The shell

For all members who enjoy writing poetry or who use poetry to express their strongest emotions.
Please be advised this area can be triggering, so read cautiously.

Moderator: Jonesy

MayaSantiago

The shell

Post by MayaSantiago »

The Shell
By Maya Santiago

Dead. So she had lived.

The shell was planted in the sand. Discolored, dirty of salt, blown by the Sun

Alone.

She amused herself --sometimes-- with the wind. "Tell me your adventures", she asked. And the wind howled with pleasure at the memory of the gull, the heron and the pelican. "We have fun together!". And he laughed.

The shell wanted to tell him how much she envied his freedom and the way he caressed the sky. But she kept it to herself. The wind was so crazy! He didn't know how to listen.

"I must go now", he suddenly sang in a burst, while he parted dancing to the sound of the waves.

Alone, the shell remained buried in the beach. "I'm not useful", she said. And, sadden, she imagined how happy she would have been, being a fish, a star, sea foam or sand.

"Because --she said to herself-- what good does to anyone, a piece of nothing at the shore of the world?"

And she dreamed that the sea finally shattered her, in one of those crackling furies that assailed him when he was bothered by the wind.

But no.

The end did not come.

The ocean just knew how to give her foamy caresses; and whisper at her ear salty, humid words. And although he seemed made of tears, he always know how to tear smiles from her.

That's how the ocean taught her songs of infinite blues. While the wind was blowing breezy melodies at her. The shell let them teach her. She let them love her. And she also loved... She loved the sea and the wind.

She discover that her voice was to be given and she didn't want anything else than singing, even to the rocks. And the rocks liked it.

Alone, yes. But with the company of her voice.

And that is how, one day, not good nor bad, the Destiny met her.

The sunset was blushing the ocean as the grey sand spakled like the prelude of a starry night.

The Destiny was a very serious child: burdened with responsibilities, causes, chances and death.

He was walking by the shores of the young world, without noticing the multicolored show of the skies. He was sad. Rain curtains clouded his eyes. A light shiver covered him in chills.

"What's wrong, child Destiny", asked the shell, moved.

And the Destiny searched at his feet the little voice naming him. "Who are you?", asked him, pulling her out, without violence, of her sand prison.

"Shell", she said. And they looked at each other for a long time.

"Why are you crying inside?"

"Today I'm inventing the end", he said. And his voice filled the world with coldness. The sea suddenly stopped his unsatisfied falter. For the first time, the wind felt like he didn't have a place to go.

"I wanted the end", --sighed the shell--, "but it's sad".

The Destiny smiled, slightly. They understood each other.

"I'll give you a song", resolved the shell, "come close. It's just for you".

The sublime smile of the Destiny made the young world shiver with pleasure. With that peaceful face, the end could not be that bad. Proud of their shell, the sea and the wind sang as well, willing to take advantage of the time --little or long-- that they may have.

Laying down on the sand again, the shell watched the Destiny go away. Then she knew, at last, that she was not a piece of nothing, but a fragment of everything. And she sang another song. Just to celebrate.
If you survive, if you persist, sing, dream, get drunk
This is the time of coldness: love, hurry.
The wind of hours sweeps the streets, the roads.
The trees wait: but you don't have to wait
This is the time to live. The only one.
Jaime Sabines
LD

Re: The shell

Post by LD »

Oh, My goodness, Maya, that is so beautiful. So amazing. Your words are so real I can feel the sand, sun, and wind. I can almost feel the breath of the child on my cheek.
wow. Thank you.
peace
LD
Last edited by Jonesy on Fri May 18, 2012 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT
MayaSantiago

Post by MayaSantiago »

THANK YOU :) LD!!!
Jaime Sabines
amalivo6

Post by amalivo6 »

brillent so sad and happy saying one thing meaning another. i do that a lot of the time in my poems. fantasic
Last edited by Jonesy on Fri May 18, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed MT to NT
MayaSantiago

Post by MayaSantiago »

Thanks Amalivo6 :)))))
I feel shy before posting my writings but it feels REALLY good when people say nice things about them.
THANKS.
Maya
Jaime Sabines
there

Post by there »

MS,
Your story is so good to read today.
It weaves the strands of hope and pain, sorrow, fear, joy, and love into a firm, flexible net to catch my heart in.

and I love the sea and shore. you gave it all so much life.

ty.
All women are beautiful. Period.
I deserve better than survival.
MayaSantiago

Post by MayaSantiago »

(((((((((There)))))))) Gracias!
You don't know how difficult it is for me toshow what I write in 3d life. But here I feel safe anough, and of top of receiving nice comments...! It is such a great feeling.
Thank you again.
Maya
Jaime Sabines