Simple survey - DID diagnosis (responses by 15th April)

A listing of upcoming events which may be of interest.

*Please note that isurvive.org does not officially endorse anything listed here.

Moderator: Jonesy

Jonesy
Director
Director

Re: Simple survey - DID diagnosis (responses by 15th April)

Post by Jonesy »

Hi guys

I will pass on your comments. Really appreciate your help :D
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org
Shine

Post by Shine »

Hi Jonesy,
I just wanted to say that if this is part of a psychology degree research project he should be letting us know that he has ethical approval from his university to conduct the research and should also provide us with more information about the study/info about how details will be kept confidential etc and should be also gaining written/electronic consent before collecting information.
I'm not trying to be critical, but there are procedures for collecting data as part of a psychology research project that don't appear to have been followed (maybe they have and he has not said but he should do)
Thanks
Shine
Beachlady

Post by Beachlady »

Shine is right.
Shine, thanks for pointing this out. Without a notice of approval from his IRB (the review board of his university) he is breaking ethical rules....

Beachlady
Beachlady

"If a human can dare to be more than the condition into which she was born, then so can you”
Maya Angelou
"Think Higher and Feel Deeper; The opposite of love is indifference"
Elie Weisel
Lego

Post by Lego »

Had the same thought. Terrific intention just needs to tend to human subjects protections.
Last edited by Jonesy on Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT
Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy »

Hi everyone

Thanks to Shine, Beachlady & Lego for making me stop and think twice. An apology if this has unsettled anyone – that was NOT my intention. Perhaps I have acted hastily but please know I believe this to be a safe survey that people have the choice to participate in or not.

I have the following information to pass on to you from Jonathan;

My school is only a Junior College, and thus doesn't actually have an ethics board. This is NOT for a Journal or Publication. It's NOT for some Board. This is simply a school project that only my teacher will be seeing.

In terms of confidentiality I am not listing names. I don't care about names; I just need some way to make sure nobody is counted more than once. In fact my own teacher won't be seeing any e-mail addresses, and I wasn't even planning on using any names in my Research Study. My mom has MPD/DID and I know how big confidentiality is. I have known and have been friends with Survivors for years. That is why I kept the survey as non-triggering as possible, as well as allowing people to use pseudonyms or usernames.

The only thing I am interested in doing is collecting data for my survey.

My survey's purpose is to show my teacher that I was able to do research that will help me with my question of "Why does it take over 5 years on average to get a correct diagnosis of MPD/DID?" This coincides with my theory of; "I believe it takes so long as most therapists and such don't know enough about MPD/DID or believe in it to make the correct diagnosis. Thus they see multiple therapists, before finally getting the right one".

If you look at my survey, it's VERY confidential.
You are important

Beachlady

Post by Beachlady »

Hi Jonesy,

Thank you for following up on this. Knowing those circumstances makes it MUCH clearer and of course he would not have any of the same checks and balances that someone doing work for publication would have. Not unsettled at all here. I got a very nice thank-you e-mail from him and wish him well in his work. I'd still love to see his paper! ;-)

Beachlady
Beachlady

"If a human can dare to be more than the condition into which she was born, then so can you”
Maya Angelou
"Think Higher and Feel Deeper; The opposite of love is indifference"
Elie Weisel
Couragetoday

Post by Couragetoday »

Feeling more relieved understanding the process as well as I had already shared information. I too received a kind reply from him as well. Would certainly be interested in his project/findings.
recover

Post by recover »

hi jonesy,
echoing the others, no problem here. interested in the results!
recover
Shine

Post by Shine »

Hi Jonesy,
Thanks for following this up - sorry if it unsettled anyone, that wasn't my intention.
I've found a good resource for him from the American psychological society for conducting research when you are in high school. (It sounds like he is in America but I also have the equivalent info if he is in the uk). If he does want to be a psychologist this is an important learning opportunity for him to get to grips with ethics.
Would it be ok if I emailed the like to you Jonesy to pass on?
Thanks
Shine
Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy »

Hi Shine

Yes please, and thanks
You are important