What is real?

A discussion area specifically for survivors who suffered physical, emotional, and verbal child abuse. This forum can also be used for Members who suffered sexual abuse at the time of physical, emotional and verbal abuse.

Moderators: Harmony, quixote, ajei

chickadee

What is real?

Post by chickadee »

I have a difficult time with reality sometimes. Growing up, my family was very good at pretending things were normal even though they were not.

I think I trained myself to believe an idealized version of reality. I've always had a really good imagination, and I escaped into books and stories.

Now I'm getting out of an abusive marriage, and for years I believed that things were normal in my marriage even though they weren't. My ex was abusive, and he twisted my reality. I had to believe what he believed in order for my marriage to work. I logically know that he was abusive, but I catch myself doubting myself. When will this doubt ever end? Will it end?

I am working with a therapist who is helping me, but I get frustrated with myself. Will I ever be able to believe myself again?
"These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb." - Najwa Zebian

chickadee
IMA

Re: What is real?

Post by IMA »

Chickadee

I too have came from an abusive relationship and I can relate to your struggles with reality sometimes and I am here supporting you.

IMA
wolfspirit

Re: What is real?

Post by wolfspirit »

chickadee,
I do think you will believe yourself as you continue to ground your thoughts in reality.
I admire how you face the truth now, instead of living in a state of someone else's perspective or beliefs.
You recognize that the truth protects you and supports you. It doesn't threaten or demean you.

<3
ws
Wounds are where the light enters you.
Rumi