What's the meaning/purpose of life for you personally?

This is a place to discuss grounding techniques and self-care strategies.

Moderator: Jonesy

Naiwen

What's the meaning/purpose of life for you personally?

Post by Naiwen »

For me personally, is to feel alive and happy this current moment. I haven't been very happy in life myself for 6 years of my life. I've wasted 6 years of my life wondering why I'm here. Why do you think there is life?
Last edited by Jonesy on Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT, for no triggering detail
Progress

Re: What's the meaning/purpose of life for you personally?

Post by Progress »

Hi Naiwen,
Such a great question!

So many of us have fought so hard for survival. And then we did survive. Here we are now, struggling to recover from the abuse of our past. We have moments, or days, or weeks, or months, or years of such incredible pain. Or a complete void where feelings should be. So why do we fight so hard?

Its just my humble opinion, but well, you did ask! I do believe we all have a purpose in life. I believe that we all have a sparkle, a light that shines from deep within us. Even in the darkest of times, when we feel so much shame and blame and pain, when we think we are worthless, and our existence is pointless…that light is still there, dancing and sparkling.

I have this image of a thick dark tangle of thorns and brambles covering over my light. But, my inner light can’t be completely covered. The thorns and brambles and branches try to cover up my light, but they will always let some of that light sparkle through. There are too many cracks!

Why is my light there? I’m not sure I completely know the answer yet. But there is some kind of a gift in there, sparkling away. It’s definitely not art, it sure as heck is not musical, haha. It definitely has nothing to do with food or cooking. It’s not gardening, or being an extraordinary pet momma. I’m an adequate momma to my kids, but not gonna win any awards there. It’s not craftsy, or business-y, and it’s certainly not a Melania Gates thing of managing billions in philanthropy, hahaha.

But I do tend to reach my most hard to reach students. I suspect my sparkle might have something to do with that. Idk, maybe one day I’ll figure it out. But I’m moving closer and closer to knowing my purpose every day. I believe there’s something I bring uniquely to the world, and you do too.

I have rambled on far too long.
Take good care,
Progress
IndividualWafer

Post by IndividualWafer »

I'm not sure I feel that there is any true purpose other than to just appreciate being alive while it lasts. Of course there's always the pursuit of your "personal legend" but when it comes down to it I sort of feel like we're just this tiny piece of a undulating life force that "just exists" That's just how I feel today though :lol: who knows about tomorrow :P
heavenlydove

Post by heavenlydove »

Hi Naiwen and Progress,

Sorry to hear Naiwen that you have been feeling rather lost in regards to why you are here for quite a few years now. I hope that at some point soon you get to discover something that makes you want to be truly alive for. I think it is good that you want to enjoy things in the present - finding new interesting hobbies is maybe a good start (if you can find something you would like to do). I also remember reading that helping others in some way can also lead people to feel happier in themselves and less lonely. I suppose it is about doing something positive in the world, so you feel you are contributing something good out there, beyond doing something only for yourself. There are so many people in need of support and help (or just feeling lonely), who would truly appreciate you giving them some time if you have it. Anyway, something to think about.

I think it looks like you are quite a thinker Progress. I loved your contributions to this debate and your interesting way to describe that light inside that is guiding you to bigger and better things. Yes it is this light is what is guiding you to inner contentment and joy as opposed to only momentary happiness which is so fleeting. I guess all one can do is to try to be attentive of that light and what it is pointing to. May you find your inner purpose and your own way to contribute something positive in the world in whatever shape or form that takes.
greendreamdays

Post by greendreamdays »

I believe my purpose in this life is healing. It's what my whole life seems to have been about. I also think the purpose of life is learning.

I agree with heavenlydove, Progress always has many good and insightful things to say. And I sense this light inside us too. Even if my darkest moments I sense it even though I didn't understand it. I can't really control it but I have realized that I can try to hide it but it will not change the fact that it will always be there.
Oceantide

Post by Oceantide »

Naiwen wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:46 pm Why do you think there is life?
I first asked myself this question at age 4 (I saw my father going to work and wondered what the point of it all was...why were we alive anyway? what did it mean?) and I've asked it many times since. Today for me the answer seems related to love/connection, but I don't have a clue what love really is or how to sustain connection.