank you to those who have created this safe space, and to those of you who have held it here for me now. I hope to offer the same in return.

With kind regards to all,

Callisto
Last edited by Serenity on Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT as no triggering detail included

Lorelai

Re: Brief Hello :)

Post by Lorelai » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:14 am

Welcome Callisto! I am sorry about the things that happened that brought you here, but I am glad that you were able to find this group for support.

Serenity
Director
Director

Post by Serenity » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:38 am

Hi Callisto,

Welcome to isurvive. This is a great place to talk about the things that we can't always talk about elsewhere. I'm glad you are here.

With care,
Serenity

coconuts

Post by coconuts » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:49 pm

Welcome. So sorry for the reasons but glad you found us. This is a great place to connect with others on their own healing journeys

Coconuts

Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:45 pm

Hi Callisto

A very warm welcome to isurvive from me
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org

Watercolor