Books in return for donation to isurvive

An area for discussion of books or articles relating to abuse and healing that you've read or are currently reading.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

ChipmunksRunFree

Re: Books in return for donation to isurvive

Post by ChipmunksRunFree »

What a good idea!
"A chipmunk for you..."
*plucks out the most beautiful flower and gives it to you - a baby chipmunk curled up and sleeping within its petals!...*
reisha

Post by reisha »

YEA! im in too. it may take me a while, as most-a my books are in storage, but i also come across many free books from the lil free libraries around town. so i can keep an eye out for 'relevant tomes'

{{{{ISURVIVE!!}}}}}
Last edited by Jonesy on Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT
mustard seed

Post by mustard seed »

Hi Jonesy,

I am interested in one of your books (not bold so I'm hoping it's still available);
hmm, can't get back to the first post. I'll email the title along with the shipping address.
Thanks,
ms xo
fightinback

Post by fightinback »

I have some treasured books which I have found very supportive in my own healing journey, and no longer have any personal use for. I would therefore like to donate them to members, via isurvive, who are working through their own similar journey and who may also find them supportive.

Please do not worry about postage. All I ask is a donation to isurvive at http://isurvive.org/support-us/ (Jonesy/mods am I right in saying donations can be made through this link? Feel free to update if there is a more suitable alternative).

I am not going to suggest a specific donation but rather leave that between you and what the book is worth *to you*. I have belief that the right book will always find its' way to the right person, and the right price will always be raised for the treasure sought.

Please email Jonesy (jonesy@hush.com) to say which book you would like and she can forward me the address to post. I would suggest reserving the book before making the donation. Thank you Jonesy :D

If there are any questions about any of these books, feel free to ask, whether on here or privately.

"The Courage to Heal" by Ellen Bass & Laura Davis
ISBN 978-0-091-88420-8
"If you have been sexually abused you are not alone. One out of three girls, and one out of seven boys, is sexually abused by the age of eighteen. All sexual abuse is damaging and the trauma does not end when the abuse stops.
The Courage to Heal offers hope, encouragement and practical advice to every woman who was sexually abused as a child and answers some vital questions, including:
• How do I know if I was a victim of child sexual abuse?
• Where does the decision to heal start?
• How can I re-build my self esteem, intimacy and capacity to love?
• what therapy, support groups, self-help programmes or organisations are available?
Based on the experiences of hundreds of survivors and partners, The Courage to Heal profiles victims who share the challenges and triumphs of their personal healing processes. inspiring and comprehensive, it offers mental, emotional and physical support to those who are in the process of rebuilding their lives"

A thick tome of around 496 pages. It has a 'well used' spine, and a couple of dents in the front cover; other than that I feel it's in incredibly good condition for the use it has had.

"Find Peace with Meditation" by Naomi Ozaniec
ISBN 978-1-444-13576-3
"Connect mind, body and soul. Grow spiritually. Radiate Love, Unlock your true self, Enrich your soul"

A small ish book - 6mm thick. Good condition. No obvious damage, wear & tear, or marks anywhere, including the spine.

"Healing your Emotional Self" by Beverly Engel
ISBN 978-0-470-12778-0
"In Healing your Emotional Self, Beverly Engel, one of the world's leading experts on emotional, physical and sexual abuse, explains how to heal the damage to your self image and self esteem caused by negative parental messages and offers treatment to help you lead a happier and healthier life. This breakthrough guide is designed to help you reject the distorted images your parents either intentionally or unintentionally projected onto you. Step by step, this innovative method will give you the skills you need to quiet your inner critic, boost your self esteem, create a positive self image separate from your abusive parents' distorted picture, discover who you really are, learn self nurturing, and become the person you are meant to be."

I l♥ved this book! Around 260 pages. No obvious damage, wear & tear, or marks anywhere, including the spine.

"Conquering Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder" by Victoria Lemle Beckner PhD and John B Arden PhD
ISBN 978-1-59233-309-7
"If you're one of the tens of millions of people who have suffered through a traumatic experience and now struggle with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), you know that overcoming PTSD is a daily battle against chronic anxiety, depression, and anger. Fortunately, there are techniques to help you push past these symptoms, and also tremendous potential for growth through this process - new strengths, improved relationships, a heightened appreciation for life, and changed life goals.... "

304 pages. No obvious damage to the spine. Minimal signs of wear and tear on the cover and inside.

"Positive Psychology" by Bridget Grenville-Cleave
ISBN 978-184831277-7
"Gives you easy, proven techniques from the science of well-being to improve your inner strength and put you on the path to a flourishing, happy life. Overcome unhappiness and think more optimistically. Build better relationships through positive communication. Develop real-time resilience and see every challenge as an opportunity. Discover your strengths and use them positively every day."

A small pocket book. 216 pages. No damage to the spine or inside pages. Minimal signs of wear and tear on the cover.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy" by Elaine Iljon Foreman and Dr Clair Pollard
ISBN 978-184831254-8
"Gives you straightforward, proven techniques from experts in this life-changing therapy. it's full of practical exercises to help you feel happier, overcome your fears and think in a more helpful way. Understand your behaviour and how to change negative patterns. Learn to relax and put your worries into perspective. Manage negative emotions to help you think differently. Feel better about yourself and start achieving your goals again."

A small pocket book. 212 pages. No damage to the spine or inside pages. Minimal signs of wear and tear on the cover.

"Psychology of Success" by Alison and David Price
ISBN 978-184831259-3
"Uses expert insights, real life case studies and powerful techniques to help you reach your full potential and achieve whatever you want in life - starting now. Identify what success means to you, and build day to day strategies to reach your goals. Overcome obstacles and succeed in the face of adversity. Seize the day and learn to appreciate the bigger picture. Change your life for the better - for yourself and those around you."

A small pocket book. 217 pages. No damage to the spine or inside pages. Minimal signs of wear and tear on the cover.

"Neurolinguistic Programming" by Neil Shah
ISBN 978-184831256-2
"Takes proven psychological techniques and helps you to use them in the real world. It's packed with exercises and activities so you can get started straight away. Influence others and understand how they're influencing you. Make new friends and feel more confident. Achieve your goals with the power of visualisation. Overcome unhappiness and think positively."

A small pocket book. 212 pages. No damage to the spine or inside pages. Minimal signs of wear and tear on the cover.

"Thinking, Changing, Rearranging" by Jill Anderson
ISBN 0-943920-30-2
"Teach children the skills that build self esteem. The belief is common in children that they "have to" feel a certain way "because of" what happens. As long as they attribute the quality of their emotional state to some force outside themselves, they remain blind to their role in creating their day and feel powerless to change it. "

66 pages. As well as buying this book for my son who was struggling with his own self-esteem, I wanted something basic for myself to work with my own inner child. I bought two copies of this originally, one for me and one for my son. Only one copy got used - by both of us. This is the copy that wasn't used and is therefore like new condition.

True healing comes from inner work and the will to work for it. I hope these books bring you as much healing as they have brought me. If any remain unwanted, I will donate them to my local Mind charity shop. Peace. xx
FB Delicately changing my name because I don't need to fight anymore.

Be true to yourself
Never sacrifice who you are just because someone has a problem with it
Xanthia

Post by Xanthia »

Thanks for your generosity FB.

Wondering whether "Conquering PTSD" would be helpful for someone whose PTSD arises from childhood issues as opposed to single event? I'd appreciate your opinion.

Did "Thinking, Changing, Rearranging" assist your inner child/ren as you'd planned?

Really happy for you that you no longer need these books. Hopefully, your son also has healed so he can fly high.
Xanthia
fightinback

Post by fightinback »

Hi Xanthia and thank you for your interest.

"Conquering PTSD" While the book introduces six survivors who have each lived through some kind of trauma - Hurricane Katrina, combat in Iraq, childhood abuse, car accident, fatal fire and assault (so it covers single and multiple events and child abuse), this is not a book about 'trauma', it's a book about 'PTSD'. It covers what trauma does to your body; the symptoms, emotions and thought patterns of PTSD; recognising triggers and how to deal with them; nightmares and flashbacks; overcoming avoidance, depression and anxiety; types of foods that help; sleep help; alcohol/drug dependence; relationships... through to professional support for PTSD, and moving beyond. There are skills and techniques to practice and exercises to complete throughout.

If you are looking for a book specifically about 'healing from child abuse', this isn't it. This is however a very good book that leads you by the hand through all the disabling conditions that come with having PTSD. Hope that makes it a little clearer. It was one of the tools that helped me in my own healing from my own multiple traumas (single, multiple and childhood).

For "Thinking, Changing, Rearranging" I purposely wanted something simple that was aimed at kids, for my own inner child, and for my son and this book was recommended to me by another adult survivor. It has simple language, lots of diagrams and activities throughout. Personally I really like it because of its' simplicity (and humour) and that was exactly what I needed at the time - when my head was full of fog and I wasn't thinking clearly. Among all the tools that I used to heal myself, this book helped in the way that I had hoped.

My son is now a wonderfully empathic and confident young man of 14. He continues to impress me every single day, and his experiences have shaped him to be compassionate, mentally strong and adaptable. I was determined that he would not struggle with the effects of his experiences as I had done with mine, and I fought hard for the support to help him while still in his own childhood. He is now within a really nice group of friends who seem to gravitate towards our home (apparently my son has the most laid back mum 8-) ). We have recently had parents evening at school, and all his teachers, bar none, told me how he stood out among his peers with his maturity and wisdom. Seriously, I couldn't get him through the door afterwards! :lol: I am very very proud. He has worked hard to overcome the abuse he suffered and is now flying high. Thank you.

Be true to yourself
fightinback

Post by fightinback »

Bumping this up to see if there is any interest.

Be true to yourself
quixote

Post by quixote »

I can donate my book, "Courage to Heal." I bought it used at a flea market. Just let me know who wants it.
quixote
Booklover

Post by Booklover »

Is this still happening as I have a book I brought 2 of by mistake so if so could post here
Booklover

I will become a survivor not a victim

Gentle (((((hugs))))) 🤗if ok
Jonesy
Director
Director

Post by Jonesy »

Hi Booklover - please go ahead :)
You are important

Email: jonesy@isurvive.org