How can she love me so much?

Discussion area for adult survivors who are afraid they might hurt others physically, sexually, emotionally, and/or verbally. Also an area for those who have harmed someone physically, sexually, emotionally, and/or verbally and want to heal. Sexual addiction can also be discussed.

Moderators: Harmony, Aspen, ajei

TiredOfEverything

How can she love me so much?

Post by TiredOfEverything »

Ugh... I feel so bad.

I have a 2 year old and sometimes I'm so mean to her.

I work full time, go to school full time, and I am a single mom of a gorgeous 2 year old that I LOVE with my whole heart. The problem is that I am so stressed out, lonely, and tired, that sometimes I lash out at her.

Of course it's not an everyday thing... but it happens, and it makes me feel so bad. Sometimes she is so naughty (a 2 year old, what can you expect) and she gets in these huge messes that then I have to clean, together with the whole house, right after work, and before my homework. I feel I can't do it all! I am so stressed out!

When I am mean, it feels like it's not me. As in, she'll do something annoying, and sometimes I will get this rage inside of me that is not normal... and I will say and do things that I can't control. I have never hit her (besides a spank on the butt at times, on the diaper, which I am anyways trying to stop doing) but I have said things like "you are ruining my life, you ruined my life" while she is looking at me crying. When this happens, I try to stop. It's like my mouth is talking and my mind is fighting saying STOP STOP STOP, and I can't :?

Anyways, I just pushed her off the couch (didn't harm her, just put her on the floor) because she kept playing like she was going to fall... and told her now she had to stay on the floor. Of course right immediately I apologized and let her in the couch, but I'm feeling like a bad person again.

And the worst(best?) part is that she loves me unconditionally. It just makes me feel even worse. Like, I don't deserve her love, she is too good for me. I'm so scared of messing her life up because my life was bad. I just want her to grow up happy, and for me to be a good mom...

Do you ever feel this way? Any advice on how to manage everything going on in my life? I've been thinking about paying someone to clean my house, so at least I won't have to worry about that part...
lonelylife

Re: How can she love me so much?

Post by lonelylife »

Hi,
I was wondering if your expectations of a 2-yr-old were perhaps negatively influenced by your own childhood. In particular 2-yr-olds don't really know how to be naughty, they don't really know any better about most things, and they don't understand danger yet either. And they really won't remember yet if they are told not to do something, because they aren't old enough. It's good you are talking about it, I was also wondering if you've shared this with your therapist. Without knowing much of your story, I don't know what your abuse was like, but abusers are of course full of misconceptions about children that if it's all we've seen, can get passed down if there isn't something to counter them. Maybe your therapist can help locate information about small kids, what they are really like. At such a young age their actions are just mostly exploration and impulse, not well-thought out plans yet at all. Maybe they can also help you find ways to redirect both your child's activities and your own responses. Children at that age cannot really play without trying to get into things that they shouldn't be in because of the fact they don't know, and all things are equal to them. A dangerous thing looks just the same to them as a toy because they cannot differentiate. Two years, when one thinks about it, is not a long time to have been in the world. Their brains are still growing at a rapid rate, everything is new and unfamiliar and they don't even really understand reality, permanence, danger, and other stuff yet. In fact it'll be years before they more fully do. Another thing that could maybe help is maybe there could be ways to watch for when you're feeling overwhelmed, and once you have the child to safety, removing yourself from the room for a few moments to calm yourself down. Another thought is that childproofing the areas she has access to could allow her to play and explore in a way that is more safe for her. Unfortunately children that age don't know how to keep themselves safe, we have to make the areas they are as safe as we can, and even then we have to watch. Toddlers are alot like puppies, chewing through wires (ok that might be an exaggeration) and having bathroom accidents and having boundless energy and constantly busy and exploring, and if they get a few moments they will get into things, just by natural curiosity. Childproof cabinet locks, and maybe portable gates between rooms can ensure she stays within your sight so you can monitor her activities. Also taking time to play with her can help wear her out, as will perhaps a set bedtime routine, some of these things you may already be doing. I don't know how with work and school you can find time but a housekeeper could indeed also be a good way to relieve some of the burden of doing it all yourself.
mary jane

Post by mary jane »

oh yes, they can push your buttons. I know exactly what you mean. I am living with my friend's 19 months old boy and I'm raising and teaching him, too and he is sooo naughty! he is so very active and his mom has a hard time hearing him cry (so he cries whenever he wants something, he IS really using that to his advantage). she feels a bit overwhelmed and stressed out sometimes so she's not usually very consistent in telling him off (which I think is really important - otherwise they'll get mixed messages, e.g. sometimes it's ok to do this and sometimes not or 'I'll get away with it because I got away with it before).
if I hadn't lived with that kid I would have never believed how clever such a small child could be. of course they aren't naughty for nothing. it is what they do because they have to check out boundaries and no, they cannot understand danger & know why something is wrong. they are just kids! they're not wrong or anything. in fact it's great they are playing that way and not shy to do new things.
anyway, I do know how difficult it can be if they just won't listen. I take him, make him sit down and look at my eyes (he refuses) and tell him quietly but firmly off (do not touch the stove - dangerous). it takes a lot of patience to teach kids like that - I'm sure they'll listen straight away if they're scared (beating, abusive behavior) :?
sometimes I get these flashes of anger which pass through my whole body!! I then need to leave the room. It happened when he was screaming and I really couldn't take it.
it is easy though: I'm not the mom and can just get away from the situation. I have been so worried I could lash out one day. I would hate myself forever. it would be inexcusable.
I am so afraid to be like my mother!!! and I do have the potential!! that's why I never wanted kids. :(

not much advice but I do understand what it's like!! she is triggering you!! it's nothing rational that goes on when she does. you are overreacting (like me) but doing all those things does sound very tough indeed. I'm sure you'd cope better if you had some more help.

edit: I forgot to say... once you realize why you feel so angry/stressed (because of your childhood/mother/EA/VA or whatever it was) it takes away the force. understand that it's not you being a horrible person but a reaction to your experiences, then take a moment to calm down. maybe this is something you could try.
TiredOfEverything

****Triggers SA/PA****

I agree with both of your posts.

I mean, I know that everything you said is true. As in, I know it's normal for kids to make messes, and sometimes yell at you, and throw their toys everywhere, etc etc. But when I clean the whole house and then it gets messed again, and I can't clean it anymore because a) I'm tired b) I have to study, it is VERY frustrating.

Pretty much, my mom was the one that most abused me when I was child... Not just doing things herself, but not protecting me at all. I mean, she would have sex in front of me, get drunk all the time, and when other people/kids sexually abused me, she did nothing about it, and let it happen. She also tried to kill me once (which she denies, I guess she can't remember since she was so drunk) and since then I locked my bedroom door at night because I was scared she was going to kill me in my sleep.

When I lashed out at my 2 year old, and I told her about ruining my life.... I told her what my mom used to say to me. I was so scared about my reaction, that I cried for hours, and then I looked for a therapist. I really feel like I'm channeling my anger from my abuse in these moments, even though I know that really she is being a normal kid. Again, it's anger that I can barely control, it just bursts out of my mouth :? I have to add.. Besides from those moments, I think I'm a very loving mom... I mean, we cuddle, I tell her all the time that I love her, we do fun things on the weekends, etc

I just wish I could change the part of me freaking out and saying horrible things from time to time, when I get angry about something. I was thinking about taking Prozac, because I have heard that it helps you avoid outbursts and maintain you in a pretty balanced mood...
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Trigger warning added to post
lonelylife

Post by lonelylife »

Hi guys,
If a kid cries it's because they're frustrated. If they aren't finding something being addressed, that's when the crying kicks in. It could be either something they need--food, changing, the obvious stuff, or something they want--to be acknowledged, to have something, a toy, a shiny object. Of the things they want, there could be several possibilities--something they can have or something that they shouldn't have because we (adults) know that it's not for children, or something we might not want them to have at the moment which is for children, just that they may have found a game for it that WE as adults don't find to be a good idea at the moment. Like a throwing game for a big hard toy. Even the smartest toddler doesn't have an agenda, because they just cannot. I think in maybe trying not to assign motives to their behaviors, that could be one of the ways it could keep adult frustration levels in check. As in avoiding thinking "this kid is just doing this because..." I've seen a number of kids this age and the approach of the adult makes a big difference. If a kid is throwing something hard and dangerous, give them a small stuffed toy and let them throw that instead. Throw it back and try to turn it into a game of catch--those are just some of the ideas for possible redirects of a kid's attention. If they occasionally figure out the mechanics of actually catching the thing there can be much delight in that on their parts as well as the adults. Praise also goes a long way to make a child feel content too. "Wow, you caught one! Good job." Because they're so little their attention can usually pretty easily be turned to something else. For some reason they love to see and hear and shake keys. If they're in the throwing moment they'll throw those too though. But sometimes the moment can be redirected more towards just a shaking the object moment than a throwing one. I'm sorry but an 18 month old cannot be made to sit still or look in someone's eyes because even if it happens, it's not by the child's will, but by the fact that if you sit there long enough doing that, eventually a child will have to look towards someone, but that is not the natural state, and when/if they look that's not going to equate with knowing what you're talking about, they're just looking. If they were going to know what an adult was talking about, it wouldn't have been so hard to get them to look in the first place. They cannot be made to have a memory level that they don't yet have. The reason they start to throw things at an early age is literally to figure out how to make things happen--it's literal cause and effect. And also to see what things look like in motion. If you watch learning babies and toddlers, they drop things repetitively to see them fall, to study how they can be the catalyst for movement. Not to annoy anyone. They just got here and this is an exciting place and there are many things to discover. And when they see they can make things fall, fly, bang, what have you, they will do it. If a child sees an adult react in anger they will try to emulate anger too, and if a child feels frustrated because of being restrained in movement as opposed to redirected, they will often develop angry outbursts as a response. A battle of the wills can have more unintended negative responses than a redirect. I don't mean in a removal from a dangerous situation where a kid has to be moved away from something. They can't be allowed of course near the stove but they will sometimes try to get to it if it hits their attention, not to spite adults but because they don't remember that early yet that stove means danger. It just becomes our job to keep them away from it, as opposed to thinking that telling them about it and then letting them negotiate that on their own will be enough.

If the adult approaches the child in a nurturing way and does not expect the child to safely govern their own play, the child will not be able to get into as much because the adult is keeping the child's play guided and directed. I have a child, I can honestly say I was fortunate never to have these problems, but I did make lots of time to devote to making sure his environment was safe and then I was able to watch and interacted with my child alot, and also my h was able to when he was at home from work as well. They need lots of interaction of a positive nature in their early years especially. And they need supervised play. They cannot just play alone if there are things that can be a danger around because they cannot internalize what is bad for them and what is not, even when "told" and especially not when hit. I personally don't advocate hitting a child at any age but to each his own in that area. I certainly wouldn't advocate tapping or disciplining a child that isn't mine, at all. I think if I heard the child screaming and felt I might react in anger, personally I'd advocate getting the child's mother who claims not to be able to hear it and tell them to go tend to their child. A child of that age playing alone is only going to eventually lead to one mishap after another anyway, unless that child is secured inside a playpen or one of those play fences--it's a huge playpen-like play area without a floor to it, and even still the child needs frequent human interaction on a regular basis, and the play area should really only be used in brief spurts here and there during a day. And even it is no guarantee because kids can walk the one without a floor over to what they want to get at. When I needed to do work around the house, I used to set that play area up in the room I was going to be in if I knew I'd have stretches where I couldn't keep as much of an eye out, and then I'd talk with my child and work, and I'd play in brief moments when I could, and of course my child had the toys in there that were most interesting to him at that moment, and then I'd circulate in other toys too and maybe trying to get the child started on a game by modeling play with a toy could help for a few brief stretches. Like pretending to receive a phone call on a toy phone and then hand it to a child saying "it's for you" can lead to some delightful moments from a child--but of course then they also want to have it be "for you" too and so there's always that. :D I would also suggest looking at lots of footage of toddlers on youtube, say, just to see how kids of that age move and interact with the world they are learning about. Find kids that look like they've had alot of interaction. Watch feeding time when they bang spoons. This is giving themselves feedback--"when I bang the spoon it makes a noise, and I also feel it vibrating my hands." They don't know or care, or even remember, that an adult just cleaned the house, that an adult doesn't like something, or might find it annoying, because they don't know anything outside themselves and their needs yet, and their memory is still very short. Their brains aren't physically even fully formed yet. Looking at things through an adult's eyes runs the risk of assigning motives to a little kid that they just do not have. It's the adult's issue about what aggravates the adult, not a toddler's. Remembering that if a toddler could behave as an adult they would be adults and not toddlers could also help to ground the situation. They learn as they grow into more memory permanence, which happens over time and we can only wait, and keep them safe until they do. Telling them what not to do will eventually kick in over time but right now it only sets the stage by repetition of the adult saying it until their cognition catches up with them, over time as they age more. They will eventually begin to associate the words stop with the action of stopping, but right now it's just not going to be consistent. It's a long road with kids, it takes a long time before their brains catch up with their curiosities. There are also a number of books on the topic which could be helpful but I don't know any offhand.

Oh another thought--sometimes, even though they've recently eaten, they could just want more food and become cranky because they're hungry again. We used to always feed until the child loses interest in the food and doesn't want to take more. But sometimes that lasts for a shorter time depending on how active they are at given moments.
Last edited by lonelylife on Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TiredOfEverything

Though I agree with your post, I think that maybe you have misunderstood me.

1) I don't hit her (except like I said, maybe a pat on the diaper from time to time, that anyways I am trying to stop doing).
2) I know everything she does is normal (making messes, etc), that's not the problem.

The problem is that I am a 20 years old single mom. I am working full time, going to school full time, have NO friends, and I am still traumatized by my childhood. When all that gets together and I get upset... The anger inside of me comes out and says bad stuff that I don't mean.

So my post was not about "my child is so bad, that's why I am angry" It was more like "my child does annoying things (like any other normal child) and from time to time, I can't control the way I react to those things, help!"

Hope that makes sense...
lonelylife

Post by lonelylife »

Hi, tired of,
I was actually responding to both your and mary jane's posts. I also understood you to be alone and that's why I was saying I knew it was a bit different for me with having an h to kind of do some things (though I didn't add that my h could really sit on his butt and be of little help sometimes when he got the notion :D ). I think it's great you're addressing and looking into ways of being more proactive with your child. The abuse we suffered brings so much hardship for us to navigate and it really isn't fair that we have the burden.
audacious

Post by audacious »

Hi, Tired.
I can relate to your situation. You want so much to be a better mom than what you had (and YOU ARE!) but you find yourself imprinted with all these negative reactions. My daughter played me like a harp, so to speak. Not that she did so intentionally. I couldn't understand for a long time why I was so easily angered and reactionary with her. I knew it was completely irrational. I banged my head against the wall trying to keep myself from yelling at her and scaring her. I finally figured out that it was transference. I was transferring anger for myself and for my mom onto to my daughter. But even further, when I started connecting with my inner child, started doing my best to give my inner child what she needed; I finally had a reference point for how to nurture my own kids. We didn't get the love, the nurturing, the play that we needed as children. Compassionately reaching out to that little girl in you, understanding how deeply she needed it will help you connect with your daughter and make it a little easier to forgo those preprogrammed negative reactions. I say easier... raising kids isn't easy and you're doing it alone. Another thing I found to be helpful was to make sure she was safe and go have a moment to myself.
Give yourself a pat on the back, Lady! You're doing good by juggling all that you are and looking out for your daughter's healthy mental health development. A lot of parents go into survival mode when they've got too much on their plate, totally forgetting the kids have feelings, too.
Aud
The basic rule of dysfunctional families everywhere: "Don't talk, don't trust, don't feel." And here we are talking, trusting, and feeling! Every time we do, it's a small victory.
abusewarrior

Post by abusewarrior »

Dear Tired:
I am not a mother so I can offer no advice, but I think you are very brave for posting here. So many people feel so overwhelmed by parenting and it is wonderful that you are sharing your fears. I believe that being a mother is the hardest job in the world. I cannot imagine trying to do it as a survivor. I just wanted to offer you my support because I know how hard this was to post and to feel so vulnerable. You are not alone. We all feel so overwhelmed sometimes and though they may be about different things, I know what it is to be scared that you might do anything to cause harm. It is a very normal feeling for a survivor. Be gentle with yourself.
Safe Hugs, if okay
(((Tired)))
Abuse Warrior
Whataboutme

Post by Whataboutme »

Alice Miller has a theory in one of her books that, in times of great external stress, we can 'snap back' into acting just as our abusers acted towards us, even when the rest of the time we don't. I think there's a lot of truth in this from my experience with my own toddler (as single mum who works too).

It is very understandable that you feel at the end of your tether sometimes with all you have on your plate. Can you get any extra support.

The lovely Beachlady on isurvive here recommended a book i found second-hand on Amazon called 'Self-Esteem: A Family Affair'. It deals with parenting toddlers who always say 'no'. It's a wonderfully encouraging book, can't recommend enough (not that you have time to read, but maybe you can find a tiny bit of time).

Whataboutme