Hello there - introducing myself

An area for new members to introduce themselves, as well as a place where all members can share concerns, questions or general posts.
Everyone is welcome here.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, Jonesy

Seren1

Hello there - introducing myself

Post by Seren1 »

Hi there

My name is Seren and I thought I'd just write a few words about myself and why I'm here. I'm a survivor of historical abuse - sexual, physical, mental and emotional - that I only really remembered just three years ago, in my forties. I always knew my childhood wasn't quite right, but nothing made sense until I got my memory back. My therapist (who is remarkable) said it was a "perfect storm." I'd finally found myself in a loving relationship (after years of abusive ones), I'd managed to bring up a wonderful child to adulthood, but I went through another trauma which brought the original childhood traumas back. It's easy to feel down, but I felt like I'd found the missing jigsaw pieces to my life. In some ways, it was a massive relief knowing that I wasn't going mad!

Anyway, lots of things happened - I was unable to work, I was diagnosed with PTSD and a number of other conditions, but I try to stay glass half full! :D Not always easy. I finally know who I am and what happened and I wouldn't turn back the clock to forgetting again.

The hard thing at the moment is that I've decided I finally have the courage to report the abuse. I feel strong enough and I feel like I deserve to finally speak out and recognise it's not my fault. However, my family have mostly turned against me and are extremely angry with me. It's a scary place to be! But I'm determined to do what I know is right for me and for others who might have suffered from this also. I have to believe that the truth always sets you free.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough for a first post! That's me in a nutshell. I have a wonderful husband and son, two fabulous older step-daughters who are so loving and supportive and a younger step-son. I have two dogs and two cats (I sleep every night cuddled up with snoring balls of fur because we're both too soft!) I also have had the support of some beautiful friends. Thank you so much for accepting me into this group. xx
Banana

Re: Hello there - introducing myself

Post by Banana »

Hi Seren1

Welcome to isurvive.

I really like your attitude towards learning about your past. My T often talks about life being like a jigsaw puzzle and me putting pieces together, gradually over time. There's so much courage in your words and I hope you can see that. It's such a brave thing to report abuse, especially when family have turned against you. This is such a supportive and caring place. I hope you find what you need here.

With caring
Banana
"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." - Leo Buscaglia
reisha

Post by reisha »

hello {seren 1} <-- safe hug, if ok(?)

welcome to our safe lil corner of the web
sorry to know ya have need, yet glad ya found us
may ya find support & healing here
Last edited by Harmony on Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited trigger indicator from MT to NT
Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy »

Hi Seren1

A warm welcome to isurvive
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
Seren1

Post by Seren1 »

Thank you so much Banana, Reisha and Jonesey. It means so much just to know that there are others out there who understand. Your words were so kind and supportive and helpful. I think the jigsaw is a lifetime's work! I'm not sure if I'll ever get all the pieces, but it's the analogy that works for me. I've looked at lots of survivors forums before I joined this one and I honestly think this is the best I've seen. I felt safe just looking through it. You'll get there too. I know it xx
Last edited by Serenity on Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT
iwillthrive

Post by iwillthrive »

Seren1,

Not many words tonight but I wanted to welcome you to this wonderful place. May you find here the support and understanding you are looking for.

It's brace what you are doing. All of it.

Wishing you peace...iwillthrive