My partner and I

A discussion area for anyone who loves a survivor and needs some support of their own.

Moderators: Aspen, Jonesy, Harbor

Josefin

Re: My partner and I

Post by Josefin »

He's a soft, gentle, caring man and an empath, and one of the few gentlemen left. There's much to love. He's not afraid facing his issues either. He's cried in front of me many times, breaking down. I've been there for him, as he's been there for me, when my family's been evil towards me. I cried when things happened to me, so in free. I just drag with an evil family that tries, that I have to keep at bay. But I don't feel held down by them. It's just.. I don't know what this will take of me, and I've suffered enough, I don't want to suffer anymore, the consequences of his past. I want to live, when I can. I feel I'm not strong enough to take the consequences of what he's been through, if they come, and I can't handle forever living isolated in a house. So I don't know what to do, and I wish I knew.
the husband

Re: My partner and I

Post by the husband »

HI Josefin

Welcome to the forum, though I am sorry that you need to be here.

I have read this thread with interest. I see parallels between your experience and mine with our partners. I do wonder if your partner is severely depressed. It is not unusual for somebody who is depressed, particularly if they are very intelligent, to get by at work and then isolate at home.

I am also curious about your partner's physical symptoms. I know you said you are drug free, but the constipation, vomiting, lethargy, and so forth suggests chronic opiate use and dependence. Considering his chronic pain history, it seems possible that he might be using some sort of pain medication.

Your partner probably would benefit from counseling for his psychiatric issues as well as somebody to consult regarding his pain management, but I hear you saying he is resistant. I can imagine that he is fearful about being given a psychiatric diagnosis he does not want, and if he does have a pain medication problem that might be interfered with. He may not be able to see a benefit.

There is no way you can make him manage his issues if he isn't motivated to do so for himself, but you can certainly manage your own issues. You deserve to be happy and well. Once you have begun that process, you may be able to see new opportunities.