Homecoming by John Bradshaw

An area for discussion of books or articles relating to abuse and healing that you've read or are currently reading.

Moderators: quixote, Jonesy

hummingbird

Homecoming by John Bradshaw

Post by hummingbird »

I found support a few nights ago when I was awake during the night worrying that by continuing to grieve, I was doing something wrong. Bradshaw's chapter on Original Pain reminded me how my avoidance of my childhood pain has kept me spinning and disconnected from myself.

I read this chapter for the first time years ago, but wasn't able to feel anything. Now I'm able to, and I can see and feel why I avoided it. I feel grateful I have the time and support to do the original pain work now. It's hard and painful, but my experience of feeling well-being and open-hearted love is increasing as I let myself feel the pain I blocked for so long.

So I'll continue to work with whatever comes up and be here for the precious child within me.

John Bradshaw, "Home Coming - Reclaiming and Championing Your Inner Child", published by Bantam, 1992
Last edited by Xanthia on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added full details
Starfish

Re: Homecoming by John Bradshaw

Post by Starfish »

thanks for the reminder, hummingbird.

I have that book and when I tried to read it quite some time ago, it was hard and I could not feel and did not know how much pain I was covering up. It sure has been a journey to get to the pain and I still have to "go there" a bit at a time or I get overwhelmed.

Perhaps I will try to read it again
Starfish
SweetestGirl

Post by SweetestGirl »

I have this book. I'll have to read it fully.
freefromlies

Post by freefromlies »

Reading John Bradshaw's book on toxic shame. This is great stuff. For me feeling emotions is what healing is all about and also agree that the way out is through not around and loved the parable in this book about the prisoner in the cave who failed to escape toward the light and therefore did not find the exit through the tunnel in the darkness right in front of him.
there

Post by there »

Also got a lot from this book. Started an inner child workbook after that. Taking it slowly but surely.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.